Myanmar cash crisis taking heavy toll

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Myanmar cash crisis taking heavy toll

Post by truffledog »

Intereresting read:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/21162 ... heavy-toll

How long before the system collapses in Myanmar ? Could the same happen in Cambodia too?
work is for people who cant find truffles
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Myanmar cash crisis taking heavy toll

Post by xandreu »

truffledog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:42 pm Intereresting read:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/21162 ... heavy-toll

How long before the system collapses in Myanmar ? Could the same happen in Cambodia too?
The main difference being that Myanmar has been embroiled in a state of civil war for the past 100 day, with one of the main aims of the protestors being to cause as much mayhem to the country and economy as possible, so as to make it practically ungovernable.

Looks to me as if it might be working.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Interestingly no mention of Wave money, Myanmar's equivalent of Wing in Cambodia (and set up by the same gent who set up Wing here in 2007. with volumes that make Wing here look like a peanut vs a coconut due to the population dynamic). They are going great guns, the same as Wing here during lockdown being the one reliable source of cash in pretty much every commune.

Bitcoin taking over the world? No chance just yet, mobile money has some serious legs on it & more disruptive, yet complementary, to banks than any crypto ... and I hold crypto, I'm not a nay-sayer :)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

When things go down the toilet, cash is king.

For me keeping a cash reserve of a few months on hand is just like the 3-6 month emergency fund in case of job loss.

However Myanmar is different. Sadly things will not return to normal in a few weeks. Country is probably descending into civil war, or at least into a state of persistent rebellion.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Wait until we have another Carrington Event. I wonder what happens to digital currency then.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic