Traveling Province to Province: State of the Roads in Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Traveling Province to Province: State of the Roads in Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm Most of the national roads are safe enough for a bike

Only 4 is kinda dodgy, but it's fine as long as you get past all the trucks

However 250cc is too slow and too low powered for Cambodia national roads nowdays; they are unsafe by being both too slow to overtake or accelerate on demand with some pep and have poor brakes for their weight
@SINUS did it up north on a scooter..and not just on dirt roads..general-chatter/the-north-cambodia-scoo ... it=scooter
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm Most of the national roads are safe enough for a bike

However 250cc is too slow and too low powered for Cambodia national roads nowdays; they are unsafe by being both too slow to overtake or accelerate on demand with some pep and have poor brakes for their weight
@SINUS did it up north on a scooter..and not just on dirt roads..general-chatter/the-north-cambodia-scoo ... it=scooter
Yeah, great thread too.

I meant specifically for commuting/traveling on national roads at and above prevailing speeds - while I do and have done them on scoots and various dirtbikes, I feel far more secure on a larger and nimble machine. More road contact, far,far better brakes, better suspension, power on demand and comfort - I'm taller than the average person most of these scoots are designed for and my lower back gets it after more than an hour on one
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:48 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm

Yeah, great thread too.

I meant specifically for commuting/traveling on national roads at and above prevailing speeds - while I do and have done them on scoots and various dirtbikes, I feel far more secure on a larger and nimble machine. More road contact, far,far better brakes, better suspension, power on demand and comfort - I'm taller than the average person most of these scoots are designed for and my lower back gets it after more than an hour on one
Yeah, my fear is that while travelling slower on a scooter and taking your time might sound safer, you'd have a heap of cars and trucks overtaking you all the time in the process. And I guess it would only take a nudge.. Either that or when you see one coming you slow down and get right to the edge of the road..
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

4 is really dodgy the road is slightly higher than the curbside and the curbside is mostly dirt so you have nowhere to go when cars and trucks are overtaking and heading straight for you.
It safe though because they flash thier light's at you, this makes you instantly disappear out of thier way so they think.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ministry revokes contract of company repairing stretch of Nat'l Road 3
Lay Samean | Publication date 05 June 2021 | 21:18 ICT

Minister of Public Work and Transport Sun Chanthol has decided to terminate a contract with Korea Consultants International (KCI), the company that won a bid to repair a stretch of National Road 3 from Kampot province to Veal Renh commune in Preah Sihanouk province.

The move came after he discovered that the firm had not followed technical standards as stated in the contract.

Speaking during an inspection on June 5, Chanthol said KCI had already repaired over 30km of the total 54km, but the road is of poor quality.

“National Road 3 from Kampot to Veal Renh has sustained damages ... Besides contract termination, I've also relieved a secretary of state of his responsibility for this project. A new secretary of state will be in charge of completing it.

"For the remaining 20km, we don’t allow [KCI] to continue,” he said.

Although the contract is now revoked, KCI is still entitled to maintain the 34km it had already repaired for a period of three years.

The 54km stretch of National Road 3 from Kampot to Veal Renh is being repaired and maintained with financing from the World Bank, following a bidding process in line with its requirements, Chanthol said.

He explained that KCI won an $8 million bid to repair and maintain the stretch for a period of five years – two years for repairing and three years for maintainance. But after a series of inspections found that the road was not up to standards, the ministry requested another $8 million from the Bank, bringing the total costs to $16 million.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... atl-road-3
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's a weird case. Government decides that Korean company that won the tender are incompetent. I wonder much the company expended before they were told to F@ck off?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:12 am That's a weird case. Government decides that Korean company that won the tender are incompetent. I wonder much the company expended before they were told to F@ck off?
How much money they spent from the World Bank. It just looks like old times the top gains a wedge.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

National Road 3 Construction Almost Completed
Phnom Penh, June 22, 2021 --
The construction of the National Road 3, connecting Chom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh capital and Kampot province, is now 98 percent completed.

The completion of the road construction, originally planned for 2022, is set in September this year, said H.E. Sun Chanthol, Senior Minister and Minister of Public Works and Transport during an inspection visit to the construction site on Tuesday.

“Once completed, the road will be put into informal use for a year in order to check its quality,” he stressed.

The government will sign to receive the constructed road from the construction company once the quality is verified as good as mentioned in the contract, he added.

Stretching over 134 kilometres, the construction was divided into two sections. The first one of 69 kilometre long and 24.5 metre wide is from Chom Chao roundabout to Bekkus area in Takeo province, while the second of 65 kilometres in length and 12 metres in width connects Bekkus and Kampot province.

Broken ground in May 2018 under the presidency of Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE, the road construction costs US$220 million.
Surveillance cameras are planned to be installed along the road to catch the speeding drivers, whereas the maximum speed is 80 kilometres per hour, H.E. Sun Chanthol said.

The ministry also planned to set up hidden underground scales to monitor the overload transport.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/234297
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic