Maintaining SIM card

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Maintaining SIM card

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello all,

Am gone now and looking to keep a certain SIM/ phone number. One is cellcard and one is Smart. Does anyone know how often you have to add money to keep it active? Can you just add credit using something like ABA or their mobile app ?

Thanks for help.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Maintaining SIM card

Post by timmydownawell »

I have a recurring payment on my ABA app, but sometimes it inexplicably fails. That could be a problem if you're offshore and don't have access to the app.

Theoretically you could have $1/week payment for a plan that costs $1/week, if only it reliably worked.

Or on Smart, change to Xtralong? https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/xtralong/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:54 pm I have a recurring payment on my ABA app, but sometimes it inexplicably fails. That could be a problem if you're offshore and don't have access to the app.

Theoretically you could have $1/week payment for a plan that costs $1/week, if only it reliably worked.

Or on Smart, change to Xtralong? https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/xtralong/
Thanks for your reply, I was under the impression that you could add some credit like once every two months, for most of them, and it would remain active. I think I read that once on here. And I was using different SIMs while in Cambodia and that seemed about right. If I added credit at the last minute before two months it was maintained.

Some plans are also $1 for two weeks, like Osja Exchange of Cellcard.

When you say it "inexplicably fails", you mean the recurring payment, the ABA app, or??
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:54 pm I have a recurring payment on my ABA app, but sometimes it inexplicably fails. That could be a problem if you're offshore and don't have access to the app.

Thanks for your reply, I was under the impression that you could add some credit like once every two months, for most of them, and it would remain active. I think I read that once on here. And I was using different SIMs while in Cambodia and that seemed about right. If I added credit at the last minute before two months it was maintained.

When you say it "inexplicably fails", you mean the recurring payment, the ABA app, or??
Yes, the app would just display "payment failed" occasionally.

Maybe you're right about just having credit and not a plan. Chat online to Smart or whoever to ask, is your best bet.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I don't think it matters with Cellcard if you keep adding money or not. If you're away and not actively using the SIM, you'll lose the number after 3 months whether you have credit or not.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm I don't think it matters with Cellcard if you keep adding money or not. If you're away and not actively using the SIM, you'll lose the number after 3 months whether you have credit or not.
OK, so you think it's 3 months for cellcard... and you think that the issue is not about credit, or not having credit, but that the SIM is not active in the mobile network?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Yes. I believe that's the case with Cellcard. I believe you can get a 3 month contract with Smart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 pm

i just got a new Metfone sim an am using this: looked at the others an its the best for long term an not losing ur number

https://www.metfone.com.kh/en/mobile/prepaid/4-ever

Now just for those who say i always say thailand is better.
I can add 10 baht 12 times at one time and have 120 baht credit and my number stays good and mine for 1 year..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Good tip from Doc , smart users can get 90days extend for $2

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I have a smart-sim card since 2016 and usually i come in august and december to KOW, every year i ask somebody to top up 1 dollar in may or june, and doing that for years without problems. In my eyes if you top up within 6 months, you keep the number.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic