If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you live and why?

Kampot
14%
Sihanoukville
9%
Siem Reap
9%
Phnom Penh
34%
Battambang
5%
Koh Rong
2%
Poipet
No votes
Kep
7%
Kratie
5%
(other)
16%

Total votes: 58
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

Post by La Quenta »

For someone who has done a reasonable amount of travelling and work abroad, and wants to set up camp in Cambodia for an extended period - lets say 1 year.......What's the best choice for overall lifestyle?

Are there better choices for digital nomads as opposed to retirees or English teachers?

Where are people more honest? Where is it safest? Where is most interesting? Where is most stimulating?

Keen to hear....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

Post by John Bingham »

There are few western amenities outside the capital. Many other cities are all in decay because of the disappearance of tourism. For good connections Phnom Penh is the only viable option.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A place that is not on the list.

Spoiler:
:thumb: thanks Researcher
i owe you one
the whole province does
we love a bloke who can keep a secret
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

I said snooky, mainly because there are some beaches and condos, malls and some nightlife. I don’t mind these Chinese. Will just ignore them same how they ignore me. Siem Reep i visited 12 years ago and it was just a boring small town. PP its hectic place not suitable for living fulltime longterm imho.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 pm PP its hectic place not suitable for living fulltime longterm imho.
Did you grow up in the countryside? Phnom Penh is way less hectic than almost any capital I have visited.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I said PP because every time I go to Cambodia its for 2 months at a clip. I am a city guy but I have thought that when I make a bigger move I would want to explore some other areas
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:48 pm
Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 pm PP its hectic place not suitable for living fulltime longterm imho.
Did you grow up in the countryside? Phnom Penh is way less hectic than almost any capital I have visited.
It’s just a filthy disgusting place …
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

La Quenta wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:12 pm For someone who has done a reasonable amount of travelling and work abroad, and wants to set up camp in Cambodia for an extended period - lets say 1 year.......What's the best choice for overall lifestyle?

Are there better choices for digital nomads as opposed to retirees or English teachers?

Where are people more honest? Where is it safest? Where is most interesting? Where is most stimulating?

Keen to hear....
Good question, but now with the situation of the pandemic it kind of makes a few changes.
Where to stay for a period of one year, and have a good lifestyle. Again the situation at this time will almost have some effect on the person and their intended outlook on how they wish to live.
It's difficult to put the Covid19 situation to one side, it's not something that anyone can ignore, so it will obviously take effect on one's lifestyle and welfare.
If the question was asked previous, I would have said that if the person was visiting for a period of a year, why not travel around and get to see and know more of the country. That may be more difficult with transport and places to stay, again I would say most look at the situation on a daily basis with recent travel bans, lockdowns and curfews.
Has for a person coming here for work, why not if they have professional skills that are needed in Camboda, but has for teachers, the schools have been closed a long time, and may take sometime to reopen and get back to running normal in the future.
You mentioned, better choices for digital nomads, firstly they would need good wifi and connections, that will probably limit them to a city. I really can't answer on the legal side of this work, such has can the person now get a work visa and permit for such work, also not forgetting that the country has very few bilateral tax agreement's with other countries.
Safety concerns are up to the individual too take their own precautions, such has a safe environment, and take care of yourself and your possessions at all times.
Honestly, again this will be down to your own judgement for there are good and bad the world over.
Health, would be a good question! What can you afford or do about something going wrong that you never expected?
I don't exactly know or what I would personally think at this time, if let's say I was in my own country thinking about travel. But because of the pandemic and the situation, I think I would feel more comfortable and safe in my own counties surroundings and environment, with better understanding of what was happening, and with knowing what care and treatment available if needed.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

If I were a 'digital nomad' I would go Vietnam. It's going through an economic boom yet is cheaper to live in than Cambodia.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm If I were a 'digital nomad' I would go Vietnam. It's going through an economic boom yet is cheaper to live in than Cambodia.
On what visa?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic