What if it's proven that Covid came from a Wuhan lab?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

What if it's proven that Covid came from a Wuhan lab?

Post by xandreu »

Considering the theory that Covid came from a lab has just been pushed up the agenda by the US government, I can't help wondering what use this information will be in the long term?

Let's say that there is 100% undeniable proof that it did originate in a lab in Wuhan... what then? How will the world react to a country that already does it likes with impunity and seemingly cares very little for what other countries think of it. Despite this meaning that one country would be responsible for a number of human deaths that makes previous world wars look like fairground accidents, what action can realistically be taken?

War is clearly out of the question and for there to be any meaningful economic sanctions there would have to be such a gear change in world trade, it would be on a scale never seen before in human history. Let's say the world did somehow get together and decide that bankrupting China was the only course of action, how would China react? They're unlikely to simply roll over and take it lying down. And isn't it too late for that anyway? Haven't they pretty much guaranteed their survival already by having so many fingers in so many pies globally? I read the other day that Swaziland is the only African country left that has not allowed itself to become China's bitch by allowing China to invest in major infrastructure projects in the country.

I can't help thinking that this is one of those situations where the truth will ultimately change nothing.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What if it's proven that Covid came from a Wuhan lab?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm not sure this needs to be in Asinine really.

I've been wondering this too. Australia was originally pushing for an international investigation but they really got nowhere without access to all the data. Now Biden is pushing for a more thorough, definitive one..

Even if it was ever found that Covid did indeed come from the Wuhan lab, it would be a serious loss of face and reputation for the CCP and huge stigma for them in the international community. For these reasons, it is in their interests that the origins of covid are left inconclusive and deflect attention away..indeed, they've suggested it may have come from other countries..

But getting back to your point OP, I can only assume the push for a full investigation is for a conclusive, definitive outcome on where it came from one way or another.

If they have strong reasons to suspect it did come from the lab, then I think it's designed to prove that 1. it did come from China 2. they were experimenting with SARS virus for perhaps nefarious purposes, and 3. they didn't do enough to contain it from the rest of the world. If that is found to be true then, China's standing and influence in the world would be greatly reduced and the flow on economic impacts huge.

However, I believe it is a very dangerous game to play with an authoritative regime like this and there could be very serious repercussions in doing so imo.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Most countries are working now to decouple from trade with China.
I wonder where the solar panels will come from.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Biden reckons about 1/3 of the relevant US intelligence people are leaning more towards the "lab escape" theory. 2/3 are not.
(Incidentally, an 'in the know' Australian epidemiologist reckons it is about the same 1/3 2/3 split within the science community.)

Biden reckons US Intel has "some evidence" beyond speculation - but unfortunately, so far, they have been as un-forthcoming with that as the chinese have.
"OK, then show your cards" as one scientist said this week.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

We are already at war..
Please just add up the facts..
I sure would not expect biden to save the World.
He is a demented old coot.
china has a 100 year plan..
1949-2049.
They are way ahead of schedule.
Pushing fentanyl, stealing intellectual property by the trillions, building islands to control the sea lanes, sending thousands of fishing boats into protected waters to empty the oceans, dumping everything into the oceans, taking over vital ports for their silk road.
Now, the wuhan issue.
To say war is out of the question when you have been at war for decades is not reality.
Australia is showing some guts.
china knew about covid 4-6 months before countries started having cases.
During that time they cornered the ppe market ..bought all the masks...and waited.
Europe should cut them off.
I do not see biden doing anything but kowtow.
Very sad ...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I have this strange feeling of deja vu. You know, when all the media was pulling all those people down, who were pushing the theory that it came from the Wuhan lab.
Remember that time?
And a lot of what they are basing this "new" line of thought on has been known from before Biden took office.

Oh the back-tracking and amnesia is going to be a delight to behold if this moves towards accidental release... you know like the last few times an outbreak occurred from a Chinese lab.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I just hope whoever reached the conclusion that Saddam undeniably had weapons of mass destruction is not on this investigation.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Nor the Gulf of Tonkin "analysts".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Biffsm wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 pm We are already at war..
And just in the nick of time we have found ourselves another Westmorland.
How many short months before you'll have the commies on the run this time around, General?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic