Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Young Kiwi Couple Coming to Cambodia to Help Disadvantaged Women

Post by Railroad »

How the hell did they get visas? :BangHead:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Klangattack wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:56 pm Hopefully their fluent in Khmer ???
they're*

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

how about exploited men?

I guess they're not important,

or maybe there are no exploited men

or how about anybody who's exploited? that would be novel.

but nobody would clap for that.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Expatriot
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Expatriot »

Women first for sure
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

There are no unsung hero's now.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

bossho wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:20 pm Herr Nerdlinger,
Come and live here among us and get involved with the everyday struggle of it. Why do you insist on this cheeky chip on thy shoulder Herr Nerdlinger? For anyone that has lived here for any amount of time I can't imagine how they would NOT consider social work especially when it comes to young women. We get to see young women bullied and worse all too often, it hurts. We are told to let the Khmer take care of the Khmer and that there is nothing we can do. Anyone who is willing to dive in and go at it with basic competency skills with this huge underserved portion of the population here is welcomed and encouraged. I have yet to meet an expat here in recent times that is solely concerned with messing about with these women and not taking on some kind of teacher role with said women at some point in the relationship. Are they perfect role models ? No. Are these people that are coming to get involved going to get it all right first go? Probably not. People, all fucking people, have huge potentials and tremendous amounts of unpredictable creativity welled up inside of them to be used just in these instances. One of the reasons I suspect some of us DO enjoy living in Cambodia is that we get to dig deep everyday to try to understand and grow into and be a part of our chosen community. Nowhere I have ever lived in the world has shown me so much room for my own development as a human being, and sometimes my dreams get to intersect and click with a local person and its a beautiful thing to behold. Come, Herr Nerdlinger, come now- get off the bench, get a glove on and get in the game, this is your life mate.
I think you may have misunderstood my post. I have no beef with them, I was posting in anticipation of responses like those from Klangattack, IraHayes, Multipox and Anchor Moy.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

It's sounds nicer if you're saving girls, give them the skills so they can work in a garmet factory away from exploration.
They plan to open coffee shops so the girls can take the skills back to the province that will come in handy., But first they need to find a nice apartment for around $500 a month and a Lexus so they can fit in with their crowd.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

IraHayes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 pm There are no unsung hero's now.
I'm slightly sympathetic to the cringe of the article because I'm not convinced the couple approached the journalist with that kind of writeup in mind. I say this because the article reminds me of one that appeared about me in my local rag many many years ago when I first moved abroad. The journalist in question never even approached me, they just found out through the grapevine that local lad emigrated, and grabbed my Facebook profile picture and wrote this gushing human interest piece about me that I'd hate to see online cause it made me look like a complete arse even though I'd said and done nothing.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 pm Flood of replies explaining why these people are assholes in 3..2..1...
No :nono: they are not assholes at all. This couple are leaving New Zealand where daily life is chill and almost normal.
They are idealists with good intentions, but it sounds like they have never been to Cambodia before, which will be challenging to say the least in these times of Covid.
With the best intentions, you can still be not very useful. As someone said above, hope they have learnt some language skills, and something about Khmer social culture.

Oh, and I hope this is not connected to an evangelistic church - redemption from slavery = come to Jesus.
(I have no idea about the origins of their association BloomAsia.)
You talking about my post here ? I'm confused.
nerdlinger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm
bossho wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:20 pm Herr Nerdlinger,
Come and live here among us and get involved with the everyday struggle of it. Why do you insist on this cheeky chip on thy shoulder Herr Nerdlinger? For anyone that has lived here for any amount of time I can't imagine how they would NOT consider social work especially when it comes to young women. We get to see young women bullied and worse all too often, it hurts. We are told to let the Khmer take care of the Khmer and that there is nothing we can do. Anyone who is willing to dive in and go at it with basic competency skills with this huge underserved portion of the population here is welcomed and encouraged. I have yet to meet an expat here in recent times that is solely concerned with messing about with these women and not taking on some kind of teacher role with said women at some point in the relationship. Are they perfect role models ? No. Are these people that are coming to get involved going to get it all right first go? Probably not. People, all fucking people, have huge potentials and tremendous amounts of unpredictable creativity welled up inside of them to be used just in these instances. One of the reasons I suspect some of us DO enjoy living in Cambodia is that we get to dig deep everyday to try to understand and grow into and be a part of our chosen community. Nowhere I have ever lived in the world has shown me so much room for my own development as a human being, and sometimes my dreams get to intersect and click with a local person and its a beautiful thing to behold. Come, Herr Nerdlinger, come now- get off the bench, get a glove on and get in the game, this is your life mate.
I think you may have misunderstood my post. I have no beef with them, I was posting in anticipation of responses like those from Klangattack, IraHayes, Multipox and Anchor Moy.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Yet another couple where the husband tries hard to outdo the wife as a practicing feminist. In the footsteps of Prince Harry, the "feminist nurturing dad" according to his wife Meghan. Yawn.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic