Thailand has highest Suicide rate in region.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand has highest Suicide rate in region.

Post by John Bingham »

With Southeast Asia's highest suicide rate, Thailand grapples with mental health challenge amid pandemic

Sex workers, tourism employees and rural-to-urban migrants are among the victims of Thailand’s coronavirus fallout. How is the Land of Smiles improving its mental health care? The programme Undercover Asia finds out.

BANGKOK: As the COVID-19 pandemic took its toll on millions of jobs in Thailand last year, Unyakarn Booprasert found herself penniless and with no friends or relatives who could help.

The 59-year-old was splitting one packet of instant noodles between three meals. She was desperate for the 15,000 baht (S$655) promised by the government, to be paid over three months, under its No One Left Behind cash relief scheme.

When she learnt she was among the 15 million applicants who did not qualify for aid, Unyakarn decided to plead her case to Thailand’s authorities last April.

“When I got to the Ministry of Finance, sure enough, they didn’t listen,” said the cleaner. “From their actions, a poor person was similar to a pig or a dog, an animal with scabies.”

Unyakarn Booprasert wasn't given a reason for being left out of Thailand's Covid-19 relief scheme.

Unyakarn tried to kill herself with rat poison in front of the ministry’s building. “I wanted to protest. It didn’t happen only to me. It happened to many people,” she told the programme Undercover Asia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cn ... Y.facebook
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Re: Thailand has highest Suicide rate in region.

Post by Biffsm »

Not a surprise that suicide numbers are rising.
china's WW3 is working to destroy economies and mentally defeat millions.
A few bucks may help some..But, losing your business and self respect is a far more devastating event.
Thailand has lost so much.
Siem Reap too.
I put the SR flight channel on my tv once in a while..it is blank.
In 2017,18,19 it was fun to see all the flights coming and going from around the world.
Even flights to PP and Sihanouk.
Just the beginning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I watched that mini-documentary on Channel News Asia about a month ago and found it very sad if not unsurprising given the hand to mouth existence many in this country live. An economic crunch like this without a safety net was bound to reveal the cracks.

When there weren't any restrictions in place one thing that always got me thinking was walking along beachside early to mid-morning and seeing so many young people sitting there drinking beer and whiskey, I can't think of many countries where that would be considered socially normal. Drugs, drink, poor education standards, the worst income disparity in the world, a lack of hope ? Take your pick I guess, but in my own observation this country has got serious underlying socio-economic problems and is run by an elite that seemingly neither cares nor has the ability to address them.

A good example yesterday, another multi billion baht stimulus program was announced and only 10% was targeted to the lowest income earners who are clearly the ones who need help the most, 200 baht ( $7 ) a month. Higher income earners on the other end could claim a maximum of 7,000 baht ( $230 ).
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Biffsm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 am Not a surprise that suicide numbers are rising.
china's WW3 is working to destroy economies and mentally defeat millions.
Jesus wept, do you have to bring your apocalyptic China nonsense into every thread?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Honestly, if I had to live in Thailand as an unprivileged Thai (the 95%), I would either become a terrorist or contemplate suicide as well.

No say, no upwards mobility, the only way to enjoy Thailand is at the top or outside their society. Ideally, both.
Ano63
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Ano63 »

I always thought Thailand is heaven on earth, guess I was wrong
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic