Does anyone have experience traveling through Cambodia lately?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Does anyone have experience traveling through Cambodia lately?

Post by bossho »

Can I get some information about people's trials with interprovincial travel in the last few days? Where were the Health Checkpoints, what was required of you at the stop, how long, when, exactly was the stop?
Back in the final week of March the Health Checkpoints were new and they checked temperatures, did a little questionnaire and I had to scan into the countrywide tracking app, this was at Siem Reap into Banteay Meanchey and also at the border of Siem Reap and Kompong Thom traveling after 5 pm and both stops were 10-15 minutes.
In the last week I have heard but was not able to confirm that a Covid vaccination record along with passport is required for foreign travelers. Since these particulars may vary from province to province, I thought that a thread collecting people's observations would be the most helpful and while there are other active threads to put in this query it seems like this is specific enough to warrant a dedicated thread.

Thank you for all the information in advance.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does anyone have experience traveling through Cambodia lately?

Post by ssian »

what health checkpoint?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Last week I did Phnom Penh-Kandal-Prey Veng-Kampong Cham-Tbong Kmoum-Kratie-Stueng Treng-Rattanakiri.
Only two health checkpoints. One at the Stueng Treng border and one at the Ratanakiri border. At the Ratanakiri border they had me (quick) tested for Covid-19.
The situation is fluid though and checks can be set up overnight. So can lockdowns and you might find yourself caught in one. If you're not prepared to spend a few weeks in a province far from home don't travel. I think it's that simple.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

ssian:
"what health checkpoint?"

Bossho response:

The health checkpoints refer to police roadblocks where police monitor all people passing thru the checkpoint for signs of Covid infection i.e. taking temperatures, looking for symptoms, having pass thru people scan into the tracking app, etc. The checkpoints have been used intermittently since March 2021 most typically at the border of two provinces or at the edge of a city. People that attempt to avoid the checkpoints on back roads have been arrested and placed in quarantine for 14 days. It is advisable that if passing thru a checkpoint zone that you do not try to go around it for any reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic