Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Let's cut to the chase: they are Baptist Church missionaries. And despite their stated motives to empower disadvantaged young women who have been rescued from exploitation, they are also on a mission to spread the word of Jesus. Convert souls to Christianity.

So there is an ulterior motive because the fact that they are missionaries or that the organisation they work for is run by the Baptist Church does not appear mentioned on their organisation's website nor is it mentioned in the OP news story as to the reasons for them coming to Cambodia.

The omission of that important fact, I believe, is disingenuous and begs the question: why do they need to deceive people like that? They should be transparent as to their motives and say so up front in my book so that people know what they are about.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

But you can support them by by joining their cake decorating school!

Love travel? Love cake decorating? Love making memories?
Learn world-class cake decorating skills and experience the vibrancy of all that Cambodia has to offer!

Looking for an an amazing girls’ getaway? Want to create special memories on a mother-daughter trip of a lifetime? Take a short term cake decorating course at Bloom! We'll teach you skills that will help you create special birthday memories for your family and friends for years to come! And in your spare time you can explore the markets, taste delicious Khmer food and enjoy luxurious spa treatments from facials to full body massages at a fraction of the price you’re used to paying!

The Bloom Asia Cake Decorating Tour offers a rare glimpse inside Bloom Training Centre – a world class, not-for-profit, cake decorating school that operates to bring healing, hope and purpose to young women in Cambodia. Not only will your trip provide you with a memorable trip to Cambodia, you’ll also make a real difference as your course fee will pay the cost for a young survivor of trauma to enter the training program and start a new life.

The Bloom Asia Cake Decorating Tour package costs just $2248 and includes:

7 nights accommodation in a luxury hotel (for two people per hotel room; if you would like a room to yourself,, add $350)
Daily breakfast;
Return airport transfers;
The Bloom Asia Cake Decorating Masterclasses (including all equipment and materials for nine sessions with beginner or advanced options)
Phnom Penh sightseeing tours: discover vibrant Phnom Penh, shop the local markets and immerse yourself in the local culture
3-hour indulgence package at a luxury spa

https://bloomasia.org/cakedecoratingschool/

I think they were inspired by Marie Antoinette

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cake decorating?

How about teaching them something more intellectually meaningful with greater promise for future prospects.

Something in the STEM fields maybe?

Naw, science, technology, engineering and math take too long.

We can show cashed up bleeding heart donors, concrete results in weeks if not days.........."Look, now I can make a rose out of frosting!" "Watch me support my family with this skill."

Also..........a cake decorating school for women?!? Where is the woke mob? "Look, white privileged CIS males are trying to keep women in the kitchen!"
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Brody wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am Cake decorating?

How about teaching them something more intellectually meaningful with greater promise for future prospects.

Something in the STEM fields maybe?

Naw, science, technology, engineering and math take too long.

We can show cashed up bleeding heart donors, concrete results in weeks if not days.........."Look, now I can make a rose out of frosting!" "Watch me support my family with this skill."

Also..........a cake decorating school for women?!? Where is the woke mob? "Look, white privileged CIS males are trying to keep women in the kitchen!"
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

it looks like the youngish couple should be starting a family of their own
but good luck to them on their foreign doing-good adventure

do bloom proselytize?
they run a cafe so they're unlikely to teach rocket engineering

the gender bias is excusable, since girls are often last in line for education
on the other hand sexism and exploitation are often caused by men
so perhaps teaching men to be more upstanding would yield better results
than stoking anglo-style gender 'empowerment' and confrontation

i wonder which one had the idea to come to cambodia?
either way, i will place a small wager that she leaves before he does
lol

monstra mihi bona!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:50 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:26 am Being a cross-cultural change agent in Cambodia must be a very difficult job.
How unusually diplomatic of you there Stern :mrgreen:
Pushing shit uphill.

That better, Clutch?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tired of this nonsense making news in home countries, there are expats past & present who have done a huge deal more for Cambodia than this that actually deserve making headlines, but good luck to them all the same.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I ran into a couple of young American kids in Phnom Penh years ago who were doing something similar in Battambang. I remember their Khmer was some of the best I've heard over here from foreigners.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

This one is age-restricted so

if you are too lazy signing in

which oddly is described as "non-profit video"
too bad it isn't marked as "not-for-profit video"

each to their own devices
with a little help or not
from a friend (or foe)
pebbles&nightsky
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cooldude wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:41 pm I ran into a couple of young American kids in Phnom Penh years ago who were doing something similar in Battambang. I remember their Khmer was some of the best I've heard over here from foreigners.
Did they both share the same first name, 'Elder'?
And, were they pushing or riding bicycles?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic