Where to now?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Where to now?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I think Maluku will be next - whenever that might be. Pic Google.

The inveterate wanderer has lost that title he/she once used to distinguish themselves from other people. And for some, that loss challenges the very foundation to their identity and who they are. What is it now for those who see themselves as travelers in a time when they can’t travel?

For the traveler, being forced into western living this long is difficult. No, it's fucking hard! The day to day sterility flies in the face of the banzai-like unpredictable chaos we’d prefer to immerse ourselves in at any given moment when we’re - out there. While the certainty of a bus appearing within a minute of its scheduled arrival time might be comforting for those heading into the office in their resolutely starched white collars each morning, for many of us, that daily scene chills the blood.

Then there’s the slimy handshakes and accompanying nosiness masquerading as social lubrication at gatherings, and a slew of other inevitable social degradations that drain the spirit and torments the soul of those who much prefer an existence devoid of the expectations of others. Being trapped among those who toe the line of societal norms and presumption can be suffocating at best. Get me out of here!

The fact is I’d give anything right now for a twenty cent over charge on my soto ayam, I’d welcome the thunderous 4am calls to prayer, I’d tolerate my neighbor’s rubbish burning plumes of smoke that billow into my bedroom, the noisy kids and their fire crackers, or a myriad of other annoyances that come with the life I once had - out there. And I promise never to complain about them again.

The first twelve months of isolation from the bigger world were almost bearable with a few hobbies or interests nursing the restlessness briefly. But these pastimes were only ever going to be a temporary treatment or diversion, that innate need to explore was never going to be restrained for long. So what now for the traveler with no light at the end of a seemingly endless tunnel and an escalating desire to get away - therapy? Booze?

Well, I’m not exactly sure what that answer is - but I know it’s really fucking frustrating. For the moment some desire to travel is satiated by the planning of the next trip, as well expat or travel forums, books, or chatting with friends who find themselves faced with the same dilemma. But whatever the eventual outcome of the virus and its forced hiatus from the road, you can be sure when the time does come to sling the pack, I’ll be mindful not to take the lifestyle of being a traveler for granted again.
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Where to now?

Post by Deefer »

It looks like the place has already been discovered.
"Maluku Islands Tourism: Tripadvisor has 6,895 reviews of Maluku Islands"
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

looks suspiciously like a volcano there, having lived through Pinatubo 1991 in Angeles NEVER shall I live within Kooee of a volcano dead or not !!
A very unpleasant experience
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Where to now indeed. I usually spend the winter in India that is almost certainly out this year. The few countries open for Brits in Europe will be expensive this summer flights have already risen in price and I expect hotels will also raise prices.

I am taking it a week at a time and seeing what countries have low infections and allow us vaccinated people in. One idea I have had for years is to fly to Vancouver and then cycle (electric for added help) all down the coast of Oregon and Washington. I walked down the Big Sur in the mid 90s started in Carmel but only got as far as Lucia so maybe I may try that again.

I have always fancied Mexico so I am watching events there as well. Maybe I will end up having a look at Ireland where I have never been.
One things for sure I will never take travelling and roaming around for granted anymore. :beer1:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Maluku is great, but unless you get a lenghty visa, you will have to get out of the country every now and then to renew it (every 6 months for a Sosial- Budaya) , which is costly from this particular area + the x4 extensions visa of 1 month each starting from the 3 rd month which are cheap, but takes 2 to 3 days to process, if you do it by yourself.

But, good agents can make your passport travel and get the stamps while you're working your tan, so, much less hassle. The price range is usually just slightly cheaper than the "travel yourself"option, so no bargain there except not having to physically travel.

That's the problem with Indonesia, the more you go deep inside it, the less time you get to enjoy it before checking out...Maybe some new forms of convenient visa will emerge,
there's some hope.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:36 pm Maluku is great, but unless you get a lenghty visa, you will have to get out of the country every now and then to renew it (every 6 months for a Sosial- Budaya) , which is costly from this particular area + the x4 extensions visa of 1 month each starting from the 3 rd month which are cheap, but takes 2 to 3 days to process, if you do it by yourself.

But, good agents can make your passport travel and get the stamps while you're working your tan, so, much less hassle. The price range is usually just slightly cheaper than the "travel yourself"option, so no bargain there except not having to physically travel.

That's the problem with Indonesia, the more you go deep inside it, the less time you get to enjoy it before checking out...Maybe some new forms of convenient visa will emerge,
there's some hope.
Thanks. I've had a number of SosBuds over the years, as well as boat business in Lombok etc, and it wouldn't be my first trip to Maluku/Banda.... There's a five year Digital Nomad visa being launched some time in the near future apparently, but you'll need $150 000 in a Indo bank for that, I believe. I also vaguely recall the SosBuds undergoing change as well with the monthly trip to immigration after the initial 60 days being scampered - but I may be wrong.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Being trapped among those who toe the line of societal norms and presumption can be suffocating at best. Get me out of here!
Huh?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Big Daikon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm
Being trapped among those who toe the line of societal norms and presumption can be suffocating at best. Get me out of here!
Huh?
Having the same discussions with people at social gatherings that invariably follow the "what's your occupation, where you do live, who do you know...etc" - the predictable social wank that others presume you're interested in talking about.

I agree, I've explained myself incredibly well in parts of the above. :BangHead:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm For the traveler, being forced into western living this long is difficult. Get me out of here!
Oooh i feel you, indeed

Yeah i know, it's in French. You'll get it.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm
Huh?
Having the same discussions with people at social gatherings that invariably follow the "what's your occupation, where you do live, who do you know...etc" - the predictable social wank that others presume you're interested in talking about.

I agree, I've explained myself incredibly well in parts of the above. :BangHead:
I was huh-ing about people who feel suffocated by life in their home countries. Other countries also have rules and stuff.

(I have been become a bit of a travelbug in recent years as well.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic