Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am Run with a stick.

Kill persistent offenders with poisoned snacks.
You poisoning dogs around phnom penh? Bad form
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I find the tricky bit is after you pass them om the street. As you approach them they yap and you just keep going and are happy that if they come at you, you can whack them with your stick or whatever. But once past them, you can't see them, they know that and come close to your heels, still yapping. That's the unnerving bit. Any suggestions?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm

It's not bad form if the dog has bitten you more than once and badly enough to require doctors appointments and injections, attacked you on numerous occasions, chased you over a hundred times and you have politely asked the owner to please control their dog and should you get bitten or attacked one more time the dog's life will be in danger.

It's called the pecking order, dude. Get over it.. [Mod edit: no need for name calling]
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm

It's not bad form if the dog has bitten you more than once and badly enough to require doctors appointments and injections, attacked you on numerous occasions, chased you over a hundred times and you have politely asked the owner to please control their dog and should you get bitten or attacked one more time the dog's life will be in danger.

It's called the pecking order, dude. Get over it..[Mod edit: no need for name calling]
You're in Laos I think ? And I had the impression that people in Laos were quite chilled ? Personally, I think I'd move elsewhere for peace of mind. If you kill the dog, you will still have your neighbor. :evil:
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

It didnt happen in Laos.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Stungun as someone showed in a photo...Worked like a charm at night in Thailand...The sound puts their tail between their legs...They cost around15$ here I am told...
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

one_dolla wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 am loads of dogs bark at me when cycling both in the past in SHV and now around Kampot....worst early morning or evening or on over cast days . they seem to forget they are supposed to be asleep in the middle of the day.

the barking ones rarely try to bite... its the buggers that come running hard and not barking that are more of a worry. I thought a while ago about an ultra sonic dog scarer" ... years ago I had a static one in a garden at doggie height and it stopped them coming in shitting in my garden. Anyway Ali express have these hand held ones for about $6 ...do not just buy the loud noise ones for $2........ I have been using this one for way over 6 months and its effective...on nearly all the dogs the older deaf ones dont seem to notice,,, but if you point it at them, and give a few quick zaps the stop barking. I covered the two white led's and infra red led with black tape, which you cant see. Range is at least 3-4 meters plenty.....

Just last week cycling on fish island around 4.30pm I came round the corner to find about 8 mutts blocking the road as I approached a couple of the bigger ones started barking and they were starting to clump together so I took this out and gave them a few pulses of it... they all shut up and just looked at me as I cycled past... coming over the old bridge it jumped out of the bag its in and I lost the battery holder... hence the cling film !
What is this device?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol
I've got some pretty funny pictures in my head of you guys out on your contemplative evening stroll. Practicing your Ninja tricks.
Can i follow you around with a go-pro? (in a tuk tuk).
I reckon it would be the funniest thing ever seen on Cambodian TV. :D

In my town, street or wandering dogs are the main problem at night - but it is the guarding packs/power symbols racing out from the houses of the rich (some) during the day, that scare me more. Fortunately they are usually locked away at night.
The dogs of the rich and powerful seem to carry a similar attitude of impunity from threat that their owners do. Dogs from the "lower order" classes are easier to put in their place.
They pick it all up from their owner's position in the human pack, of course.

side note, just to stir the pot - i regard those crim types, steroid junkies and other show-offs who ponce around town (in the west) with a tough-guy dog as piss weak and pathetic as a man who needs a gun on hand for him to feel safe.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

Many breeds have an old genetic technique of letting you pass and then coming for your legs...tendons and hamstrings...Once they get you down, they go for your throat.
I think a person better do whatever it takes to ensure their safety from dogs or street punks.
In the US, I do not think these dogs would last long if they did serious damage to a person.
To think that only macho types brandish guns in the US is a mistake.
More women are buying sidearms than men these days to protect themselves, kids and property. Pink 9mm are the rage.
More and more States are allowing conceal carry and women are embracing it.
But, here in Cambodia you better either change your route or have a walking stick.
I remember dogs chasing me on my bike as a kid and trying to kick them away was not easy.
There was also a neighbor dog that taught me NOT to get off the school bus early and take a shortcut home..He bit through my winter coat as I walked alone just a few minutes from my house.
You folks on bicycles and on foot need to be prepared for bushwhackers ...
Back in the US many cities have banned certain breeds..pitbulls for example.
Too many people attacked, mauled and killed.
Pepper spray may be an idea if it is legal here.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:03 am
one_dolla wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 am l. I thought a while ago about an ultra sonic dog scarer" ...
What is this device?
Ultrasonic Dog training and anti attack device it has low level ultra sonic out put for training your wee dog and high level that stops feckers barking at you ...go to ALi express and search Pet Dog Repeller Anti Barking Stop Bark Training Device Trainer LED Ultrasonic Anti Barking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic