Suzuki motos

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Suzuki motos

Post by The Judge »

I've been in the market for a brand-new 2021 Suzuki Viva 125cc moto. 6 weeks ago I visited their main showroom on Monivong & Sihanouk Blvd. and was told they didn't have them, but they promised to inform me when they came in. Two days ago, I got their message that they were in.

Upon arrival, I looked at the new motos and asked if they were 2021. They told me they were new, but 2020 model.

As these things are depreciable assets, I feel they should discount the bikes for being a year old, despite never having been ridden before. But the price actually increased from a year ago. Why should consumers pay for management's inability to control production and inventory?

Anyways, today I was talking to an unknown Khmer about it and he told me that Suzuki only produces these motos every two years, and that there are no such thing as a 2021, 2019, 2017, etc. Suzuki Viva, Smash V, Let's ...

I've been in Cambodia for several years but have never heard this before. Is this true?
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Suzuki motos

Post by Chuck Borris »

Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

I guess that crushes that guy's theory, huh?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

One thing I've found in my moto buying adventures in the kingdom is that year of manufacture doesn't matter a hoot. It's all about the condition and perceived ODO kms (I say 'perceived' coz maybe the speedometer ceased working a long time ago and just reconnected, or worse, it's been rewound).

Whereas in my home country (Australia) you drive a good deal for last year's model, here it doesn't seem to cut much ice.

Classic example here. 1997 Honda Nighthawk 250 95% and still seeking $2850 for 24 yr old moto. As an aside, I went to this dealer a year ago for a different moto and he wouldn't budge on the price...no discount whatsoever and he quoted $100 more until I referred to the khmer24 ad for $100 less and he reluctantly said OK. Yet, he's still in business and said moto has since been sold. https://www.khmer24.com/en/motorcycles/ ... 23960.html
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:12 pm One thing I've found in my moto buying adventures in the kingdom is that year of manufacture doesn't matter a hoot. It's all about the condition and perceived ODO kms
I actually had the opposite experience selling my 2012 Honda Click with 35k km. I bought it used, replaced nearly every maintenance item on it proactively, then kept up with normal PMs meticulously. I quickly and properly fixed any issues I had with it at Honda. The plastic was a bit faded (8 year old moto) but otherwise it was in pristine condition mechanically. When I tried to sell it, I priced it according to condition and mileage. I was hounded by locals who didn't think it was a fair price because they prioritize being seen on a newer bike over the condition. I could not get through to people that it was low mileage and mechanically sound, many of them immediately devalued it because it was "old" and didn't have Phnom Penh plates. Then again, this was during my time living in PP so I understand image is a bigger deal there than other parts. I ended up selling it for more money to another barang who did value the condition.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:12 pm One thing I've found in my moto buying adventures in the kingdom is that year of manufacture doesn't matter a hoot. It's all about the condition and perceived ODO kms (I say 'perceived' coz maybe the speedometer ceased working a long time ago and just reconnected, or worse, it's been rewound).

Whereas in my home country (Australia) you drive a good deal for last year's model, here it doesn't seem to cut much ice.

Classic example here. 1997 Honda Nighthawk 250 95% and still seeking $2850 for 24 yr old moto. As an aside, I went to this dealer a year ago for a different moto and he wouldn't budge on the price...no discount whatsoever and he quoted $100 more until I referred to the khmer24 ad for $100 less and he reluctantly said OK. Yet, he's still in business and said moto has since been sold. https://www.khmer24.com/en/motorcycles/ ... 23960.html
By the way, I've seen that Nighthawk for sale for.. I kid you not.. 4 years. The dealer will not bring it down to meet the market and it will sit there forever unless someone gullible comes along. For him to reduce the price to 'move it' means loss of face that he payed too much from the importer.

Another example. Saw this moto 3 years ago. Same price and he'll only knock $100 off to sell.. Still there but he won't discount it more to sell. Again, he can't face a loss on what he paid the importer.
Spoiler:
Also, reminds me of an apartment I went to see nearly 5 years ago. It was clearly overpriced and the landlord would not bargain at all on the rental price. Landlord would rather leave it empty with no income..as it's done till now.. than lose face and bring down the price.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

talltuktuk wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:59 pm
I actually had the opposite experience selling my 2012 Honda Click with 35k km. I bought it used, replaced nearly every maintenance item on it proactively, then kept up with normal PMs meticulously. I quickly and properly fixed any issues I had with it at Honda. The plastic was a bit faded (8 year old moto) but otherwise it was in pristine condition mechanically. When I tried to sell it, I priced it according to condition and mileage. I was hounded by locals who didn't think it was a fair price because they prioritize being seen on a newer bike over the condition. I could not get through to people that it was low mileage and mechanically sound, many of them immediately devalued it because it was "old" and didn't have Phnom Penh plates. Then again, this was during my time living in PP so I understand image is a bigger deal there than other parts. I ended up selling it for more money to another barang who did value the condition.
Over the years, I've had dozens of sellers at moto shops say one bike is better than another of the same model, because it has Phnom Penh plates. What's with with this Phnom Penh plates thing?

Is it because you're perceived to be more affluent, and thus better, because you (are perceived to) live in Phnom Penh?

True story....I was just talking to a barang friend of mine and he told me his Khmer father-in-law in the province bought an older moto for dirt cheap, then paid $150 for brand-new Honda Dream plastic panels and fenders with the new decals, just to show everyone how rich and good he must be for (pretending to) having a new 2021 Honda Dream.

It'd be a good read if a new thread were started about people's worst moto buying experiences in the KOW.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:34 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:12 pm One thing I've found in my moto buying adventures in the kingdom is that year of manufacture doesn't matter a hoot. It's all about the condition and perceived ODO kms (I say 'perceived' coz maybe the speedometer ceased working a long time ago and just reconnected, or worse, it's been rewound).

By the way, I've seen that Nighthawk for sale for.. I kid you not.. 4 years. The dealer will not bring it down to meet the market and it will sit there forever unless someone gullible comes along. For him to reduce the price to 'move it' means loss of face that he payed too much from the importer.

Another example. Saw this moto 3 years ago. Same price and he'll only knock $100 off to sell.. Still there but he won't discount it more to sell. Again, he can't face a loss on what he paid the importer.
Spoiler:
Also, reminds me of an apartment I went to see nearly 5 years ago. It was clearly overpriced and the landlord would not bargain at all on the rental price. Landlord would rather leave it empty with no income..as it's done till now.. than lose face and bring down the price.
Khmer don't seem to understand opportunity cost. Sometimes it's better to turn over old inventory and have cash to replace inventory with something new. But hell if I'm gonna take years off my life to teach them.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

In 2017 I went into Honda in Sihanouk looking for a last year's model...I wanted a new bike and figured I could get a decent deal.
The brand new models were out.
The previous year they had in inventory were ugly colors and only $200us less than a new one.
So, fuck it..I bought the 2018 model.
Kept it serviced....looks new.
You have a great point about Khmer wanting the newer model over better condition..
Like these pieces of shit new apartments built by amateurs using shit materials from china that leak and mold and fall apart...But, look new.
I now live in a great old building the owner keeps pristine and is giving a total makeover to this month.
Good luck ...If you can afford it..buy new..
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The Judge wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:17 am
talltuktuk wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:59 pm
Over the years, I've had dozens of sellers at moto shops say one bike is better than another of the same model, because it has Phnom Penh plates. What's with with this Phnom Penh plates thing?

Is it because you're perceived to be more affluent, and thus better, because you (are perceived to) live in Phnom Penh?

True story....I was just talking to a barang friend of mine and he told me his Khmer father-in-law in the province bought an older moto for dirt cheap, then paid $150 for brand-new Honda Dream plastic panels and fenders with the new decals, just to show everyone how rich and good he must be for (pretending to) having a new 2021 Honda Dream.

It'd be a good read if a new thread were started about people's worst moto buying experiences in the KOW.
Reason why Phnom Penh plates are better is that it's easier to to transfer the ownership (if you are living in Phnom Penh that is). Let's say you have moto that has a Siem Reap plates but you live in Phnom Penh and you want to sell it in Phnom Penh. You find a buyer and he wants to move the bike under his name. Well since your moto is registered in Siem Reap, you & the buyer have to go all the way to Siem Reap to do it. And same thing happens in future each time when the bike is sold and the new buyer wants to transfer the bike under his/her name.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic