Replacements for wooden posts

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Replacements for wooden posts

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:39 pm I simply cannot understand the people who are suggesting to "make your own". I suspect they have zero experience in construction here, and come with a western mindset of DYI=cheaper. It's not worth it for fencing... Maybe for house columns, but not for fucking posts...

Let's see:
-To make forms for the posts you'll need either cheap wood (plywood, often not available in the provinces, so you'll end up using mango tree or something similar). Or steel...
-Take the time to cut up all the forms to perfect specs
-Forms don't last long, even with oil on their sides to facilitate taking them off, the wood starts to fail after 2-4 forms. So you'll be buying more and more wood or making tons of forms.
-Workers will need to set the thin gauge steel wire/rebar for each one individually...
-Now assuming you need dozens if not hundreds of these, the time needed to let the cement set for each one would require you to spend countless on labour manhours.
Other option: there are literally companies that ONLY make these and other cement forms (drains, culverts) all over the countryside. They have the staff, they have the forms. They mass produce them... That's all they do, so it'll come out cheaper and faster than making your own, and for posts you don't need the perfect ration of cement/sand/gravel or super thick rebar. They even have steel loops sticking out of them for easy installation of barbed wire or anything else you want.

I suspect if you even suggest to your family member that he makes them all for you, he'll tell you in semi-polite terms to fuck off and go do it yourself. I'm actually quite curious: go ahead and ask him today and report back on what his answer is. I'm curious as to what he'll think of the suggestion. It blows my mind that people are telling you to make your own, but whatever. I'd say stop being a cheapo and just fucking buy the posts already. Where's the land? If it isn't near a cement producing province, or way out in the middle of nowhere, it's quite possible the posts are a bit pricier, or perhaps the guy wants to make a bit of money on the side so he's quoting you a slightly higher price. Either way, I'd just do it. It's not like you have much bargaining power anyways from where you are. It's been three months and you still don't have a fence up.
I think you have won me over with your perspective. We do need a fairly large number, if we put one very meter it will be about 1,200 we think. The thing is that the land itself was very cheap so it doesn't seem to make sense to us to put a fence around it if its far more expensive than the land itself.

We didn't ask her father in law but he may very well give a response like you suggest. And I also agree with you that mass production in many cases makes more sense than hand made.

The price I mentioned, 15,000 per piece, is not where the land is but a very different location that is closer to PP and should have a good market price, but I will ask around. The person giving us a quote is a reliable family member but he may be giving us the price for a smaller number.

By the way, in response to everyone here who says that wooden poles rot or are eaten quickly, my wife swears that one kind of wood called "cheu keyat" will last more than ten years. But we're not sure if we could get that kind of wood where our land is, we don't have the skill to identify it, and we're not there either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic