Please help share one or two of your slang or idioms

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Please help share one or two of your slang or idioms

Post by vladimir »

'bozo', a clown, derogatory

'uriah', a very dodgy, slimy, untrustworthy individual, from the book by Dickens David Copperfield. The character Uriah Heep joined a law firm and sytematically robbed the senior partner of everything and tried to force him to give his daughter to him in marriage. Always had a sweaty handshake and always wringing his hands, never looked anyone in the eye.

dwart - a cross between a dwarf and a fart

china - friend, as in howzit my china?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

vladimir wrote:'

china - friend, as in howzit my china?
I think 'china' comes from the rhyming slang "china plate" meaning mate.

Ow yer goin' mate?*
Ow yer goin' china?

:hattip:

* How are you going, mate?
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

I just asked my mate Gareth Hunt , if the slang 'China' comes from the rhyming slang china plate, and he said yes....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

General Chatter wrote:I just asked my mate Gareth Hunt , if the slang 'China' comes from the rhyming slang china plate, and he said yes....
Well, I would suspect so seeing as it was his brother Mike Hunt who told me.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

(Rolling stone gathers no moss)

How my teacher explain me : Rolling stone gather no moss means if you are trying to do many unspecified things, you will never get ahead in anything. Then when i asked some native speakers they said the explanation is wrong. Wonder what do you guy think about this expression.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:(Rolling stone gathers no moss)

How my teacher explain me : Rolling stone gather no moss means if you are trying to do many unspecified things, you will never get ahead in anything. Then when i asked some native speakers they said the explanation is wrong. Wonder what do you guy think about this expression.
It means different things to different English-speaking groups, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rolling_ ... rs_no_moss
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:(Rolling stone gathers no moss)

It means different things to different English-speaking groups, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rolling_ ... rs_no_moss
Thanks for the link. It is so confusing actually, but i love learning about them.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

As someone who rarely lives in one city for more than a few years, I prefer this interpretation:
Another interpretation equates "moss" to "stagnation"; as such the proverb can also refer to those who keep moving as never lacking for fresh ideas or creativity.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:As someone who rarely lives in one city for more than a few years, I prefer this interpretation:
Another interpretation equates "moss" to "stagnation"; as such the proverb can also refer to those who keep moving as never lacking for fresh ideas or creativity.
I can feel it as you always move. I also like that explanation too. The one given by my teacher is not really reasonable to me.

General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

Samouth , you can lead a horse/ buffalo to water but you cant make him drink....if you really wanted to know the meanings you would look up on line all the idioms folks have shared...

dont ask for anymore definitions until you have looked them up first, or do you really wanna be spooned feed... :whip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic