Kampot - trip report

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot - trip report

Post by armchairlawyer »

If you go to the beach at Kep, you can buy sunglasses, a hat....or a nice hardwood bed.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Five photos from Psar Kdam
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The menu at Three Little Pigs, Kampot

The full breakfast.

I did have The Belly Buster once but my camera wasn't big enough.
BTW, they have a barang chef. As does Jetzt and the Scnitzelhaus. Makes a difference.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

^ I was lucky then. Ate at The Three Little Pigs on 5 separate days and got the barang (English owner) chef every time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

only 2 out of 6 photos can i see ;-(
even when i click the space it opens a blank page
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

"We went to the Two Moons because we wanted a large room and a pool and that combo is hard to find in Kampot. The place looks OK, the room is very basic but huge (in fact it’s two rooms combined). I ask how much. The Italian guy says $47 , less if taken for a week. I look on booking.com and it shows as $27.""

Was that guy the owner? I encountered this attitude quite often at hotels in Phnom Penh too. They were asking higher prices from walk-ins than they were offering on booking.com. After pointing this out they replied the same way. How stupid are these people, especially if this was the owner? They would rather you book there than save the commission of at least 15% by matching the booking.com rate? I am a former hotel owner - we always matched prices.

Other than that the report paints a pretty good picture but it is just the appearance of things for westerners. The tourists are missing, a vital source of income for the town as a whole so the economic situation is not rosy. Just surviving is not enough.

Real estate prices - that's a typical Khmer attitude. They won't budge waiting for that one buyer who will pay their price. I live in Kep and the price my land has almost doubled in 2 years time. I will also wait until that happens. Most of the land here is owned by wealthy people in Phnom Penh. They can afford to wait.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Did u see that planned Chinese Skycrapper site any construction going on there? I heard locals were protesting against it for being to near to the protected town center.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Strawberryshake wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:05 pm Did u see that planned Chinese Skycrapper site any construction going on there? I heard locals were protesting against it for being to near to the protected town center.
It's still going on, for a while it seemed like it was standing still but the last couple of months there is a fair amount of construction workers going back and forth.

The one on the other side of the river appears to be getting less love.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:00 pm
BTW, they have a barang chef. As does Jetzt and the Scnitzelhaus. Makes a difference.
I live Jetzt, great burgers.wished I could get a full English like that in PP. Will have to give these little pigs a go next time I'm there.

The @Jamie_Lambo full English thread is now way out of date (good effort, just things seems to change quickly here), if anyone has a recommendation I would be very happy, can start/update the old thread if you have :beer3:
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:38 am
truffledog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 pm
No wonder the riverfront is NOT renovating and businesses are closed. They just waiting for the big offer for their (prime riverfront) land, existing buildings will be torn down, new chinese flash steel and glass highrise will be built. Just a matter of time. How sad. I hope I am wrong.
I understand that the old buildings (known as "colonials") on central riverfront are protected, yes really protected. Cannot be torn down. The big Chinese development on the riverfront is just outside the protected zone. Running south from there through the old market, Oh Neil to Rikitiki is all protected. If Kampot really does develop in a massive way, it will end up with the heart being beautiful old buildings, surrounded by glass and steel.
you mean protected like Bokor National Park, Botum Sakor National Park, Koh Rong National Marine Park and many other "protected aereas"?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic