Is Cambodia a Paradise for Digital Nomads ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is Cambodia a Paradise for Digital Nomads ?

Post by Brody »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 am comments are pathetic.
Not as pathetic as your idiotic comments to Bubble T. :thumb:
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Brody wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:03 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 am comments are pathetic.
Not as pathetic as your idiotic comments to Bubble T. :thumb:
Please explain to me why you would want to pay tax for business done online in Cambodia I'd love to hear it.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am Please explain to me
I already did. :thumb:

go back and reread it. Thrill me with your acumen.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Brody wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am Please explain to me
I already did. :thumb:

go back and reread it. Thrill me with your acumen.
No you didn't.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Bubble T wrote:There isn't a long term visa that remote workers can legally and reliably get without breaking the rules, nor is there a coherent system in place for them to be able to pay their taxes.

This is why, as a remote worker with a family seeking long term stability, I had to make the decision to leave Cambodia. Hard to see how they could omit this kind of info from their article.
Exactly. The article is pretty silly. I mean I guess it's fine if you want to work here remotely for 1-6 months or something, but it isn't straightforward past that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 am
Bubble T wrote:There isn't a long term visa that remote workers can legally and reliably get without breaking the rules, nor is there a coherent system in place for them to be able to pay their taxes.

This is why, as a remote worker with a family seeking long term stability, I had to make the decision to leave Cambodia. Hard to see how they could omit this kind of info from their article.
Exactly. The article is pretty silly. I mean I guess it's fine if you want to work here remotely for 1-6 months or something, but it isn't straightforward past that.
Well, the article references digital nomads not long term forigen residents.

1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of nomads a nomadic tribe nomadic herders. 2 : roaming about from place to place aimlessly, frequently, or without a fixed pattern of movement a nomadic hobo
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:46 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 am

Well, the article references digital nomads not long term forigen residents.
Digital nomads......unless sponsored by a Cambodia registered company or have registered as their own business entity with a tax patent number are not legally able to work in Cambodia or receive an EB visa extension.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Not sure how credible this is... With the constant interruption and cut off internet access has been very frustrating...
Imagine in the middle of a con-call team meeting and having to keep rejoin and disconnect, rejoin and disconnect for the 30mins fixed schedule.
Especially evening, it gets worse... So how is it Cambodia is much better? When in SG, TH and MY i have been to, no drop in connectivity...
Not to mention about cut off of electricity during raining...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I've done it, it's possible but you need several backup systems. A broken laptop can break your business here unless you're prepared to cough up money, set up a new one, and go back to work again. You need power backup and possibly 4g backup for your connection.

Visa are a major hassle now (have been for years actually). Nomads are not legally employed so EB extensions are not available unless you cheat. If you're over fifty you can go for a retirement visa but most nomads will be too young for that. That means coming and going to get new visa which is a no go at the moment. Cambodia was nomad's heaven until four years ago. Now it's no longer the case.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:I've done it, it's possible but you need several backup systems. A broken laptop can break your business here unless you're prepared to cough up money, set up a new one, and go back to work again. You need power backup and possibly 4g backup for your connection.
Depends on the job. If you're day-trading maybe, but a digital nomad can also be a graphic designer or some other job that doesn't require amazing internet for instant feedback.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic