Australia's Covid eradication strategy put to the test

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australia's Covid eradication strategy put to the test

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Former deputy chief doc warns: Australia must reopen borders, prepare for the return of COVID-19

Australia’s former deputy chief medical officer has challenged doctors to smash the “false idol” of COVID-19 eradication and prepare the public for the next critical phase of the pandemic: open international borders and the return of the virus in the community.

In a speech at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeon’s annual scientific meeting, Dr Nick Coatsworth admonished a “hardcore rump of activist doctors” spreading misinformation and undermining vaccine confidence. He condemned a “rotten, but vocal, few” doctors who used social media to abuse their colleagues, administrators and politicians.

His warning came as almost half of the 150 Australians booked on the first repatriation flight from India on Friday were barred from boarding after 42 tested positive for COVID-19, forcing them and their close contacts to remain in the COVID-ravaged nation.

“We once again have a responsibility as a profession to calmly reassure the community that vaccines must be taken up when they are offered, that waiting is not a valid option either individually or for the public health, and that ultimately when we allow COVID-19 back on our shores and it circulates in our community, that we are prepared and comfortable for that to happen,” said the infectious disease physician – one of the Commonwealth government’s most prominent public health spokespeople throughout 2020.

“I know that will make some, maybe most, in this room and online today uncomfortable.”

Dr Coatsworth, in his speech on Thursday morning, said Australians had to come to terms with the fact that Australia cannot ride out the COVID-19 pandemic “in an eliminationist bunker”.

“It is clear we will not have our borders closed indefinitely. We will not have quarantine stations in perpetuity whilst we aim for the false idol of eradication,” said Dr Coatsworth, speaking in a personal capacity.

“At a point in the future when a significant majority of our community is vaccinated, there will be pressure to open our borders. We must not resist that. In fact, when the time is right, we should be leading the calls for it.”

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 57s1u.html
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Australia's Covid eradication strategy put to the test

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

One medical expert says this and another says that at this point the government just picks and chooses who they want to listen to.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Great paper, he’s right, Australians are safe in a tight closed bunker. Obviously the country will need to open back at some point, the sooner they get massively vaccinated, the better prepared they will be for the coming wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Obviously, if Australia is at 100% vaccination, then suddenly opening up the country won’t cause any spikes. Maybe - few months to at most a year away.

How much pain is it suffering from it’s self-isolation?

Any Aussies know?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 pm Great paper, he’s right, Australians are safe in a tight closed bunker. Obviously the country will need to open back at some point, the sooner they get massively vaccinated, the better prepared they will be for the coming wave.

Yes, you'd think it's entirely logical..

Yet again a few weeks ago the Health minister was saying that even if 100% of the population was vaxed, there may still be a case for NOT opening borders.

And more recently you had our PM replying to a question as to when borders will reopen, he said “All I know is once you let (COVID-19) back in again, you cannot get it out. You’ve crossed that threshold. We continue to roll out the vaccination programme, over the course of this year, and in the meantime, I intend to be cautious, it’s in my nature," he added.

Then again, an election is due by 2022 and if I was a betting man, I'd say there will be an early election largely based on the premise of how well they've managed covid and made Australians safe and that will get them in again. Then after that, the hubris will change to 'its time to open up the borders..'

Sorry cynicism dial turned up to Image
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The vax rate is very low there, Scummo probably thinks it is The Mark of the Beast given his proclivity for speaking in tongues.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 pm Obviously, if Australia is at 100% vaccination, then suddenly opening up the country won’t cause any spikes. Maybe - few months to at most a year away.

How much pain is it suffering from it’s self-isolation?

Any Aussies know?
it sucks!
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

nemo wrote:The vax rate is very low there, Scummo probably thinks it is The Mark of the Beast given his proclivity for speaking in tongues.
4.4% of the Australian population is actually fully vaccinated. That’s not much.

xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 pm
nemo wrote:The vax rate is very low there, Scummo probably thinks it is The Mark of the Beast given his proclivity for speaking in tongues.
4.4% of the Australian population is actually fully vaccinated. That’s not much.

Yes that's because of the high cost in logistically bringing the vaccine all the way to Australia the only way big Pharma can make money on selling vaccines to Australians is if they are produced in Australia.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Fact is, Oz is sitting pretty and is in a position to continue to choose the best commonsense/scientifically- guided response with great success.
- As it always has. Look at the evidence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic