Changing Visa Extension Category While Still Inside The Country ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Keaton Calhoun
Tourist
Ireland

Changing Visa Extension Category While Still Inside The Country ?

Post by Keaton Calhoun »

Is it possible to change your EOS visa Extension type while inside Cambodia; For example say you have an ES extension can you change it over to an EB Extension. Do you still need to leave the country and come back in order to switch visa types, and if so do you have to wait until your current visa expires to do so. Also, it is common for a most countries to have a visa category for being married to a local or having children with a local, is there an extension for this in Cambodia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Changing Visa Extension Category While Stil Inside The Country ?

Post by John Bingham »

I know someone who has this issue. They are retired and on an ER extension but recently started working part time just to keep busy. Is it easy to change ER to EB?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm I know someone who has this issue. They are retired and on an ER extension but recently started working part time just to keep busy. Is it easy to change ER to EB?
I was always under the impression that if a person was on an ER visa, that it was not possible to change/revert to a working visa
Keaton Calhoun
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Keaton Calhoun »

Maybe @PSD-Kiwi could chime in, he seems to be the resident expert on subjects such as this. [Mod edit: quoted him :-)]
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes, you can change your E-type EOS category in country, no dramas as long as you have the necessary supporting documentation (or an agent who can "provide" the necessary supporting documentation).

Reference 2nd question, no, you cannot change from an ER to any other EOS category in the same passport or a new passport in country...once you've been issued an ER you are considered legitimately retired...the concept of "coming out of retirement" is unheard of here.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Changing Visa Extension Category While Still Inside The Country ?

Post by DaveG »

Slightly off topic but I'm hearing some reports of being able to only spend 2 days in hotel quarantine and then completing the other days in own apartment subject to a negative covid test, is this complete shite or has anyone else heard these stories
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

DaveG wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm Slightly off topic but I'm hearing some reports of being able to only spend 2 days in hotel quarantine and then completing the other days in own apartment subject to a negative covid test, is this complete shite or has anyone else heard these stories
That is how the quarantine process was prior to November, I wish it would go back to that system as I'm sick n tired of having to waste 15 days in quarantine each time I come home for leave not to mention the money wasted, but I can't see it happening for a while as it's a cash cow...don't waste your time listening to rumours, wait for an official announcement to be published.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 am
DaveG wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm Slightly off topic but I'm hearing some reports of being able to only spend 2 days in hotel quarantine and then completing the other days in own apartment subject to a negative covid test, is this complete shite or has anyone else heard these stories
That is how the quarantine process was prior to November, I wish it would go back to that system as I'm sick n tired of having to waste 15 days in quarantine each time I come home for leave not to mention the money wasted, but I can't see it happening for a while as it's a cash cow...don't waste your time listening to rumours, wait for an official announcement to be published.
I know this is a crystal ball question, but do you think the 48 hour quarantine might be implemented if you have a Cambodian vaccination card fully completed and a negative test on arrival?

Or I am just engaging in wishful thinking?
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Since PSD-Kiwi is posting I will jump in with another question.

Normally I apply for my ER extension 1 month before expiration. it would be helpful if I could try earlier, say 2 months, to be on the safe side. Any idea/info if they are more flexible at this time?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pizzalover wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am Since PSD-Kiwi is posting I will jump in with another question.

Normally I apply for my ER extension 1 month before expiration. it would be helpful if I could try earlier, say 2 months, to be on the safe side. Any idea/info if they are more flexible at this time?
I tried and was turned down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic