Japan startup aims to put 'Miracle Meat' on American dinner plates

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Food-B ... 3&si=44594

Fake-meat maker Daiz to build U.S. plant in 2022 with eye on the world

Daiz's Miracle Meat can be found at the Freshness Burger chain as well as key retailers in Japan. (Photo by Junya Hemmi)
JUNYA HEMMI, Nikkei staff writerMay 25, 2021 23:35 JST

TOKYO -- Japanese plant-based-meat startup Daiz has kicked off preparations to expand into the U.S., tapping that country's fast-growing market for alternative meats with plans to go global.

The company is conducting market research in the U.S. with investor and trading house Marubeni, laying the groundwork for research and development and other operations there after launching Daiz USA in Boston on May 1.

It aims to build an American factory for its soy-based Miracle Meat in 2022. Location, capacity and cost are to be determined.

Vegan meats are often made with soy meal left over from oil production, or from peas. But Daiz uses soybeans germinated using patented technology that fine-tunes temperatures and oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, activating enzymes to greatly increase nutritional content.

Daiz also uses soybeans with a more neutral odor to more closely replicate the taste and texture of conventional meat. It aims for a price point similar to chicken and plans to market Miracle Meat to local food companies and other potential buyers.

Plant-based meats have surged in popularity in recent years as a healthier, environmentally gentler alternative to conventional meat. Beyond Meat, a leading name in the U.S., became the first in the field to debut on the Nasdaq market in May 2019. Rival unicorn Impossible Foods is also reportedly preparing to list its shares.

Global demand is only expected to grow. The Tokyo-based Yano Research Institute sees the market for alternative meats -- defined as the total shipment value of plant-based meats and cultured meats -- expanding roughly 620% over a decade to 1.87 trillion yen in 2030. Daiz hopes to make the U.S. a jumping-off point for success elsewhere.

"We aim to expand into Southeast Asia and China as well and hope to use the U.S. as a foothold into the rest of the world," founder and President Tsuyoshi Ide said.

Daiz was born in 2015 from Kajitsudo, a microgreens producer that has attracted money from Toyota Motor and Mitsui & Co. The fake-meat startup itself has received roughly 3 billion yen ($28 million) so far from investors including Marubeni, Ajinomoto and Nichirei Foods.

The company is already expanding its footprint at home. A June facility upgrade will quadruple capacity to 4,000 tons a year. The company supplies Miracle Meat to Japanese restaurant chain Freshness Burger, as well as retailers Aeon and Life.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Japan startup aims to put 'Miracle Meat' on American dinner plates

Post by Chad Sexington »

I’ve yet to taste any meat substitutes that actually tasted anything like, or had the texture of what they were meant to “replace”
They don’t even taste good, never mind like meat.
The only resemblance can be that they both contain protein.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

I lived with a vegan and was a veg head for over 3 years 25-30 years ago....
This is nothing new..
Besides, I never understood why someone wanted a fake hot dog...a fake chicken nugget..
You can go to Indian restaurants that 100% veg..and just eat...
No fakery...
I used to laugh at people buying veggie burgers cooked on the same flat top a million beef burgers were cooked on..
But, Americans will buy anything and are easily manipulated.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Biffsm wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:47 am I lived with a vegan and was a veg head for over 3 years 25-30 years ago....
This is nothing new..
Besides, I never understood why someone wanted a fake hot dog...a fake chicken nugget..
You can go to Indian restaurants that 100% veg..and just eat...
No fakery...
I used to laugh at people buying veggie burgers cooked on the same flat top a million beef burgers were cooked on..
But, Americans will buy anything and are easily manipulated.
That last sentence is especially true.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well, good luck with that. If they can feed it to the masses who like cheap, we can limit the real meat business to us connoisseurs, which will solve many problems.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Biffsm wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:47 am But, Americans will buy anything and are easily manipulated.
What are you on about? The company hasn't even started operating in the US. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

There is of course the Midwestern, Supper Club loving and backyard barbecuing segment who will have nothing to do with anything other than the real deal.
Those grills aren't getting fired up for the health or environmentally conscious types during this Memorial Day weekend. I suspect this substitute will be positioned as a left wing anti-meat conspiracy. I can't wait for the headlines and idiocy that follows.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:53 pm
Biffsm wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:47 am But, Americans will buy anything and are easily manipulated.
What are you on about? The company hasn't even started operating in the US. 8)
There are others. Beyond Meat I think is one.
I tried some of the alternatives on my grill a couple of years ago.
It didn't workout as well as I had hoped.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Miracle Meat?

That's what I named my schlong.

I knew I should have Trademarked it.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I thought the idea of battery meat was pretty gross
and then all this talk of insects and enzimes really turned my guts
Then that ^^^. Thanks Brody.

Anybody know a good hair bun artiste? - i've already taken up yoga and got the fisherman's pants.
Vegetarianism just got a whole lot more appealing all of a sudden.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic