If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you live and why?

Kampot
14%
Sihanoukville
9%
Siem Reap
9%
Phnom Penh
34%
Battambang
5%
Koh Rong
2%
Poipet
No votes
Kep
7%
Kratie
5%
(other)
16%

Total votes: 58
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Re: If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

Post by Strawberryshake »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:48 pm
Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 pm PP its hectic place not suitable for living fulltime longterm imho.
Did you grow up in the countryside? Phnom Penh is way less hectic than almost any capital I have visited.
Nop always been a city guy but what annoys me about PP is that for example these motorcycles have a tendency for using the pedestrian pavements. Then the lack of parks , greens. Anyway what do u think is so great about PP maybe I overlooked it?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I commented on the thread already.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm If I were a 'digital nomad' I would go Vietnam. It's going through an economic boom yet is cheaper to live in than Cambodia.
Almost overnight Vietnam has become unviable as a place for Digital Nomads due to the new visa laws.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:35 pm There are few western amenities outside the capital. Many other cities are all in decay because of the disappearance of tourism. For good connections Phnom Penh is the only viable option.
What western amenities are missing from Sihanoukville and Siem Reap? Also pre-covid connections from Siem Reap and Sihanoukville were pretty good.

Also interesting to see Sihanoukville getting so much votes comparing to all the negative comments in threads about Sihanoukville.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Also interesting to see Sihanoukville getting so much votes comparing to all the negative comments in threads about Sihanoukville.
People are hoping the tide will turn and it will become habitable again.
May be good timing for business minded people to stake out a pitch if it is thought that tourism will soon come back.
I am Assuming the infrastructure upgrades like sewer and power are complete now?
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

well, I like the ocean draft/ sea breeze and to look at the sun setting over the ocean with a cold beverage next to me. So Snooky it is for me!

And yes, I have noticed that there have been some ongoing construction in Snooky over the last five years, but there must still be a nice spot on the outside of the city left for me?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kampot but Sihanoukville in a few years.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kampot for me. I absolutely love it there. There are so many places around the outskirts to sit and relax next to the river. I just find the whole vibe of the place very peaceful and relaxing. And on the odd occasions I need to pop back to PP for some reason, I can get there and back easily within a day.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

nemo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:12 pm
People are hoping the tide will turn and it will become habitable again.
May be good timing for business minded people to stake out a pitch if it is thought that tourism will soon come back.
I am Assuming the infrastructure upgrades like sewer and power are complete now?
That could be.

Road and major sewer network upgrades completed. Wastewater facilities and water supply are upgraded in phases and first phases were completed last year but for example behind Sokha the water treatment facility phase two upgrades are still on going. Haven't heard citywide blackouts or water outages happen anymore for over a year now.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

As a retiree traveller with wife I second Kratie as it is small, cheap to stay and still has a little of that original cambo vibe. The surrounding area is stunning if you love nature and relax contary to bars and having fun.

Choice of western food and/or good restaurants is limited but as we love to cook as much as possible, ingredients for lovely home cooked food are all there. 5-10 liter of good olive oil will make my stay even more comfortable on a long stay.

From time to time we fly out for a thai/filippino beach holiday (to some remote island) to have our share of beach time. Evey couple of weeks a visit to PP or BKK (better) to have some city life. Cambodia beaches have mostly lost their appeal beeing overpriced or horribly developped...or with no service at all (im out of Robinson Crusoe lifestyle).
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic