Online shopping in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Online shopping in Cambodia?

Post by Spigzy »

I use Amazon, the import charges listed are usually a kick in the nuts up front, but are refunded months later. It isn't perfect by any means, but if you want a quality item you can't source here (usually for me that is around Xmas time for my son), it can't be beaten. I literally just got refunded yesterday for all my import fees from my last Xmas order. It is like Xmas in June! :D

Another plus is the use of couriers over the post office generally; no waste of time at the post office, no questions, no losses, just sign & collect.

Sometimes the refunds are much quicker, it can range from anything from two weeks to six months from my observation.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
yochigga
Tourist

Post by yochigga »

I usually use AliExpress back home in Indonesia for things I couldn't find on local-based e-commerce and it also took super long to arrive, but I almost always received my order. I was wondering if they'll tax us here? Or make us pay something to collect our package? Because they do in Indo, and I've read here and there that they'll collect some fee between 1k-4k KHR depending on the size of the package. I've also read that sometimes we need to collect the package ourselves at the local post office instead of getting it delivered to our door. Is that true? I'm in Sihanoukville btw. I recently ordered a couple of things on Ali, and was wondering about all these.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

If you use Cambo Quick, you can select from any of the following US sellers:
Amazon
eBay
Adidas
Newegg
Apple store
sephora
Jomashop
Etsy
Swap
Thriftbooks
Ashford
B&H
worldofwatches.com
Macys.com
Walmart

It helps to use a VPN, choosing a US server. That avoids items being unavailable due to you based in Cambodia, and also avoids steep delivery charges. CQ don't like you ordering things that source from outside of the USA.
Having chosen the item you want, just copy the URL to Cambo Quick. Sometimes you need to be more specific about quantity or whatever.
CQ send you a quotation which includes a mini-screenshot of your item. You accept that. Then you send the deposit they request by ABA. Items arrive about 4 weeks later and you pay the balance on delivery.
I can recommend CQ highly. They have been a life line during Covid especially.
You can get the best deals available to people in USA (which are the best deals in the world for most things). You usually get free delivery to CQ's agent, so you just pay US sales tax, CQ's 5% handling fee and $10 per lb shipping fee.
yochigga
Tourist

Post by yochigga »

An update on my recent experience with AliExpress:

Just received my package today, 04/06. It was shipped on 18/05, so took 17 days to arrive. Pretty fast. I was contacted by ZTO Express rep yesterday and was asked to share my location and a pic of the building since their courier can't speak English. I was asked to pay some delivery fee of $1.5, but when I gave him 6k Riel he returned 1k back, so I guess it's $1.25 then? Here's the look of ZTO sticker on my package:

Still waiting on my other packages. But at least now I know they'll all arrive! :Yahoo!:
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I've used cambo quik once and aliexpress many times and so far all has arrived. Aliexpress can be slow sometimes but otherwise no complaints. When you watch the tracking it seems that cambodian customs seems to sit on the goods for a while before they send them on.
gargarouf
Tourist
France

Post by gargarouf »

I use cambo quick, there is probably cheaper options but I won't give another try.
I tried to import tents from china and I had to deal with the import tax office, bunch of liars and scammers imo, had to go to pp to pay the "tax" (that is possible to bargain...).
Since then I use cambo quick, at least I know upfront what I'll have to pay and there is no hassle.
Just my 2 cents.
Charng
Tourist
Australia

Post by Charng »

Hi Folks,

I have used Cambo Quick recently to test purchasing from them vs Aliexpress. I bought similar items and the Aliexpress order was delivered 2 weeks vs 4 weeks for Cambo Quick. The total cost was about half with Aliexpress.

I followed up with another purchase via Aliexpress but this time with a total value around $USD150, including premium delivery (7 to 14 days). Sure enough, it arrived into cambodia within a week but sat in Customs for another week before I got a call from a lady for the delivery company saying I need to pay duties because it was over $USD50. This wasn't the case for the first order prior so I had assumed I'd get the speedy delivery again. I had indicated that I thought every was paid for already and asked the lady to sort it.

At this stage I have yet to hear any further.

So, do I need to pay import duties for this second order?

Cheers.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sounds like a good reason to use Amazon or Cambo Quick to me - once customs are involved, you're going to have to go to some office & pay up.

It isn't a disaster & I found at the post office at least that some leeway is still given in the presence of a random greenback or two, depending on the size of the order. E.g. I had a motorcycle jacket delivered which came under some heavy import duty category, but the guy looked at it and said "you can take the kevlar pieces out & just wear this like a normal jacket right? Hmm, maybe (wink) it could just be a 'fashionable jacket' - import duty for that is much less (wink)...". The only pain in the backside was the waste of time sitting at post office waiting to be served. That delivery wasn't via Amazon, simply from the producer directly - lesson learned for me; Amazon/courier all the way & get the import duty/tax back later.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

keenan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 am Prior to arriving in Phnom Penh I lived in Bangkok.
While there I used Lazada, It’s sort of a scaled down Amazon.
I used it a lot a lot. I found it to be user friendly,
had most of the items I required and shipped purchases quickly. Generally next day delivery.

I have been advised Lazada will not ship to Cambodia.

I noticed Ali-express (Ali-baba) will ship to Cambodia,
however their shipping times seem to be excessive (30 days!)

Amazon will also ship to Cambodia, but only for selected items.

Has anybody experience using Ali-express, or Amazon?
Camboquick is great, although one of my orders got held up for a long time, the others were fine. maybe not so good if you are staying inside cambo for a short time.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

beaker wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm
keenan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 am
Amazon will also ship to Cambodia, but only for selected items.

Has anybody experience using Ali-express, or Amazon?
The shipping and Estimated import fee deposit from Amazon are outrages charged and called a deposit but not refunded even on items where there a no import fees as for phones.

The photo is an example. I have bought several phones from the internet none have had any additional fees and the shipping is always free, as allmost all phones come from China.

The shipping is also estiamated to be up to 15 day while Amazon was 30 days

You order via the local Amazon guy. They order the product from Amazon on your behalf with their credit card. Product arrives at their US address. Some locals offering this service have family members living in the US who in turn consolidates and forwards the entire order (for different buyers) to Cambodia. The advantage is the service provider usually has a Customs broker to facilitate less or no red tape at the airport in Pochentong. I use this service often for hard to get things (like Kirkland health products).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic