Appendectomy in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Appendectomy in Cambodia

Post by newkidontheblock »

daeum_tnaot wrote:the appendix has no real purpose.
https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disord ... ve-purpose
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:40 pm My wife's family are in a flurry as her father seems to have appendicitis (the disease that he supposedly has is 'prawveean dawh knaing'). He lives in one of the provinces, and his son is going to drive out there to meet him. He should be having an operation in one of the provincial hospitals. My wife's brother is ready to sell his moto to save his father, but it seems to me this should not be a major operation with massive costs. Especially considering that the father has an ID Poor card.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of an appendectomy in Cambodia? At a state hospital? Would he be better off coming to Phnom Penh for help?

Thank you in advance for your help.
My neighbor had an appendectomy in the (Ratanakiri) provincial hospital for 50$, but he has one of those 'poor people club' membercards. any provincial hospital is able to do one.

He had to wait 48 hours for the surgeon to have time though. Tough hours.
padraigh
BANNED
Ireland

Post by padraigh »

What can one do to not get appendicitis? It has always worried me. When I am constipated which is frequent I get the pain in the region where the appendix is supposed to be and I wonder fearfully if it is not it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

padraigh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm What can one do to not get appendicitis? It has always worried me. When I am constipated which is frequent I get the pain in the region where the appendix is supposed to be and I wonder fearfully if it is not it.
Constipation discomfort is generally in your lower left quadrant, where the business end of the colon is. If you get it regularly it might be camera time.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

Go to a hospital ASAP to avoid peritonitis and sepsis. Whether it's appendicitis or something else will be revealed via a competently performed differential diagnosis.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:40 pm My wife's family are in a flurry as her father seems to have appendicitis (the disease that he supposedly has is 'prawveean dawh knaing'). He lives in one of the provinces, and his son is going to drive out there to meet him. He should be having an operation in one of the provincial hospitals. My wife's brother is ready to sell his moto to save his father, but it seems to me this should not be a major operation with massive costs. Especially considering that the father has an ID Poor card.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of an appendectomy in Cambodia? At a state hospital? Would he be better off coming to Phnom Penh for help?

My neighbor had an appendectomy in the (Ratanakiri) provincial hospital for 50$, but he has one of those 'poor people club' membercards. any provincial hospital is able to do one.

I would guess that 48 hours may have been a subtle message...

In this case my wife's father also has an ID Poor card and many things were free. We were surprised how much of it they provided for free. I think wife's brother had to pay a few doctor's a small amount, and also to pay for medicine. And they also only delayed it for two hours. Overall a good experience.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

padraigh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm What can one do to not get appendicitis? It has always worried me. When I am constipated which is frequent I get the pain in the region where the appendix is supposed to be and I wonder fearfully if it is not it.
Probably you should seek medical attention to find out the source of your problem. If you are concerned about it, you will feel better when you have asked a doctor.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 am

In this case my wife's father also has an ID Poor card and many things were free. We were surprised how much of it they provided for free. I think wife's brother had to pay a few doctor's a small amount, and also to pay for medicine. And they also only delayed it for two hours. Overall a good experience.
@d_t Thanks for the update. So, all good and he's recovering now ?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 pm

@d_t Thanks for the update. So, all good and he's recovering now ?
Hi Anchor Moy, we talked to him by phone a few days ago. The doctor wanted him to stay in the hospital for a few more days. He looked thin but seemed ok. There seems to be some lack of clarity about whether his appendix burst before the operation or not.

It's still strange how the health center in the district town didn't think he needed to be operated on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic