Kampot - trip report

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Kampot - trip report

Post by rogerrabbit »

Strawberryshake wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:05 pm Did u see that planned Chinese Skycrapper site any construction going on there? I heard locals were protesting against it for being to near to the protected town center.
It's not a Chinese skyscraper. Local company building and financing it. But the construction is at full swing. The piling work was done bit over year ago and then they stopped working on it due to covid. But now 3-4 months ago the construction continued again. Ground floor completed so far.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I guess that Kampot's hope of applying for WHS status is down the drain then. Cannot have your cake and eat it.

List of World Heritage Sites in Cambodia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... n_Cambodia

Well, good luck to Kratie and Chhlong. :dm: And Kampi of course.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

truffledog wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:24 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:38 am
truffledog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 pm
No wonder the riverfront is NOT renovating and businesses are closed. They just waiting for the big offer for their (prime riverfront) land, existing buildings will be torn down, new chinese flash steel and glass highrise will be built. Just a matter of time. How sad. I hope I am wrong.
I understand that the old buildings (known as "colonials") on central riverfront are protected, yes really protected. Cannot be torn down. The big Chinese development on the riverfront is just outside the protected zone. Running south from there through the old market, Oh Neil to Rikitiki is all protected. If Kampot really does develop in a massive way, it will end up with the heart being beautiful old buildings, surrounded by glass and steel.
you mean protected like Bokor National Park, Botum Sakor National Park, Koh Rong National Marine Park and many other "protected aereas"?
I don't know.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:00 pm The menu at Three Little Pigs, Kampot

The full breakfast.

I did have The Belly Buster once but my camera wasn't big enough.
BTW, they have a barang chef. As does Jetzt and the Scnitzelhaus. Makes a difference.
That's a good deal. Last times I was in Kampot I was at Milanos for breakfast and it was edible but had really crap imitation bacon and crap sausages too, those look good.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:38 am
truffledog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 pm
No wonder the riverfront is NOT renovating and businesses are closed. They just waiting for the big offer for their (prime riverfront) land, existing buildings will be torn down, new chinese flash steel and glass highrise will be built. Just a matter of time. How sad. I hope I am wrong.
I understand that the old buildings (known as "colonials") on central riverfront are protected, yes really protected. Cannot be torn down. The big Chinese development on the riverfront is just outside the protected zone. Running south from there through the old market, Oh Neil to Rikitiki is all protected. If Kampot really does develop in a massive way, it will end up with the heart being beautiful old buildings, surrounded by glass and steel.
That's what I thought too previously - that the colonial buildings were on the UNESCO Heritage List.
BUT, it seems (if you believe wikipedia), that the Kampot town centre is actually only on the list to be submitted to the list of potential UNESCO Heritage Sites. It's on the list to go on the list if you like. That's much more precarious.
post494081.html#p494081
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Comparatively to other provincial towns, Kpot is lucky. Yes, it's taking a hit like everywhere in covid, but it was really strange to me visiting from Battambang the other week and all the expats were like it's so quiet here, and I was like what, it's fucking crowded full of expats!!
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

where the big building is going up was an empty lot for some years only grass and cow's a grazing on it..
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:47 am That's what I thought too previously - that the colonial buildings were on the UNESCO Heritage List.
BUT, it seems (if you believe wikipedia), that the Kampot town centre is actually only on the list to be submitted to the list of potential UNESCO Heritage Sites. It's on the list to go on the list if you like. That's much more precarious.
post494081.html#p494081
I was not thinking about UNESCO lists. Simply that there is an effective order preventing their demolition. I understand that is the current situation. We'll see.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:36 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:47 am That's what I thought too previously - that the colonial buildings were on the UNESCO Heritage List.
post494081.html#p494081
I was not thinking about UNESCO lists. Simply that there is an effective order preventing their demolition. I understand that is the current situation. We'll see.
Bokor Lodge is quite a nice looking building, but the vast majority of the buildings on the front have no architectural or ascetic merit and would be better of gone. Many looked derelict last time I was there.

The riverfront needs a master plan of what can and can''t be built - No higher than 4 stories, all of similar facia design etc. and develop it over a period of 10 years. It could make the town a must see tourist destination.

However, this would put a cap on their land values as there's more to be made with 20 floors than 4. So it will never happen and they will all be knocked down and replaced with ugly, random building with the odd original unit left over looking like a missing front tooth.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:36 am
post494081.html#p494081
Bokor Lodge is quite a nice looking building, but the vast majority of the buildings on the front have no architectural or ascetic merit and would be better of gone. Many looked derelict last time I was there.

The riverfront needs a master plan of what can and can''t be built - No higher than 4 stories, all of similar facia design etc. and develop it over a period of 10 years. It could make the town a must see tourist destination.

However, this would put a cap on their land values as there's more to be made with 20 floors than 4. So it will never happen and they will all be knocked down and replaced with ugly, random building with the odd original unit left over looking like a missing front tooth.

I don't think the Chinse think the same unfortunately.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic