Favorite jobs, what was yours ?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Favorite jobs, what was yours ?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well it shakes a bit nowadays in the working department, many people move on others jobs due to many factors, willingly or not.

What was a job that you do or did, that evokes nostalgia, or that was surprinsigly entertaining / beneficial ?

Sometimes jobs are not what they look like, and some jobs remains unknown to most of us.
Any inspiration to give ?

I used to do that a while ago, by responding to an average job ad from the state's employment website. The ad was a bit cryptic, about printing and paint. Was very fortunate to find this, and kept it until it was closed, due to relocation to another region, far away. I miss it. Traditional handmade wallpaper printing, just like 200 years ago.

My colleague on pic, me on camera. A 2 people's job.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It's not easy, beetween the balance to hang the paper in heights, the one-shot paper's background coloring, and the layers over layers of colored patterns without a single miss or manufacturing defects. Layers can be up to 230 (yeah, sounds a lot, but it is the case on some unique printings i didn't do. I did up to 20 layers max).
High sales price, very delicate settings for production (weather, hydrometry, mix of additives in paint, recreating the original colors with pigments, paper quality, and so on...) high end niche market. 20 people do that in the country, at most. Some of the same company wallpapers are on the White House walls.

Ok, i'm starting high on this one, what can i say, but you guys surely have some various interesting stuff to show, right ? Could be weirder, bring it on
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Favorite jobs, what was yours ?

Post by phuketrichard »

Part time photographer on set for the Mitchell Brothers SF

2 years ski patrol Aspen Colorado
2 years ski photographer in Aspen

Peace corps Zaire
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:00 am Part time photographer on set for the Mitchell Brothers SF
Peace corps Zaire
Any photos ? Especially the Mitchell Brothers stripclub
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:35 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:00 am Part time photographer on set for the Mitchell Brothers SF
Peace corps Zaire
Any photos ? Especially the Mitchell Brothers stripclub
private, but can tell ya Marilyn was a doll
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Damn, i guess most of us got shitty jobs then, that a drag i didn't expect....
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

white truffle hunting comes very close to a dream job: spend your day in the pristine forest with your best buddy dogs that will find hidden treasures worth thousands of $$$ that you can easily sell to all the best restaurants of the world. This job also leaves enough time to travel the worid in the off season (6 months a year).
work is for people who cant find truffles
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

truffledog wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:00 am white truffle hunting comes very close to a dream job: spend your day in the pristine forest with your best buddy dogs that will find hidden treasures worth thousands of $$$ that you can easily sell to all the best restaurants of the world. This job also leaves enough time to travel the worid in the off season (6 months a year).
How did you end up with this ? It must be very long to get the proper trees at the proper age, to get truffles around them, and the dog training ? Family business ?
If you have some pics....to illustrate for the ones who don't know, and the ones which meth already melted half of the brain...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:31 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:00 am white truffle hunting comes very close to a dream job: spend your day in the pristine forest with your best buddy dogs that will find hidden treasures worth thousands of $$$ that you can easily sell to all the best restaurants of the world. This job also leaves enough time to travel the worid in the off season (6 months a year).
How did you end up with this ? It must be very long to get the proper trees at the proper age, to get truffles around them, and the dog training ? Family business ?
If you have some pics....to illustrate for the ones who don't know, and the ones which meth already melted half of the brain...
White truffles (the most expensive truffles) can only be found wild, its not posssible to "produce/farm" them artificially. So if you intend to hunt for those you have to move to an area where they grow naturally. I happen to live in one of those areas in the Marche Region of Central Italy. After working 20 years in an office I decided to turn my life around and become a full time truffle hunter and trader.

About 30% of the population in my village will have a trained dog and search for truffles during the harvesting season from october-december (white truffles). You will find hundreds of youtube videos about truffle hunting in Italy and other areas of the world.

Please note that there are also black truffles in the world but they are much less expensive and much more easy to find...I also hunt for those truffles but they are not my main source of income, more like a hobby to keep my dog "busy" and happy.

There is also the opportunity to become a truffle farmer and to plant truffle "infected" trees that will produce truffles (black truffles only) after 7-10 years growing.
work is for people who cant find truffles
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Two years as an adventure travel trek leader in western USA, Canada, Alaska, and Mexico/Central America. Rafting, bungee jumping, biking, hiking, horseback riding, sightseeing, snorkeling, sailing, and so on. Clients were mostly young (late teens/twenties) females from countries other than north America. And during the winter off season I would work ski resort jobs in Colorado and New Mexico.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Looking for shit. That's what i love.
Looking for precious shit out in the badlands where not many homo sapiens go.

Highlights.
.Diamond exploration in a very remote part the Northern Territory. Camping on a billabong with the geologist and the chopper pilot for near six months. Covering new ground every day, by air and on foot. Stunning country.
.Hunting out, on foot at night, the most isolated and hardcore junkies in the mean streets of gritty inner city Sydney in the early days of the Aids Wars. Outer orbit outreach to hand out fits and pass the word on safe injecting.
the very pointy end of the acclaimed "Worlds most successful HIV program anywhere ever". (The NSW needle and syringe exchange program, largely led by us junkies, stopped the virus dead in its tracks. HIV never got a look-in to our community).
. Two particular bird hunts in Cambodia. Both critically endangered and tiny populations. Both the subject of major conservation efforts.
One on the coast and one on the lake. Both hunts bagged our birds. Me - guide and logistics.

I love this shit because i don't like people, put simply.
or i should say, i trust myself around nature and wild animals - and i am hopeless around humans. (as you all know)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic