Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kahuna wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:31 pm @clutchcargo you may notice this as well, it seems that Bloom Asia is indeed a part of the Gateway Baptist Church. Copied from the 2019 annual report for the church but I still don't understand why they are not upfront about being an offshoot of an evangelical church although to be honest I'd keep it quiet too.

In 2019 we marked the 10th
anniversary of Bloom—and we
celebrated the milestone with
a cake, of course! This year we
also celebrated another 14 brave
ladies, rescued from the horrors
of trafficking, who graduated with
formal qualifications and an open
door to their new future of healing,
hope and purpose.
After more than 10 years in
Cambodia, Bloom also said goodbye
to Ruth and Murray Larwill in
December—not from Bloom entirely,
but from Cambodia. The Larwills
returned to Brisbane where Ruth
continues part time and Murray
serves on the Bloom board.
At the end of 2019, Bloom also closed
the Cebu centre. After more than
three years, it was a hard decision
prayerfully made, but sets up Bloom
to best serve the changing landscape
of need.
But be encouraged: all Cebu girls
were placed into jobs with their
new future in place. And just as
importantly, every girl was tangibly
transformed by the love of God. We
thank Him for the opportunity to bring
His healing into the many lives and
families there during that season.
Murray & Ruth Larwill
Bloom Directors
That journey of encounter with
Jesus was beautifully highlighted
recently with the testimony of one
Cambodian girl. At 14, her family slept
on cardboard in the street. She was
pregnant and exploited every night.
Today her testimony is very different.
“I now have a new future at Bloom
and Jesus made my heart come alive!
Apart from Him my life was so messy.
But now I pray for me and my family.
I’m still not perfect (ha ha) but I try to
read my bible with my son every night,
and the Lord gives me strength and
hope to go on each day”.

I used to work in the air force with a bloke who was a member of one of these "I found Jesus again" churches and he gave 10% of his gross salary to the church. I asked him one day what happened to his generous donation and he said it goes to a village in Africa where they had a village school set up (now bear in mind his wage at the time would have been close to $70,000 AUD gross and a lot more if he was deployed and received further allowances and at times his pay would be tax free for up to 6 months). We had a bit of a discussion and I said I didn't agree with religion in general let alone the tub thumping evangelical mobs and he said his church wasn't like that, they didn't preach to the village as such but if a student or parent asked where the pencil and paper came from then the answer would be that Jesus provided it. They were able to convert the kids into believing that Jesus could do miracles for them if they believed in him and of course they were given bibles as gifts so they could read about all the miracles.
So in that respect and instance they didn't operate a church much the same way as I think this organisation is doing.
My bolding above.

Yes, and I daresay the 14 yr old exploited khmer girl was probably, similarly told that Jesus (not Bloom Asia nor the Baptist Church) provided that salvation.

And it seems to me this sort of practice where they prey on the poor and underprivileged to get their religious values across reeks of slyness and covertness imo. If they had a strong and worthy message to sell, then, why do they need to focus on the down and out who have fertile minds for clutching at straws of salvation out of desperation? Here's another example to illustrate this: post492335.html#p492335

So are they proselytising? The indicators certainly suggest that..albeit in an underhanded manner.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bible cake
It's cute, but would you eat it ?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Who said anything about decorating cakes?
We are just Baptists.

bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yes, these are clear examples of the mental manipulation regime that some religious groups hardball at the most vulnerable people in the world.

If I am able to get to Phnom Penh someday again I would gladly go onsite at Bloom or any other foreign aid organization with my phone on video record and get right up in these foreigner's faces and read them some universally accepted guidelines for the work they do. Picking on the un guarded psyches of chronically impoverished people in order to get your own little God story into their heads is sick and akin to physical bullying. Nothing I like more than beating up bullies.

I am watching and listening and will be doing my own research on them too.

Thank you CEO community, it is thru these dialogues that we can grow and adjust our own prejudices and angles on things. The dialogue gives perspective and gives us distance so that we can see the whole picture.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic