Phnom Penh job offer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh job offer

Post by John Bingham »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:34 am
Boshlike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:14 am Lol even Singapore didn't ban alcohol

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Yes, enjoy your $15 a glass beers. :tard:
In Cambodia you can still buy chewing gum unlike Singapore
In Cambodia you can still buy alcohol. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

👀
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:34 am
Boshlike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:14 am Lol even Singapore didn't ban alcohol

Yes, enjoy your $15 a glass beers. :tard:
In Cambodia you can still buy chewing gum unlike Singapore
In Cambodia you can still buy alcohol. 8)
Even in Phnom penh. Cambodia beer 2,500 riel.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 pm Even in Phnom penh. Cambodia beer 2,500 riel.
You must live central, it's only 2000 in the suburbs.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Boshlike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 am Right, I ask a question and get abuse.

Cheers.

Chaps

Get abused???....That made me laugh.....Sounds like you do need a change of scenery....Come over here and get some hair on your chest.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Boshlike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:29 am Hi all, been offered a decent job in Phnom Penh and was considering the move from Singapore. My reasoning is that Singapore is incredibly Draconian and I can't see them lifting lockdown for the next few years in any decent way.

Just wanted to get an idea of the situation on the ground in Cambodia. Does it look like restrictions are there to stay or are there signs of it ending?

I don't want to swap one prison for another.

OP- I'm not up-to-date on what's happening in Singapore but just picking up on your first sentence..I guess there are 'lockdowns' and 'lockdowns' and the specifics of what that entails varies for each country.

On top of the stated no alcohol and 8pm curfew here, all the bars et al are closed and restaurants are only allowed to operate on a takeaway basis..hence, no eat in. For the time being that is..which seems to be reviewed every 2 weeks. I just read today there are no more red zone restrictions so that means you can travel freely, again, for the time being.
I can't see them lifting lockdown for the next few years in any decent way
So this is a key question anywhere I guess and will largely depend on the rollout and success of the vaccines. If things get worse here, it might be no better than where you are and if you need medical/hospital care you're probably better there. So, it's hard to plan anything these days imo
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP The problem is that nobody can predict the future, especially in Cambodia. If someone had suggested that there would be a ban on selling alcohol anywhere in Cambodia 6 months ago, I would have said BS, no way. Bars have been closed in Phnom Penh before, but usually for a couple of days in a restricted zone. And then all goes back to normal. Normally, but these are not normal times. However, there are always ways and means.

In Singapore, there is probably some logic to lockdowns, but as every expat in Cambodia will tell you, there is not much logic in the Kingdom of Wonder. By the time you get here, the Covid problem may be better, or it may be worse, and I don't think that anyone can tell you more , except perhaps your local fortune-teller.
But yes, if you are looking for the anti-Singapore, Phnom Penh might be exactly what you need. :beer2:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Boshlike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 am Right, I ask a question and get abuse.

Cheers.

Chaps

That's wasn't abuse - trust me. :D

Anyway, to answer some of your direct questions: Nobody really knows when the ban will end, but the infection numbers are heading in the right direction and the authorities are aware of the damage that is happening to the economy (and their own personal wealth). They are not keeping things closed for fun.

However... the nightlife that Phnom Penh is known for will not be coming back anytime soon. For that to happen they will have to open their borders to tourists (i.e. issue no questions asked tourist visas) and not force them into 14+ days quarantine for the best part of $2000 when they arrive.

There is no sign of either of these two things happening in the near future. Even when they lift the alcohol ban and lift the dining inside ban, you are still left with Phnom Penh being very quiet in the tourist areas.

I have never been to Singapore, but I think this place will still be a lot more fun than Singapore in the next few months.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 pm Even in Phnom penh. Cambodia beer 2,500 riel.
You must live central, it's only 2000 in the suburbs.
Was just visiting, but yes, Central. Bought them just North of Kandal Market.

Luckily not living in the Penh. Felt like a ghost town with all the bad stuff in your face and all the good stuff removed.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Getting Salty Kammekor?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic