Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

Post by bossho »

boss:

My retort to Herr Nerdlinger was his penchant in previous posts for pitching us all in the dirty old sex pat wagon.
[/quote]

Nerd:

Not sure how you managed to read that subtext into my suggestion, but I think my post was vindicated by the fact that I count no less than seven different posters in this thread (so far) who had negative things to say about this couple.
[/quote]

boss:

I was referring to previous posts where you have taken unfair cheap shots at posters and residents here. Your whole thing is deconstruction and negativity, that's why I say come to Cambodia and build something and get frustrated doing it but build something.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 pm
I’ve witness hundreds of lives changed through P.S.E, trash picking kids becoming valuable professionals in the F&B or Hospitality industry.
PSE is a fantastic organization, it helps families in so many ways. They have had a difficult time recently because of school closures, lockdowns, increasing loss of means among the group they help and the lack of donors passing through town. I respect them most because they have a total program which supports disadvantaged children all the way through education to being very employable. They also recognize that poor families' need their children's contribution to the household too - so they aid the student's families too.
And they also began as amateur do-gooders just leaded by their heart, so, there's hope on those two newcomers.

My first Khmer meal outside my friend's house, the second day, was a beef Lok-Lak at PSE. It was friendly and impressive, as i had a quick tour of the place, then a meal in their little restaurant. The meal was a good introduction to the country, simple, tasty, fulfilling. The students were busy and vivid, i was happy already but i left even better.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

What visa are they coming here on ?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

atst wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 am What visa are they coming here on ?
As they already have a 12 month contract with the not-for-profit organization Bloom Asia, they'll probably get a C-class visa.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:54 pm Off to Cambodia to help break cycle of exploitation endured by women
by Sophie Rishworth
Published May 15, 2021 10:08AM
A strong sense of social justice and wanting to have an impact has led Ryan and Emma Hall to pack up their lives and head to Cambodia.

There they will work with disadvantaged young women who have been rescued from exploitation and help them develop job skills to take back to their villages.

Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the world. The majority of young girls they will work with have received no formal education, which makes them highly vulnerable to exploitation, said Emma.

Everything Emma and Ryan own is now in two boxes, two suitcases and some hand luggage as they prepare to take off in two weeks.

The couple are headed to Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh with a one-year contract to work for with not-for-profit organisation Bloom Asia.

“This is what we want for our lives.” said Emma.

“I've always had a heart for social justice and empowering women and as a couple we have always wanted to make a difference and not just ‘get ahead'.”

Emma, 26, and Ryan, 31, have been married for three years. Ryan grew up in Gisborne and the couple have been here visiting family and friends for a month before they head off.

“Most of these girls come from villages where there are huge levels of poverty, and the majority of girls have never been to school,” Emma said.

“To break that cycle it is so important that they have support to heal from their past and give them the skills to build for their future.”

“Like jobs,” adds Ryan.

One of his main projects will be to start up early childhood centres and cafés at the Bloom Asia training centre in Phnom Penh, providing work and a place for the young women to develop employable skills.

Emma and Ryan will share the title of project manager. Emma has been working for Bloom Asia as fundraising manager, from their Queensland office.

They will join the Bloom team to expand their capacity for up to 150 women a day using the centre.

“Even if someone is rescued out of exploitation, what happens is unless they have support, or a job to go to, they are really vulnerable.

“That's why we get excited about this,” said Emma.

“Because the more jobs there are the more women we can help. Every dollar that comes in means more chances to heal and more hope for the women.”

The young women often return to their villages and take their skills with them.

Ryan said this helped normalise women having a job and an education in their villages.
In full: https://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/local- ... -by-women/
Good grief :facepalm:
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:20 pm well meaning foreigners come here to improve the local's plight,....
sure, well-meaning.

just ignore all the men and boys as if they don't suffer the same plight as the girls.

the implication being the males should be second class citizens
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Everybody wants to be God
but few are chosen..
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 pm Everybody wants to be God
but few are chosen..
not me just good will do :evil:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Multipox wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:20 pm well meaning foreigners come here to improve the local's plight,....
sure, well-meaning.

just ignore all the men and boys as if they don't suffer the same plight as the girls.

the implication being the males should be second class citizens
Literally nobody has implied that, except possibly you.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

https://www.bongthom.com/job_detail/mar ... _8424.html
Bloom Asia a Christian international non-profit organisation that empowers young women through vocational training employment programs Cambodia.
annnnnd there it is
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic