‘Phnom Penh should be a city designed for humans, not cars’

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ‘Phnom Penh should be a city designed for humans, not cars’

Post by Spigzy »

Anyone who suggests cycling is okay in a pedestrian area should be shot. Those lycra boys are the worst, swiftly approached by grown men on electric mini-scooters & the like..

The city really could do with pavements/sidewalks though, it is impossible to walk anywhere seriously - even a pop to the local corner shop is a moto job just to be safe. Trouble is the streets are just not wide enough for two way traffic plus pavements; unless some fantastical one way system could be devised for narrow streets. Bit then seeing how those are observed on 51/63 etc, no chance. Probably best to leave it as "Old Phnom Penh" and as the city expands to ensure new roads, etc. meet the right criteria. Or just make a new capital city entirely.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

To be honest the cars don’t really bother me. I’m more worried about getting clipped by a Tuk-Tuk or a moped than a car. It gets pretty bad at times, especially when there are no stop signs at these intersections.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

All cities should be designed around humans and not cars. I'm one of those really, really annoying cyclists who goes on and on about their hatred of cars and how towns and cities would be so much better if everyone either walked or cycled.

Cars are huge, filthy, disgusting, largely unnecessary things for people who are too damned lazy and selfish to walk or cycle somewhere for 30 minutes. I've never cared for how unpopular that makes me, and I'm not about to start now, so try as you might, you all know that I'm right, whether you care to admit it or not.

Expecting me to slam my brakes on while cycling and wait for you to slowly reverse you're humungous 4x4 tractor out of your drive (of which you are the sole occupant) and expect me to allow you to go first is the absolute epitome of selfishness and rudeness. It happens in most towns and cities around the world but especially here in PP.

I don't have a problem with owning a car for long distance travel. I'm talking exclusively about inner city, local area type of travel. There is absolutely no reason for people to use motorised transport for journeys of 30 minutes or so, unless you have some sort of disability. And if there were no traffic, that journey, be it walking or cycling, would be so much more pleasant.

If someone walked up to you with a bag full of toxic, poisonous gas and said "Could you inhale this for me so that I don't have to walk to work," you'd quite rightly punch them in the face, yet that's exactly what people make other people do every day. In fact, they don't even ask. It's just taken for granted.

Let alone the sheer noise and stressful atmosphere traffic creates. We don't notice the noise when we go outside because our ears have evolved to block it out, but one of the things that makes being in the countryside to pleasant is the lack of ambient background traffic noise.

Cars have become such a feature of modern life that we have largely stopped imagining what it would be like without them, but I think people would be amazed at just how much their quality of life would improve if cars were largely banned in inner cities and towns.

OK rant over.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

The worst part is how crowded the streets are here at rushhour, and when you look inside the honking SUVs, it's just one guy, and three empty seats most of the time. What a gigantic waste of resources in the name of progress. I've been walking around a lot lately. It's possible but not very comfortable, but it's good excersize and fairly entertaining. I don't feel threatened as a pedestrian here in general. This is mostly in the mornings though. The evening rush hour is the worst here.
Last edited by newsgatherer on Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

xandreu wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:47 pm All cities should be designed around humans and not cars. I'm one of those really, really annoying cyclists who goes on and on about their hatred of cars and how towns and cities would be so much better if everyone either walked or cycled.

Cars are huge, filthy, disgusting, largely unnecessary things for people who are too damned lazy and selfish to walk or cycle somewhere for 30 minutes. I've never cared for how unpopular that makes me, and I'm not about to start now, so try as you might, you all know that I'm right, whether you care to admit it or not.

Expecting me to slam my brakes on while cycling and wait for you to slowly reverse you're humungous 4x4 tractor out of your drive (of which you are the sole occupant) and expect me to allow you to go first is the absolute epitome of selfishness and rudeness. It happens in most towns and cities around the world but especially here in PP.

I don't have a problem with owning a car for long distance travel. I'm talking exclusively about inner city, local area type of travel. There is absolutely no reason for people to use motorised transport for journeys of 30 minutes or so, unless you have some sort of disability. And if there were no traffic, that journey, be it walking or cycling, would be so much more pleasant.

If someone walked up to you with a bag full of toxic, poisonous gas and said "Could you inhale this for me so that I don't have to walk to work," you'd quite rightly punch them in the face, yet that's exactly what people make other people do every day. In fact, they don't even ask. It's just taken for granted.

Let alone the sheer noise and stressful atmosphere traffic creates. We don't notice the noise when we go outside because our ears have evolved to block it out, but one of the things that makes being in the countryside to pleasant is the lack of ambient background traffic noise.

Cars have become such a feature of modern life that we have largely stopped imagining what it would be like without them, but I think people would be amazed at just how much their quality of life would improve if cars were largely banned in inner cities and towns.

OK rant over.
Great rant, its the main reason I liked Venice, I didn't realize how much till I left and arrived in Florence and nearly got run over by idiots on bikes.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Kenr wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 am To be honest the cars don’t really bother me. I’m more worried about getting clipped by a Tuk-Tuk or a moped than a car. It gets pretty bad at times, especially when there are no stop signs at these intersections.
That should be about the same modifications. It would be easiest if some barriers were put up to separate cars from bikes and bikes from people.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:36 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 am To be honest the cars don’t really bother me. I’m more worried about getting clipped by a Tuk-Tuk or a moped than a car. It gets pretty bad at times, especially when there are no stop signs at these intersections.
That should be about the same modifications. It would be easiest if some barriers were put up to separate cars from bikes and bikes from people.
Decapitations and accidental amputations would skyrocket - that's all that barriers separating cars and motos would cause
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:36 pm
The only way you could do that is make most of these streets one-way. These streets aren’t wide enough for something like that. Expanding the streets would mean tearing down structures.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Imagine a future scenario where Sisowath Quay is pedestrianized from the Chaktomuk Conference Hall to the Night Market, offering a continuous 1.4 kilometer-long public space, brimming with social, economic, cultural and leisure activities.
Personally, would love to see that one day. The dust, fumes and noise from the traffic really spoils the otherwise breezy water side. Could be a future attraction much more than it is now.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

There have been plans for some time to make Sissowath and Street 5 pedestrial. Hence, the new hotels past Street 102. They will also be for the Chinese workers, lots of small rooms, and expensive.
It could be a good investment to get something down there, if you thought you'd live long enough to see it eventuate - they started talking about what happened to Sihanoukville, years earlier, but when it happened, it was swift, leaving a lot of displaced people - and with the hope of being bought out and not thrown out, as a worst scenario.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic