ABA bank APP and SIM card

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Frankl
Expatriate

Re: ABA bank APP and SIM card

Post by Frankl »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:50 pm
Frankl wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:52 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:32 pm I used ABA app with my EU Sim card when I was back home in March?
If your ABA App is linked to a "current" Cambodian Sim Card telephone number and your ABA account is used regularly, you won't have a problem using it in a foreign country. I used my ABA APP in my home country for a few years without issues. But at the time I was visiting Cambodia regularly, using my local Cambo tel number and the APP i.e. my regular usage kept everything ticking over.
However, with this pandemic, and not being able to go to Cambodia, I neglected to use the APP for over a year, plus I never "topped up " the credit on my Cambodian Sim Card. The result is ABA locked me out of the APP ,when I tried to access it they send a code to the telephone number linked to the account ie my now expired Cambodian Sim Card telephone number. I am now in the poo poo.
This was my own fault, as I simply took it all for granted.....I actually agree with the security precautions they have.
The killer is that you could of topped up your sim for $1 with the app if you didn’t let it expire .. Catch 22
Exactly! And by doing so I would also have being using the APP thereby keeping both SIM and APP in use! When I fxxk up I don't do things by halves! LOL
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:48 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:27 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:07 pm Did ABA close it's internet banking service and now only have mobile banking? I know they were planning to to do.
I think they closed that 1 Jan last.

One reason I like also having an account with Acleda as they still have theirs for extra flexibility...albeit they charge 50c/ month and they gave me a dongle thingy for OTP.
Hey Techies.... what's a "dongle thingy"?

(I got a dangly thingy, but I don't think that's what you mean.)
Here it is in it's unashamed innocence.. :wink:
Press the button and voila, you get your OTP.
I thought OTP was On The Phone ("dongle thingy for OTP")

Now the dongle thingy "gives you OTP"

WTF is OTP? :D

I'm not completely lazy, I did google it and got this which surely cannot be right.

OTP is an abbreviation meaning "one true pair/pairing." Where did OTP come from? In the realm of fandom, OTP refers to a fan-created coupling of characters: fans who think two characters make a great romantic duo envision those characters' lives together, and share their imaginings with other fans.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Frankl wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:00 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:50 pm
Frankl wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:52 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:32 pm I used ABA app with my EU Sim card when I was back home in March?
If your ABA App is linked to a "current" Cambodian Sim Card telephone number and your ABA account is used regularly, you won't have a problem using it in a foreign country. I used my ABA APP in my home country for a few years without issues. But at the time I was visiting Cambodia regularly, using my local Cambo tel number and the APP i.e. my regular usage kept everything ticking over.
However, with this pandemic, and not being able to go to Cambodia, I neglected to use the APP for over a year, plus I never "topped up " the credit on my Cambodian Sim Card. The result is ABA locked me out of the APP ,when I tried to access it they send a code to the telephone number linked to the account ie my now expired Cambodian Sim Card telephone number. I am now in the poo poo.
This was my own fault, as I simply took it all for granted.....I actually agree with the security precautions they have.
The killer is that you could of topped up your sim for $1 with the app if you didn’t let it expire .. Catch 22
Exactly! And by doing so I would also have being using the APP thereby keeping both SIM and APP in use! When I fxxk up I don't do things by halves! LOL
Can I just add, albeit way too late for your rescue, that you can easily fix this issue with ABA and Phone companies by setting up a payment template and then setting a payment schedule, from $1 to $50, weekly or monthly.

You have to be a bit careful as a $1 top up will evaporate from your account in less than a week, regardless if you don't use your phone. $5 takes about a month.

If keeping you phone number alive, and thereby your banking apps, setting one of these up will take care of this. Just be prepared to kiss that money goodbye.

pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

[ You have to be a bit careful as a $1 top up will evaporate from your account in less than a week, regardless if you don't use your phone. $5 takes about a month. ]

I have a forever account ( and don’t use internet data ) and $1 on mine will last as long as i don’t make any calls .
$1 can last over a month or more , but yea , they know & the phone has to be in use ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for banks and such when they need to verify ur existence via ur registered phone #

OTP means one time password
good for like 10 minutes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:29 am [ You have to be a bit careful as a $1 top up will evaporate from your account in less than a week, regardless if you don't use your phone. $5 takes about a month. ]

I have a forever account ( and don’t use internet data ) and $1 on mine will last as long as i don’t make any calls .
$1 can last over a month or more , but yea , they know & the phone has to be in use ..
I have no idea what plan I am on, but I bet it is a crap one. Maybe I should do some homework on it.

Edit.
Just changed it to ExtraLong1000 and now my $6 balance due to expire at the end of June is now good until the end of August, for a one time $2 fee. Another problem fixed.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I just tried the aba app to set up mobile top up it doesn't recognize my number so I tried pin choose smart send $1 got a smart code to top up my phone, I think I'll just buy 30 $1 top ups before I fly out and use them somehow I don't trust the app
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:02 am I just tried the aba app to set up mobile top up it doesn't recognize my number so I tried pin choose smart send $1 got a smart code to top up my phone, I think I'll just buy 30 $1 top ups before I fly out and use them somehow I don't trust the app
You need to set up a template before you can set up the recurring payment.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I have no idea what plan I am on, but I bet it is a crap one. Maybe I should do some homework on it.

Edit.
Just changed it to ExtraLong1000 and now my $6 balance due to expire at the end of June is now good until the end of August, for a one time $2 fee. Another problem fixed.
[/quote]

I noticed your problem , you use “ smart “ , smart means stupid in cambodia 😎😉😉.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:16 am
atst wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:02 am I just tried the aba app to set up mobile top up it doesn't recognize my number so I tried pin choose smart send $1 got a smart code to top up my phone, I think I'll just buy 30 $1 top ups before I fly out and use them somehow I don't trust the app
You need to set up a template before you can set up the recurring payment.
Ta that works
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic