Replacements for wooden posts

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Replacements for wooden posts

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

I know it is a long shot but hoping to have less of an environmental impact. We have to put a long fence around some land that we bought, one option we have is to either buy fence posts, or they would be cut from residual wood on the land, or nearby land.

We are trying to think of some more sustainable option, whether it be an entirely different substance or somehow getting refurbished or reusable wooden posts.

For example, I could see us using PVC with concrete posts in the ground. I see that there are posts made from recycled plastic but I doubt that would be available in Cambodia.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Replacements for wooden posts

Post by John Bingham »

Dip the posts in a bath of old sump oil for a few days. It'll extend their use for years and therefore save the environment.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

Buy some steel fence posts..
You can use heavy wooden ones for corner posts. Concrete them in about a meter deep.
At least that is how millions of hectares of land are fenced in the US.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:46 am Dip the posts in a bath of old sump oil for a few days. It'll extend their use for years and therefore save the environment.
Thanks that's a good idea, never thought of that.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:35 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:46 am Dip the posts in a bath of old sump oil for a few days. It'll extend their use for years and therefore save the environment.
Thanks that's a good idea, never thought of that.
All wooden fenceposts should have at least the part going into the ground treated with some form of preservative
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Decorative or not? Most use cement posts. Wooden posts don't last long here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:37 am Hello everyone,

I know it is a long shot but hoping to have less of an environmental impact. We have to put a long fence around some land that we bought, one option we have is to either buy fence posts, or they would be cut from residual wood on the land, or nearby land.

We are trying to think of some more sustainable option, whether it be an entirely different substance or somehow getting refurbished or reusable wooden posts.

For example, I could see us using PVC with concrete posts in the ground. I see that there are posts made from recycled plastic but I doubt that would be available in Cambodia.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks...
Wood is expensive AF here

Steel cheaper, but is not real steel, is chineseeum, so will rust like fuck also

Cheapest are rebar strengthened concrete posts, they are practically free and don't rust or decay
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

neither wood nor reinforced concrete is environmentally friendly and even sourcing the wooden posts from trees currently growing on the land may not be a good idea as they may not be suitable for the job at hand.

I will go with Jerry here and advise using concrete posts but JBs suggestion of dipping any wooden post in oil prior to final use as a post is also solid advice but it may not be practical and would require:
A. The oil
B. a trough long enough for the dipping (though painting the oil on may be an option but dipping is preferable)
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Biffsm wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:42 am Buy some steel fence posts..
You can use heavy wooden ones for corner posts. Concrete them in about a meter deep.
At least that is how millions of hectares of land are fenced in the US.

Thanks I didn't think of steel posts. That's a good idea and I think I remember what you are talking about.

You mean something like this kind of post?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:12 pm Decorative or not? Most use cement posts. Wooden posts don't last long here.
Hi, no it's not meant to be decorative. You're right, now that I think of it I have often seen cement posts used for this here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic