8 Dead After Drinking Rice Wine at Kandal Funeral (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 8 Dead After Drinking Rice Wine at Kandal Funeral

Post by John Bingham »

nemo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:56 pm The first bit of the run is called foreshots, it comes off at a much lower temperature than ethanol and is mostly methanol.
It should be removed from the main run product.
Cereal or starchy worts make more methanol than sugar or fruit based spirits.
That's what I am led to believe. Many people seem to think (not saying it's impossible but unlikely) it's deliberately concocted out of methanol and water because that might be cheap, but the amounts of methanol in it are tiny. It's more likely what you say, bad manufacturing practices.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Why would they purchase methanol when they can make ethanol at a lower cost?
It is pure ignorance.
Speaking as a former small time distiller.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Fuck me, I always wondered why distilleries were so tightly regulated back home.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Fuck me, I always wondered why distilleries were so tightly regulated back home.
The dogs o' the excise.
Very simple to discard the foreshots.
All moonshiners know this.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nemo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 pm Why would they purchase methanol when they can make ethanol at a lower cost?
I have no idea how much these chemicals cost. I haven't drunk rice wine in many years.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nemo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 pm Why would they purchase methanol when they can make ethanol at a lower cost?
It is pure ignorance.
Speaking as a former small time distiller.
The Khmer Times is saying this:
Extra methanol mixed with wine caused Kampot poisonings

As a result, in a statement on Tuesday, the Ministry of Health said the National Public Health Laboratory showed about six out of 11 wine samples contained more than 0.2 percent methanol, up to 11.9 percent, which causes poisoning. The non-toxic level should not exceed 0.1 percent.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50863097/e ... 1_zqRe_0oc
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

They say anything the moment it enters their pea brains.
In the natural process of distillation the meth comes across first- results being a very high concentration in the first bottle of the run.
Lethal dose is only about 30 ml.
more here
https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/06/th ... 2D30%20mL.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nemo wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm They say anything the moment it enters their pea brains.
LOL, I wasn't trying to say it was true.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Seven Dead; Rice Wine Poisoning Suspected
Cambodia News, (Pursat): On June 2, 2021, there was another case of suspected alcohol poisoning in Krakor district, Pursat province, resulting in seven deaths in a row, while more than 30 people are being treated at the hospital.
The case of alcohol poisoning started from a drinking party at a funeral a few days ago, resulting in a series of deaths. The seven people who died in the alcohol poisoning were all women.
RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 8 Dead After Drinking Rice Wine at Kandal Funeral (UPDATED)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE from Pursat
June 3, 2021
8 dead and 76 in hospital for suspected rice wine poisoning

Eight people including a man died and 76 others are being treated at the Pursat Provincial Referral Hospital for suspected drinking of adulterated rice wine bought at a shop while attending a funeral in Kampong Thkol village, Ansar Chambak commune in Krakor district, Pursat province.

Eight people died between May 28 and yesterday. The 76 others who attended the funeral are also hospitalised during the same period with two of them reported being in critical condition.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50867146/e ... poisoning/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic