Brits in France Mistake Catfood for Pate

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Brits in France Mistake Catfood for Pate

Post by Anchor Moy »

After 5 years of living in France, some elderly British people are still not able to tell the difference between pate and cat food. This would not surprise me too much, (there is some terrible pate out there), except that there is a big photo of a cat on the cat food tin. Or did they think they were eating pate de chat (cat) ?
Elderly couple rave about 'gorgeous' pâté before realising they've been eating cat food
Angela Holloway's elderly parents accidentally ate cat food, believing it was pâté, after she forgot to separate her own items from her parents' when picking up their groceries
By Emma Rosemurgey

12:59, 24 May 2021

An elderly couple have hilariously and unknowingly developed a love for eating cat food, after mistaking it for pâté.

Angela Holloway was confused when her mum Margaret Lincoln and step-dad Donald Lincoln asked her to pick up some more of the 'gorgeous' pâte she'd given them after delivering their weekly shop.

Her mother, 80-year-old Margaret, told her they had eaten "a really lovely dinner of absolutely gorgeous pâté and baked bread," and even asked her to pick up some more.

However, a very confused Angela was left "howling with laughter" after her mum showed her the packet, only for her to discover it was in fact a tin of cat food she had bought for her own pet.

The confusion occurred because the label was written in French, as the family, who are originally from Sheffield, moved to France back in 2015, but haven't quite fully gotten the hang of reading all labels.

"Obviously, living in France, it's quite hard, we kind of have to work out what something is," Angela explained.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... t-24172646
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Brits in France Mistake Catfood for Pate

Post by hanno »

French cat food is probably better than anything they had in Sheffield....
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

European culture sure has broken down huh
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

:lol:
An interesting alternative for less fortunate gourmets and cuisine amateurs from abroad.
Expect a catfood price rise at Thai Huot supermarket, or a label switch on the cans.

Clue for our non-fluent Anglo Saxons gourmets elderlies tourists : when an animal is pictured on a can, it's either food for it, or made of it.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Mon May 24, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

pebbles&nightsky
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

As long as they enjoyed it, why not :)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:32 pm :lol:
An interesting alternative for less fortunate gourmets and cuisine amateurs from abroad.
Expect a catfood price rise at Thai Huot supermarket, or a label switch on the cans.

Clue for our non-fluent Anglo Saxons gourmets elderlies tourists : when an animal is pictured on a can, it's either food for it, or made of it.
I seem to remember that pate (the cheap stuff) does come in little tins like that; Pate au foie gras de canard is what I looked for in the supermarkets in Calais when I did the booze cruises. Lovely stuff and not expensive.

Is that still the case?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I ate dog food when drunk. Wasn't so bad.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:41 pm I ate dog food when drunk. Wasn't so bad.
I ate dog thinking it was either beef or lamb, it was awesome.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

laugh all you want...
No flies on these two old cookies - they're awoke to the joke
Spoiler:
it all comes out of the same factory, Comrade
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic