EdC Announce Power Cuts in Phnom Penh and Kandal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: EdC Announce Power Cuts in Phnom Penh and Kandal

Post by timmydownawell »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 am
Doc67 wrote:
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:32 pm Gonna build myself a chunky UPS out of LiFePO4 batteries and an inverter after I move next month.
I know my techy ignorance is well known, but "UPS out of LiFePO4 batteries and an inverter" :D

Nah, I'm not buying it. Bluff.
Never heard of a battery only UPS system able to run an entire house for 12 hours (or more) during the daily Khmer blackout and fully recharges in the few hours that the power comes back on.

Anyone have more experience?
My plan is to buy four 3.2V LiFePO4 200Ah batteries (i.e. make a 12V 200Ah battery from them), an appropriate BMS, and a hybrid charge controller/inverter. The inverter is plugged into a wall outlet... and the AC-out from the inverter will run the fridge, modem, router TV and a fan. In the event of a power cut it will be able to run all of those for >12 hours. If you're looking at running aircon you'll need a 24 or 48V system and a chunkier inverter and may as well buy solar panels to go with it. I'm moving to SR late next month and will be making my prototype after that, because I know SR has the flakiest power supply. Might make some to sell after that once I am happy with the result.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Power cuts for tomorrow in Phnom Penh.
Friday, July 9, 2021:

A. Between 08:00 and 13:00 at:

Khan Russey Keo: Some power areas located in Sangkat Toul Sangke I, Sangkat Toul Sangke II, Sangkat Russey Keo (Wat Phnom Branch)

Between 08:00 and 16:00 at:
Daun Penh District: some power area No. 338 located in Sangkat Wat Phnom (Wat Phnom Branch)
Khan Sen Sok: Some areas located in Sangkat Kraing Thnong, Sangkat Kork Khleang (O Bek Kam Branch and O’Dem Branch)
Khan Por Sen Chey: Some areas located in Sangkat Choam Chao III, Sangkat Samrong Krom (O’Dim Branch)
Khan Chbar Ampov: Some areas located in Sangkat Veal Sbov, Sangkat Prek Eang (Chak Khang Chak Angre Krom)
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50890164/e ... hnom-penh/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:40 am
Doc67 wrote:
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:32 pm Gonna build myself a chunky UPS out of LiFePO4 batteries and an inverter after I move next month.
I know my techy ignorance is well known, but "UPS out of LiFePO4 batteries and an inverter" :D

Never heard of a battery only UPS system able to run an entire house for 12 hours (or more) during the daily Khmer blackout and fully recharges in the few hours that the power comes back on.

My plan is to buy four 3.2V LiFePO4 200Ah batteries (i.e. make a 12V 200Ah battery from them), an appropriate BMS, and a hybrid charge controller/inverter. The inverter is plugged into a wall outlet... and the AC-out from the inverter will run the fridge, modem, router TV and a fan. In the event of a power cut it will be able to run all of those for >12 hours. If you're looking at running aircon you'll need a 24 or 48V system and a chunkier inverter and may as well buy solar panels to go with it. I'm moving to SR late next month and will be making my prototype after that, because I know SR has the flakiest power supply. Might make some to sell after that once I am happy with the result.
Bit of a late reply to your post, but would something like this do the same job you think? Drop a 12v AGM or Lithium battery into it and your set.

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Grand Barong wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:25 pm
Doc67 wrote:

Bit of a late reply to your post, but would something like this do the same job you think? Drop a 12v AGM or Lithium battery into it and your set.

Actually what I'm thinking is kinda like that, but that one's only 300W, whereas I want to make a 1000W one which can power a full sized fridge and more. That's a smart little unit though.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

OK, these are great for camping and stuff. can run a 12v fridge, led lights and charge phones and stuff.
Whats the price like for Lithium batteries in Cambodia? starting price here is about $450 Aud for 100AH and double that cost for a 200AH.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Grand Barong wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:58 am OK, these are great for camping and stuff. can run a 12v fridge, led lights and charge phones and stuff.
Whats the price like for Lithium batteries in Cambodia? starting price here is about $450 Aud for 100AH and double that cost for a 200AH.
The 3.2V 200Ah batteries retail for around $125 each here. But I got a quote to buy a bunch from Alibaba and including shipping they came to an average of $65 each. Unfortunately I wasn't ready to buy and that seller pulled a bait & switch on me, so maybe that deal wasn't legit.

Meanwhile this looks ok for a smaller capacity for $380:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000902519559.html?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Meanwhile this looks ok for a smaller capacity for $380:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000902519559.html

Nice compact unit.. would be ideal for somewhere that has frequent short power outages. :thumb:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote:

I enquired about a rental property recently in SR, the reply I got back was they are only allowed to rent out to people who have been living in none Covid zones in SR, or have done 14 days quarantine after traveling.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Doc67 wrote:

I enquired about a rental property recently in SR, the reply I got back was they are only allowed to rent out to people who have been living in none Covid zones in SR, or have done 14 days quarantine after traveling.
SR is off for me now anyway, as it turns out.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:00 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Doc67 wrote:

SR is off for me now anyway, as it turns out.
SR is off for me now too timmydownawell.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic