‘Phnom Penh should be a city designed for humans, not cars’

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: ‘Phnom Penh should be a city designed for humans, not cars’

Post by ali baba »

I often fantasize about the roads surrounding Psar Thmei being pedestrianised and creating a pleasant shopping district. There are multiple bus routes serving that area now so it would be even easier to make it car free and use the space that opens up for trees, plazas and cafes.
Scarier than malaria.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

xandreu wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:47 pm All cities should be designed around humans and not cars. I'm one of those really, really annoying cyclists who goes on and on about their hatred of cars and how towns and cities would be so much better if everyone either walked or cycled.

Cars are huge, filthy, disgusting, largely unnecessary things for people who are too damned lazy and selfish to walk or cycle somewhere for 30 minutes...
Agree 100%. Solution to your frustration: leave the city forever, and/or do not ride your bike in Phnom Penh.

... I used to live in Taiwan. I rode my bicycle, but only on the deserted mountain roads above the city. Never in the city proper. Had fun.

Every summer, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, I went on a 2-month cycling vacation to different countries: Laos, Nepal-India-Ladakh, South Korea, Sri Lanka and the islands of Indonesia from Bali to Timor...

On those holidays, I spent less than 5 days each in any city. All the rest of the time I spent riding through rural, mostly mountainous and seaside regions devoid of dense populations. I had fun, peace, quiet and fresh air everyday.

My solution is simple: skip the cities, and enjoy camping out in the fresh air while biking... No more frustration!

I avoid Phnom Penh as much as I possibly can! Likewise other big cities in Asia. I would never dream of cycling in cities, anywhere. Example: when I got to Delhi by air from Leh, Ladakh, I took a taxi with my bicycle to the hotel. I rode a pedicab to the metro to go have a look around town. I walked around in the park, but did not dare ride my bike in the city!
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

May I introduce you to this great YouTube channel, Not Just Bikes. It's pretty much about livable cities. The producer has lived in many world cities and shows how things should be done, using The Netherlands as a good example of designing local streets and roads for humans. Not cars, although cars get a pretty good deal too.

https://www.youtube.com/@NotJustBikes

Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:11 pm
Imagine a future scenario where Sisowath Quay is pedestrianized from the Chaktomuk Conference Hall to the Night Market, offering a continuous 1.4 kilometer-long public space, brimming with social, economic, cultural and leisure activities.
Personally, would love to see that one day. dust, fumes and noise from the traffic really spoils the otherwise breezy water side. Could be a future attraction much more than it is now.

You have forgotten how bad it was in the past

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ha! When was that taken?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:47 pm Ha! When was that taken?
Late 2007
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:56 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:47 pm Ha! When was that taken?
Late 2007
I remember, they were doing major work on Riverside it was a Japanese project.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic