Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

Post by The Judge »

Ahh, the answer for everything in the KOW. Spend money to solve a problem that shouldn't be tolerated in the first place.

Fuck that bullshit. My knife I brought from back home and a nice stiff stick will physically do damage, and damage changes behavior.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:22 pm I find the tricky bit is after you pass them om the street. As you approach them they yap and you just keep going and are happy that if they come at you, you can whack them with your stick or whatever. But once past them, you can't see them, they know that and come close to your heels, still yapping. That's the unnerving bit. Any suggestions?
Get yourself a bigger dog.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Can we get some tips for dealing street drugs?

I think I read the title wrong.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 am Can we get some tips for dealing street drugs?

I think I read the title wrong.
Might as well change the subject. We have arrived at the answer; either blast them with UHF sonic waves, or batter them with a big stick, stab them with a big knife, electrocute them with an stun gun, poison them with tainted snacks or get a bigger dog and start a doggy arms race.

What stash are you looking for?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

A trick that often works is to wind up and pretend to throw a rock at them. They assume you are firing something at them and scatter. Worked for me in the past.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am A trick that often works is to wind up and pretend to throw a rock at them. They assume you are firing something at them and scatter. Worked for me in the past.
Once they realise you're not throwing anything at them, it becomes very ineffective though :)

ps - if you're only carrying 1 rock, before you throw it, make sure theres more close by you can pick up straight away
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 am
canucklhead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am A trick that often works is to wind up and pretend to throw a rock at them. They assume you are firing something at them and scatter. Worked for me in the past.
Once they realise you're not throwing anything at them, it becomes very ineffective though :)

ps - if you're only carrying 1 rock, before you throw it, make sure theres more close by you can pick up straight away
Been pretending to throw a rock for 25 years. It has worked 99% of the time.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am Run with a stick.

Kill persistent offenders with poisoned snacks.
You poisoning dogs around phnom penh? Bad form
It's not bad form if the dog has bitten you more than once and badly enough to require doctors appointments and injections, attacked you on numerous occasions, chased you over a hundred times and you have politely asked the owner to please control their dog and should you get bitten or attacked one more time the dog's life will be in danger.

It's called the pecking order, dude. Get over it.. [Mod edit: no need for name calling]
Well, I have no idea wtf you get up to that one dog sent you to the E.R more than once and chased you over a hundred times; how does that happen? Was it just you this dog chased, or did it chase all the other people it saw daily and bite them also? If so, how come it had to come down to you poisoning it?

I've put ill dogs down before when they were going die anyhow to end suffering, but if I ever find myself skulking around poisoning other people's dogs then something will have gone badly wrong.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Pepper spray may be an idea if it is legal here.
Boil up some chilli peppers, load the spicy water into a water pistol or spray bottle and give the most aggressive mutt a facefull.
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Pepper spray may be an idea if it is legal here.
Boil up some chilli peppers, load the spicy water into a water pistol or spray bottle and give the most aggressive mutt a facefull.
Plain water is just as effective and not as cruel.

(Though in a real dog vs human skirmish I take the humans side, I could never subject a dog to the painful days long effect of that)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic