Siem Reap destroyed

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Siem Reap destroyed

Post by lagrange »

I first traveled to Siem Reap in 2013, I thought it was a pleasant little town. So I came back here last September to live, I enjoyed the lack of tourists, the river walks were nice and peaceful, the minimal traffic made getting around so easy. And all the bars and cafes, struggling but still going. But today? The town is a f**king third world shithole. And I have lived in some shitholes. The worst part is to fix up the bloody mess will take more money and engineering expertise than can possibly exist in the whole country. Such a shame, it should have been a showcase, now it's just an outdoor toilet.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Siem Reap destroyed

Post by Anchor Moy »

lagrange wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 pm I first traveled to Siem Reap in 2013, I thought it was a pleasant little town. So I came back here last September to live, I enjoyed the lack of tourists, the river walks were nice and peaceful, the minimal traffic made getting around so easy. And all the bars and cafes, struggling but still going. But today? The town is a f**king third world shithole. And I have lived in some shitholes. The worst part is to fix up the bloody mess will take more money and engineering expertise than can possibly exist in the whole country. Such a shame, it should have been a showcase, now it's just an outdoor toilet.
If I was you I'd check out Sihanoukville for the contrast.
:bow:
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

lagrange wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 pm Oh Bugger I am just about to go there for a look see .... my thoughts to move there from Phnom Penh ... some stunning houses there for rent at a fraction of the price of PP :facepalm: your post isn't encouraging at all sadly
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

lagrange wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 pm I first traveled to Siem Reap in 2013, I thought it was a pleasant little town. So I came back here last September to live, I enjoyed the lack of tourists, the river walks were nice and peaceful, the minimal traffic made getting around so easy. And all the bars and cafes, struggling but still going. But today? The town is a f**king third world shithole. And I have lived in some shitholes. The worst part is to fix up the bloody mess will take more money and engineering expertise than can possibly exist in the whole country. Such a shame, it should have been a showcase, now it's just an outdoor toilet.
We should be arriving in SR after our quarantine is over. I have nothing to compare it to, but there quite a few videos on an infrastructure channel on YouTube showing all the road works and and dug up areas from his bike rides.

Is it this level of infrastructure upheaval that has given you the impression you have or is it something more? I know many bars and such are closed or have been closed and therefore it's not as 'lively' in that way. Is this also a factor?

Are you referring to crime and safety levels however? Is this an element to which you refer?

Could you be more specific about the problems you have with the town?

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy with it. Despite the roadworks I have been in touch with several people on and off the CEO board who, despite the difficulties of commerce and roadworks, are still very much enjoying their time in SR.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

yes I lived with two years of road works in Philippines was a bloody nightmare I admit when dry there were dust storms literally impossible to keep dust out of the house when wet it was a quagmire of mud and again impossible to keep out of the house .. at my age now I wouldn't plan on travelling around much just for grocery shopping but certainly once a week or so for a few beers or G&T's.
wonder why SR doesn't have many bars compared to PP is there a reason for that ?
I would have thought pre covid at least, bars would thrive there since it is tourist driven.
alo interested to hear on growing crime ... no work / jobs = high crime just a fact of life kids get hungry dads will do almost anything to fed his kids.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It was nice pre-2009. Still way too many hotels even at that stage, but in 2013 is simply awful - I preferred staying in Battambang on my field trips than end up in SIem Reap. If Pub Street never reopens it'll be too soon.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I have no direct experience living there but having joined a number of FB housing for rent and sale groups, the newsfeed has heaps of properties for sale and rentals that appear to me bargained priced (relative to where I live in PP). Indeed, there are some lovely villas with pools and garden.

Whilst it gives me the impression that everyone is (nearly?) trying to get out of there..given covid has killed it's major revenue earner and the associated infrastructure works, I can't help but think that with a glass half full attitude.. now might be a good time to set oneself up there for when things get better..?? I personally wouldn't move there but I can see there may be opportunities for others who can ride through the current situation?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I would have thought pre covid at least, bars would thrive there since it is tourist driven.
You are not alone.
There is a limitless stream of triers who leave destitute within a year.
Was pretty much over by 2010
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

So I'm getting mixed messages from these posts. Is the general feeling that there are too many pubs and hotels (obv we will refer to pre covid for the moment for this query). Or are people saying that pubs and venues don't last, and it is awash with failure?

Some things I have read on websites and blogs also seem to contradict. Some say the pubs and karaoke and general atmosphere was too much, too many drunk/wasted tourists and an increase in crime.

Others I read said there were many closures, businesses failed and there was less and less to do as the years went on.

I know right now there are the roadworks and covid has turned things on there head the world over.

But if one is seeking a developing country vibe, with lax (compared to the west) pace of life, attitude and availability of various pleasures, old school cultures brushing up alongside modernising attitudes and a deep sense of time (temples), not too much overdevelopment and concrete everywhere, smaller scale and traditional buildings mixed with small scale modern builds, little mom n pop shops, some no more than sheds, older colonial style stone buildings on the larger roads, cheap (again compared to the west) daily amenities, dusty streets with old cars and bikes on them, a world away from 'normal Western life' is this pocket of the KOW (SR) not still an amazing place to live for a while. I don't care for lots of tourists personally, but if they are there in the city centre that's fine too (Bali for example is awash in the main cities, but a few miles out and its richly old school and hardly a trustafarian in sight.)

Obviously I do not know how or what to compare for pre 2010 and post 2010 to now, but from what I've seen read and heard, it is everything I'm seeking for this chapter in my life. I am open to being wrong about many things, but coming from an crazily socially stifling country where I have been residing most recently (SK), and looking back at blighty as an increasingly regulated nanny state, I feel the KOW will still hopefully be a big exhale for the soul and spirit.... I may be wrong, but I'm excited to start things off there in a few weeks.

Edits for phrasing
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

MaxNormal wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:34 pm So I'm getting mixed messages from these posts. Is the general feeling that there are too many pubs and hotels (obv we will refer to pre covid for the moment for this query). Or are people saying that pubs and venues don't last, and it is awash with failure?

Some things I have read on websites and blogs also seem to contradict. Some say the pubs and karaoke and general atmosphere was too much, too many drunk/wasted tourists and an increase in crime.

Others I read said there were many closures, businesses failed and there was less and less to do as the years went on.

I know right now there are the roadworks and covid has turned things on there head the world over.

But if one is seeking a developing country vibe, with lax (compared to the west) pace of life, attitude and availability of various pleasures, old school cultures brushing up alongside modernising attitudes and a deep sense of time (temples), not too much overdevelopment and concrete everywhere, smaller scale and traditional buildings mixed with small scale modern builds, little mom n pop shops, some no more than sheds, older colonial style stone buildings on the larger roads, cheap (again compared to the west) daily amenities, dusty streets with old cars and bikes on them, a world away from 'normal Western life' is this pocket of the KOW (SR) not still an amazing place to live for a while. I don't care for lots of tourists personally, but if they are there in the city centre that's fine too (Bali for example is awash in the main cities, but a few miles out and its richly old school and hardly a trustafarian in sight.)

Obviously I do not know how or what to compare for pre 2010 and post 2010 to now, but from what I've seen read and heard, it is everything I'm seeking for this chapter in my life. I am open to being wrong about many things, but coming from an crazily socially stifling country where I have been residing most recently (SK), and looking back at blighty as an increasingly regulated nanny state, I feel the KOW will still hopefully be a big exhale for the soul and spirit.... I may be wrong, but I'm excited to start things off there in a few weeks.

Edits for phrasing
There were too many hotels. I believe also too many restaurants and bars as well. Especially too many restaurants and bars were catering just western clientele. Crime has never really been problem in Siem Reap, though obviously there has been increase in that too as the city has grown. Villa and apartment rents have always been lowest in Siem Reap.

Edit. Just to add that it's not a bad place to live after the road works end in sometime 2022 and if you don't mind all the tourists or the hot climate.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Thu May 20, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic