Arrival into Phnom Penh (Immigration and Into Quarantine)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Arrival into Phnom Penh (Immigration and Into Quarantine)

Post by The Judge »

Keaton Calhoun wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:29 am I have a one-year EOS is it possible to leave Cambodia for a few weeks and then reenter on the EOS Visa. Was wondering because I read somewhere on the forum that when the pandemic first began immigration was canceling the EOS of people who left the country.
I'm quite sure your visa would still be deemed valid, but I'm also quite sure you'd have to sit through quarantine when you come back.
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

Lost50 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:15 am All sounds like such a racket, so many eager to get your $2k.

No idea why anyone would head to Cambodia, I wish you the very best but Cambodia is a complete mess

From corona to Snooky to SR to the Chinese invasion to the fact that Cambodians are starving now shows its a place to not donate to. My friends in SR cannot eat due to no tourists, the gov does nothing, now they eat because I donated directly. Cambodian gov does nothing but yeah goid job on your $2000 'donation'.

Being here, you buy into this genocide. This is akin to supporting flogging or murder of gov opponenrs in Iran, Iraq etc etc.

Shove your selfish nonsense.
The $2000 dollars is a deposit, to cover the hotel fees for our quarantine, at a clearly billed amount of around $50 or so a day to go to the hotel. It also covers the cost of testing for Covid upon arrival (2 swab tests for the price of one each time actually as it happens) at around $100 a test (so $50 per swab). Which (hotel and testing) is a fair value compared to countries of differing economic situations both greater and lesser. The money deposit is also available to aid in ones transportation and possible strain on the state should one catch Covid whilst in quarantine and need initial care. Follow on care is then covered by a required covid inclusive insurance one must take out before travelling.

The remains of that $2000 dollars unused, should the uses beyond the room and board not be needed, is returned to you when you leave quarantine. As my wife and I are sharing a room, we will have the cost split, so we should both see a fairly good chunk of that deposit back.

This has been the experience of many entering the last few months.

I mentioned the keen nature of the ladies to help at the deposit desks because they were affable, tried really hard with their English, and are clearly working in a high risk environment with a smile on their faces even at that time of day, working really hard to do the best they can and earn what they can for them and their families. They are to be commended. They are part of a process to protect the coffers of the state, and require incomers to be responsible for their own medical needs at this time of increased risk.

The very affordable rate for this amazing hotel will also be spent, in part, though they definitely deserve more, on the incredibly diligent, kind, polite and friendly professional staffs wages as well as all the sub contracting that comes from a hotel, the supply lines, food, energy and so on and so on, through which money flows to boost the local and nationwide economy.

Of course Cambodia isn't perfect, there is a great deal of poverty and some considerably less than ideal honesty/money matters at differing levels of differing institutions. I don't like the idea of big money take over and deforestation either. But why should that stop me from moving here with my wife, to work hard on assisting the Cambodian people in a number of life changing ways. You have no idea what skill sets, work and production values we may bring to this country, to the needy or those who need a hand up or education in a variety of ways.

Siem Reap is undergoing great changes, some good, some bad. Has it all be planned perfectly? No, of course not, there is a great deal lacking in that regard. Corona has only added a great fuel to the fire of difficulties the area has faced. What better time to come and help, with knowledge and skill sets, so that the town can once again grow and thrive. The government may not be doing enough in your opinion, but they are certainly pushing hard to safely return tourism to SR and other areas that need it desperately to survive, without counterproductively endangering the health of the very vulnerable, many of whom call the town and surrounding areas home.

We may be helping the very people you are helping with your assistance in food. That in and of itself is a commendable act on your part.

But I must kindly refrain from taking up your offer of 'shov[ing] [my] selfish nonsense', and rather request you not comment on either factual matters of how quarantine payment works that you clearly know nothing about, or from making assumptions about my thoughts, feelings or motivations over coming to this amazing country with its wonderful people. Your assumptions comparing me as you do to torture in your last sentence are so far from the mark, I'm wondering if maybe you've gone off a bit and may need to have a sit down. I will assume on this occasion you are being foolish rather than assumptively rude and idiotic.

Good day sir.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

Welcome....
I suggest coming here to SR and hand out cash ...buy from small time sellers.
Buy Khmer foods and make care packages
Tourists are not going to be here this year.
Every little bit helps.
I do some...but, know I can do more...
This town will never return to what it was a few years ago.
china killed it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Which (hotel and testing) is a fair value compared to countries of differing economic situations both greater and lesser
ur joking right? most of the quarantine hotels would all be in the $20-35 range NOT $55-60

Ur deposit in addition to the hotel pays for ur transport to the hotel
security at $3/day
medical ( temp check) at $6/day
I thought the 2 tests ( one on arrival , one on day 13) were $100 each

IN my eyes the quarantine hotels are really taken advantage of the situation and vastly overcharging cause of lack or tourists

Enjoy Cambodia once you can really see it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Which (hotel and testing) is a fair value compared to countries of differing economic situations both greater and lesser
ur joking right? most of the quarantine hotels would all be in the $20-35 range NOT $55-60

Ur deposit in addition to the hotel pays for ur transport to the hotel
security at $3/day
medical ( temp check) at $6/day
I thought the 2 tests ( one on arrival , one on day 13) were $100 each

IN my eyes the quarantine hotels are really taken advantage of the situation and vastly overcharging cause of lack or tourists

Enjoy Cambodia once you can really see it
You are correct in all your assesment of money allocation. I failed to be as detailed as yourself, but you are correct. Regards the $100, yes, that is true, but they swab twice, so I meant it's 50 dollars per swab, two times, so it is $200 dollars in total for both, one on arrival, one at the end.

At the risk of sounding presumptive, I was saying that for the lovely quality of the hotel, it's great decor, great staff, good quality presentation and overall style and experience, I would have no qualms paying $50 to $60 dollars a night if I had selected it as a holiday location. I'm simply saying that I believe that value is worth it for what we have been lucky enough to receive. I am sure not all quarantine hotels apply when making this comment, I was referring only to the one we are in. I cannot speak to the experience of others in other venues.

I have no disillusion about the great challenges facing this nation. I am not under the impression that its a rosey paradise. Far from it in fact. Having spent many years living in several different places facing cultural and developmental struggles, and travelling in the past to many more, I am not naive enough to think this is the land of fruit and honey. But I choose to be optimistic about the endless possibilities experiencing a new culture can bring to those you help and to oneself. I believe that by giving what one can in whatever ways one can, changing the experience and opportunities for even one person is worth the challenge coming to a nation facing difficulties.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:02 pm
No jokes here, hotel I was quarantined in April charge 72$ per night on Booking and I have paid 60$ per night.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't understand why those idiots still haven't figured out a way to let people book a specific quarantine hotel. If I had to travel to Cambodia, I would pay almost any price to get to stay at a hotel of my own choosing, and there must be many others who wouldn't mind to pay more for a decent place.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Keaton Calhoun wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:29 am I have a one-year EOS is it possible to leave Cambodia for a few weeks and then reenter on the EOS Visa. Was wondering because I read somewhere on the forum that when the pandemic first began immigration was canceling the EOS of people who left the country.
As long as you have a valid multi entry/exit Visa EOS (6 or 12 months), you can exit and enter as many times as you like prior to the expiry date, as long as you meet all of the other current entry requirements ie. Pre-flight PCR test, Forte COVID-19 insurance policy, $2k deposit and undergo the mandatory quarantine.

They were only (wrongly) temporarily cancelling the EOS's of those leaving who held a passport from one of the 6 countries who were banned from entry for about 1 month, this was over a year ago and is no longer happening.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic