Traveling Province to Province: State of the Roads in Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Traveling Province to Province: State of the Roads in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Now that travel is possible from province to province, let's check out the state of the roads. This has a big impact on travel time, as you can see here, driving from Sihanoukville to Kampot.
Jacob Daniel
Admin
· Yesterday·
Just in case you were wanting to drive to SHV from Kampot…🤬

Please share your experiences on the good, the bad, and the ugly stretches of road that you encounter while traveling around at the moment.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Traveling Province to Province: State of the Roads in Cambodia

Post by atst »

Road 3 Kampot to PP was great not much traffic and the roads great now it been finished except for last few klm before the airport with all the roadworks.
Nice road for a bike plenty of room on the sides to travel in away from the cars and trucks
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

atst wrote:Road 3 Kampot to PP was great not much traffic and the roads great now it been finished except for last few klm before the airport with all the roadworks.
Nice road for a bike plenty of room on the sides to travel in away from the cars and trucks
You can dodge the airport entirely by heading down HE Blvd and joining Nh3 at Tuuk Thla (I think that's where you join. Perfect road all the way if you go that way. )
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

FrankReynolds wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:14 pm
atst wrote:Road 3 Kampot to PP was great not much traffic and the roads great now it been finished except for last few klm before the airport with all the roadworks.
You can dodge the airport entirely by heading down HE Blvd and joining Nh3 at Tuuk Thla (I think that's where you join. Perfect road all the way if you go that way. )
Last time I went that way it was a goat track between 3 and 2 plus I was heading to Prey Veng
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

atst wrote:
FrankReynolds wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:14 pm
Last time I went that way it was a goat track between 3 and 2 plus I was heading to Prey Veng
Now it's smooth concrete.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'll remember that next time it was shocking back in February
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Nearly there:
The project to improve National Road 3 from Phnom Penh to Kampot has achieved 98.04% and so far only a small amount of work remains
May 29, 2021
Phnom Penh: Currently, the Ministry of Public Works and Transport is working hard to speed up the installation of speed cameras, security cameras, and weighing stations as well as the pedestrian flyover on National Road 3 between Kampot and Phnom Penh. The road works are scheduled to be completed by the end of June 2021, one more month from now.
The Ministry strongly hopes that the people and traders living along this road will cooperate with the Ministry as well as the competent authorities to improve the living environment, such as planting trees or grass. Improvements, etc., and please call on the people to take care of this road to be beautiful, safe to travel, can be used for a long time and save the national budget as well.
In addition, the road is decorated with plants, flowers and a lawn in the middle of the road with a green landscape that not only reduces the fatigue of the driver, but also brings refreshed and happy feelings for passengers, and it is also equipped with 14 speed cameras along the road to remind drivers to respect traffic rules and together maintain good traffic order and ensure safety.

Please also note that the project to expand and upgrade National Road No. 3 from Phnom Penh to Kampot, with a total length of 134,796 km, is divided into two phases: the first phase from Chom Chao (Phnom Penh) to Bek Kus (Takeo Province). ) 70 km long, widening the road width up to 24.5 meters, a type of concrete road (AC) 9 cm thick, divided into 4 lanes (2 lanes in each direction).

The second phase from Bek Kus to Kampot city, 64,826 km long, 7 cm thick AC road, widening the road body to 12 m, divided into 2 lanes. The project has a total budget of 219,911,000 US dollars, a concessional financing from the People's Republic of China, with the contribution of the Royal Government of Cambodia, built by China Road and Bridge Corporation, technical supervision by construction technical consulting firm, Guangzhou Wanan Construction Supervision Co. Ltd., taking 48 months to build.
https://phnompenhtimes.com.kh/article/L ... CJ05KloEVF
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
Can't help but think this might improve the safety on this national road...OTOH it may mean more traffic too??

@Spigzy curious as to whether the above might change your view re PP to Kampot on a moto..
That said, I'd also suggest:

1. Don't ride on national roads at any time if you value your life
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Most of the national roads are safe enough for a bike

Only 4 is kinda dodgy, but it's fine as long as you get past all the trucks

However 250cc is too slow and too low powered for Cambodia national roads nowdays; they are unsafe by being both too slow to overtake or accelerate on demand with some pep and have poor brakes for their weight
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 pm ^^
Can't help but think this might improve the safety on this national road...OTOH it may mean more traffic too??

@Spigzy curious as to whether the above might change your view re PP to Kampot on a moto..
That said, I'd also suggest:

1. Don't ride on national roads at any time if you value your life
Ha, not at all - the road looks excellent; sadly, excellent for morons to drive even more ridiculously fast & not see a motorbike. I'm just fine driving Miss Daisy around town!
:hattip:

That said, it's time for a driving/riding thread ...
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic