Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

Post by Ghostwriter »

IraHayes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 pm There are no unsung hero's now.
True, but they're not even heroes yet, just packing suitcases.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Ok, ok, yes we as foreigners have probably had far more opportunities in life than most of the men and women here in Cambodia. But the girls we are talking about here did not get to go to school, did not learn how to read and to count and divide and to multiply. Yes, raise up the young men along with the women. Of course, develop them all.

Duh....?...sometimes I overestimate the mostly erudite readership here....

My retort to Herr Nerdlinger was his penchant in previous posts for pitching us all in the dirty old sex pat wagon. Recently I experienced the loss of a very important- to me- woman friend. I'm still trying to understand what happened. She had been hiding her sickness for a long time, perhaps she did not understand it, that there were free resources here for her. I know she did not trust in a program of recovery and a regime of medication to make her better. With zero education she did not believe in any system to help her. She gave me a shot at it, at helping her, and then she died. Of course Covid lockdowns hurt in a big way and it's possible she sped things up because she did not want to suffer or be a burden. I don't know.

The story is creepy, I am not sure I will ever know how she came to pass so suddenly. One thing is certain though, that girl hurt, she hurt badly inside. She was extremely bitter about never having the chance to go to school, she told me about that pain only one time, and I never forgot it.

A true East Cambodian beauty (God bless that secret VN bloodline) she had varied experiences in her 40 years. Unfortunately, some dude, a brother, a bong, a "boyfriend" was always pulling the strings. My getting to know her over the last 18 mos. was a lot about humbling and accepting what I could and could not do for her. Every single woman I happen to know even a little bit here has a similar story to my friend's. They do all the work and take all the shit. They get it at home and they get it outside. The key to developing places like here seems to revolve around women getting educated and getting more chances in life.
To those that cry about my oversights in not including our male local friends, do your own honest research on development. It starts with women, not because of virtue signals or liberalism or anything in your retarded fantasies. Development starts with women because they are a great investment. They remember, and they return.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

There are many NGO affiliated with a in-house training shop/outlet here in Phnom Penh.

This one is Bloom, they sell cupcakes. Friends, Romdeng, Daughters of Cambodia, etc all do the same: raise funds and open a business fir training purpose.

I’ve witness hundreds of lives changed through P.S.E, trash picking kids becoming valuable professionals in the F&B or Hospitality industry.

Bloom has been training women (on a much smaller scale) for years.

They have a website
https://bloomasia.org/get-involved/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 pm Flood of replies explaining why these people are assholes in 3..2..1...
No :nono: they are not assholes at all. This couple are leaving New Zealand where daily life is chill and almost normal.
They are idealists with good intentions, but it sounds like they have never been to Cambodia before, which will be challenging to say the least in these times of Covid.
With the best intentions, you can still be not very useful. As someone said above, hope they have learnt some language skills, and something about Khmer social culture.

Oh, and I hope this is not connected to an evangelistic church - redemption from slavery = come to Jesus.
(I have no idea about the origins of their association BloomAsia.)
You talking about my post here ? I'm confused.
I mean yeah? You start out by saying "they're not assholes at all" but then inside the same post you suggest that their motives for doing it might be questionable. It was one of the milder responses for sure, but it wasn't free from that element of suspicion.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

bossho wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:11 pm
My retort to Herr Nerdlinger was his penchant in previous posts for pitching us all in the dirty old sex pat wagon.
Not sure how you managed to read that subtext into my suggestion, but I think my post was vindicated by the fact that I count no less than seven different posters in this thread (so far) who had negative things to say about this couple.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Klangattack wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:56 pm Hopefully their fluent in Khmer ???
They probably forgot about that! Oh fuck someone warn them!!!
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:17 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 pm There are no unsung hero's now.
I'm slightly sympathetic to the cringe of the article because I'm not convinced the couple approached the journalist with that kind of writeup in mind. I say this because the article reminds me of one that appeared about me in my local rag many many years ago when I first moved abroad. The journalist in question never even approached me, they just found out through the grapevine that local lad emigrated, and grabbed my Facebook profile picture and wrote this gushing human interest piece about me that I'd hate to see online cause it made me look like a complete arse even though I'd said and done nothing.
Speaks to the lack of quality in journalism today. Any woke cause will do!. Don't bother with the facts.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Alex wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:37 pm Yet another couple where the husband tries hard to outdo the wife as a practicing feminist. In the footsteps of Prince Harry, the "feminist nurturing dad" according to his wife Meghan. Yawn.
Prince Harry and Justin Trudeau: the Princes of Woke.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I haven't been a CEO member as long as many others here and even less as a mod. However, in the time I've been here I've noticed that whenever there is a topic like this where well meaning foreigners come here to improve the local's plight, it is often met with a dose of scepticism. I guess that stems perhaps from a previous history of sometimes dubious benefit to locals when idealistic, good intention westerners come here and bring their values and ideas on the local culture. And yeah, I've read some examples of poor outcomes on here about that.

So, I reckon it's probably understandable, however, I also get where nerdlinger is coming from in this regard..waiting for the negative posts as that is often the case.

Yet, these assistance initiatives surely can't be all bad, unhelpful or unproductive can they? Some bad apples doesn't mean the whole barrel is bad and not all should be put in the same pigeon hole right? I don't know much about this Bloom Asia outfit but a quick look on their website says a non profit organisation and don't appear to be religious based. [Edit: Nope, correct that, it is a Baptist Church organisation post492117.html#p492117]

I'd be interested to know whether anybody knows anything more about this organisation and the work they've done here in Cambodia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nicolas wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 pm
I’ve witness hundreds of lives changed through P.S.E, trash picking kids becoming valuable professionals in the F&B or Hospitality industry.
PSE is a fantastic organization, it helps families in so many ways. They have had a difficult time recently because of school closures, lockdowns, increasing loss of means among the group they help and the lack of donors passing through town. I respect them most because they have a total program which supports disadvantaged children all the way through education to being very employable. They also recognize that poor families' need their children's contribution to the household too - so they aid the student's families too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic