Computer Repair - hardware

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Computer Repair - hardware

Post by Doc67 »

Hey Techies

My laptop is literally falling to pieces. When I first bought it (2nd hand) the hinge on the right hand side was a bit dodgy. Eventually, after a lot of crunching and snapping noises, bits fell out of the thing and this made an improvement.

Now the other side is going the same way and more bits are falling out. I think they are part of the hinge mechanism.

It still opens but has a crunching and grinding noise and I expect more pieces to make an appearance.

Can anyone recommend a repairer that can take it apart, remove what is loose and broken and maybe even replace them?

As always, many thanks in advance.

First the right side

Now the left side

Bits being ejected
rabbit_ear
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Computer Repair - hardware

Post by rabbit_ear »

I have the same problem. I have an old Asus Zenbook, first right hinge started cracking, pushing top and bottom apart like in your picture. I had it fixed at PSC, cost me 20$ and worked fine. Couple of weeks later the left hinge does the same. 20$ again. Couple of months later right hinge starts making problems again, went back to PSC, they fixed it for free, but they said they don’t really give guarantee on this kind of repair. 5 yr old laptop, not using original parts (which would cost a fortune and take weeks to order). So anyway, couple of weeks later it starts again, so now I’m just not closing the lid. Is ok though, I’m only using it on my desk.
I’m thinking now maybe for this kind of thing PSC is not the best place to go though, people in some small shop might have more experience or better ideas for this kind of problem.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Laptops don't need upgrading so much nowadays. That exposes these mechanical problems I suppose.
Why not leave the lid up? Just put it to sleep via control panel. Cover it with a cloth to keep the dust off.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 am Laptops don't need upgrading so much nowadays. That exposes these mechanical problems I suppose.
Why not leave the lid up? Just put it to sleep via control panel. Cover it with a cloth to keep the dust off.
I might have to. But I move it everyday, in the daytime it's desktop, in the afternoon/evening it's my TV content storage and drive the TV via an HDMI.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rabbit_ear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 am I have the same problem. I have an old Asus Zenbook, first right hinge started cracking, pushing top and bottom apart like in your picture. I had it fixed at PSC, cost me 20$ and worked fine. Couple of weeks later the left hinge does the same. 20$ again. Couple of months later right hinge starts making problems again, went back to PSC, they fixed it for free, but they said they don’t really give guarantee on this kind of repair. 5 yr old laptop, not using original parts (which would cost a fortune and take weeks to order). So anyway, couple of weeks later it starts again, so now I’m just not closing the lid. Is ok though, I’m only using it on my desk.
I’m thinking now maybe for this kind of thing PSC is not the best place to go though, people in some small shop might have more experience or better ideas for this kind of problem.
Now I know this seems common, I might give them a try, it can't get much worse.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Maybe go into settings and change the settings under the link called, "What closing the lid does" mute it down to nothing, the little hinges and parts that are broken or compromised ought to not be sending any commands at all to be safe. Once you are comfortable that the lid open or closed does no communication with the rest of the machine you can find a tinkerer to create or modify the hinges on it now. I'd suggest the snarky boy wonder owner of Quick fix (Russian mkt area he's listed on google) but he's likely to scoff and tell you to replace the machine or at least the box that the laptop lives in. For a lot more shots at getting it repaired at a shop or at an on the corner misc. (mostly phone) tinkerer I would write out a zero liability statement to the repairer absolving the fixer of and all damage that may occur in the fixing of the hinges now or in future use. That you accept the outcome regardless of any problems in the future and that you guarantee no actions will be taken against the repairer whatsoever and that you are happy enough with them now just to consider it and any attempts to fix it with an agreed upon price at the commencement of any repairs. Most of the time the shops just don't want the liability for this kind of repair, so write up a quick pre work agreement and translate it into Khmer and then you can just canvas shops around the high concentration of shops on Kampuchea Krom and around cross street 215 (Jawaharlal Nehru St.).

Everyone's is pliable but it helps to go up to chat with an affable older moto dop alongside you and be willing to get beers/coffee/smokes- that easily phrased zero liability doc should really help because the guys that are gonna fix it just don't want to get fried by their boss. If you do head up to Quick Fix to see boy wonder - he's the only competent one there, he s lanky and has lots of tattoos and he s the owner so the buck and everything there stops with him.

Good luck, Soksabai goes a long way with these guys, they don't want us cranky old barangs getting more cranky on them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic