Where to now?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Where to now?

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Anty wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 am I simply cannot stand to stay any longer so have given up on SEA and am off to Mexico in July. From there maybe on to other places further south.

I never saw myself leaving Asia so soon (well, it has been 20 years) but the situation seems hopeless and Im not getting any younger. Plus who knows maybe I can score a swarthy boy toy named Enrique?
Brazil has a very enjoyable lifestyle I lived there for 2 years and miss it dearly
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 am Next stop UK, for 2 months to get vaxxed up, see a few people, do some shopping etc.
I'm also heading back to the UK. The reason was primarily to get vaccinated and then return to Cambodia, but the more I think about it, the more excited I am at returning to some sort of normality, having been here in the KOW for several years now. I can't stop thinking of the simple things like being able to cross a road without the need to look when the man turns green, or easily ordering whatever I want off Amazon and having it delivered the same day... I'm starting to question if I'm done with Cambodia forever.

I wonder how easy it will be to get the vaccine, considering I no longer have a permanent address there and I'm not registered with a doctor?
If you haven't been back for a while, I cannot stress to you enough how fast the cars move, even down small side streets. I was shocked first time back, and still have to keep my wits about me. Be very careful, they don't want to slow down and will hurl much abuse if they nearly run you down.

As for the vaccine, here you go.
Do you know you NHS number? If not you can just fill in your name.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Dunderhead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 am Anyone attempting to leave the UK without a good reason, ( "I want to go to Mexico" will not qualify) faces a 5000 pound fine.
Luckily they don't care to really enforce that one
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Australian Travel and Exemption Support is a Facebook group I'm a member of which assists those wanting to get in or out of Australia by sharing information on things like what type of documents best support certain applications, success stories, commiserations, procedure etc.
I just read of a person having completed their twenty second application across three different categories to be notified she was unsuccessful - twenty two applications!

I believe if Australians are fully vaccinated and sign a declaration they'll pay their quarantine costs upon return, we should be allowed to travel. I'm starting to think this restriction on travel is now somewhat less about the virus and more about self serving politicians as playing hard ball on closed borders has recently proven to be an election winner (by vast landslides) in some states - the government riding that pony for as long as they can..

I could also just be a pissed off traveler.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:35 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 am Next stop UK, for 2 months to get vaxxed up, see a few people, do some shopping etc.
I'm also heading back to the UK. The reason was primarily to get vaccinated and then return to Cambodia, but the more I think about it, the more excited I am at returning to some sort of normality, having been here in the KOW for several years now. I can't stop thinking of the simple things like being able to cross a road without the need to look when the man turns green, or easily ordering whatever I want off Amazon and having it delivered the same day... I'm starting to question if I'm done with Cambodia forever.

I wonder how easy it will be to get the vaccine, considering I no longer have a permanent address there and I'm not registered with a doctor?
If you haven't been back for a while, I cannot stress to you enough how fast the cars move, even down small side streets. I was shocked first time back, and still have to keep my wits about me. Be very careful, they don't want to slow down and will hurl much abuse if they nearly run you down.

As for the vaccine, here you go.
Do you know you NHS number? If not you can just fill in your name.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/
[/quote

Islington has a 20mph speed limit
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:19 pm I'm starting to think this restriction on travel is now somewhat less about the virus and more about self serving politicians as playing hard ball on closed borders has recently proven to be an election winner (by vast landslides) in some states - the government riding that pony for as long as they can..
That's it. 'The next Australian federal election will be held in or before 2022'. It worked for QLD. Keep ppl safe..

And after they get in at the next (maybe earlier) election where they're set for another 3 yrs, then, they'll open up dem borders and say 'look how good we are at managing all this' :beer3:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:19 pm Australian Travel and Exemption Support is a Facebook group I'm a member of which assists those wanting to get in or out of Australia by sharing information on things like what type of documents best support certain applications, success stories, commiserations, procedure etc.
I just read of a person having completed their twenty second application across three different categories to be notified she was unsuccessful - twenty two applications!

I believe if Australians are fully vaccinated and sign a declaration they'll pay their quarantine costs upon return, we should be allowed to travel. I'm starting to think this restriction on travel is now somewhat less about the virus and more about self serving politicians as playing hard ball on closed borders has recently proven to be an election winner (by vast landslides) in some states - the government riding that pony for as long as they can..

Are you allowed out ( to leave Australia) or not ?
My friend who is in the Caribbean now (and loves to travel) is planning to return to West Australia in the coming months to visit family, do you think this is a trap ? ie, Will they let you leave Australia if you fly in to see your kids ?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:31 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:19 pm Australian Travel and Exemption Support is a Facebook group I'm a member of which assists those wanting to get in or out of Australia by sharing information on things like what type of documents best support certain applications, success stories, commiserations, procedure etc.

Are you allowed out ( to leave Australia) or not ?
My friend who is in the Caribbean now (and loves to travel) is planning to return to West Australia in the coming months to visit family, do you think this is a trap ? ie, Will they let you leave Australia if you fly in to see your kids ?
Australian borders are closed! Australians are not allowed to leave the country unless granted an exemption for business, compassionate or medical grounds and a few other categories. If your friend returns to Australia to see his kids and wishes to leave again simply for travel reasons he won't get out, or he'll have to have a very compelling reason to do so.
Australian Government Department of Home Affairs
If you are seeking exemption from Australia’s outbound travel restrictions on the basis that you are leaving Australia for three months or longer, your proposed travel must be for a compelling reason and you must provide evidence to support your claims.

This evidence must be provided in the form of a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration.

The Statutory Declaration must state you are making an application for travel exemption on the basis that you intend to be absent from Australia for more than three months.

Evidence may include:
confirmed flight itinerary, with return date of at least three months after departure date
confirmation of leave from employment for three months
enrolment confirmation for study
a doctor’s certificate to support your claim you are travelling in order to provide care for sick family members
any other matter you wish to raise in support of your request for exemption.

Note: A person who makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence – refer to section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.
Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided, or is not provided in a Statutory Declaration.
The Australian Border Force will monitor compliance with periods of declared travel.
From my observations the majority of applications are denied, even with very legitimate reasons for leaving such as dying parents. My advice to you friend would be not to return unless he can provide a mountain of evidence that his need or reasons for leaving Australia again are urgent, or at the least very compelling.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

I am interested to hear the reports. A decade and change back in time my housemate here in Cambodia extolled the virtues of Maluku and I never forgot those tales. He had spent parts of 7 or 8 years there in an academic pursuit. According to him, Javanese apparently were not welcome, even in the port of Ambon, and locals would only accept a Javanese as a guest if they had murdered another Javanese and were looking to hide out.

True or not Maluku seems like a wild part of the world within a wild region and if you are up for it I think it will deliver.

Oh, same fella had tattoos that he said were mandatory for travel amongst certain tribes in the hills, that I did not think he was kidding about. He swore by that Ambon bit too.

Since you have experience there, how safe is it wandering about with a camera etc in the hills? Are head hunters active? Any tales to tell?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

bossho wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:59 pm I am interested to hear the reports. A decade and change back in time my housemate here in Cambodia extolled the virtues of Maluku and I never forgot those tales. He had spent parts of 7 or 8 years there in an academic pursuit. According to him, Javanese apparently were not welcome, even in the port of Ambon, and locals would only accept a Javanese as a guest if they had murdered another Javanese and were looking to hide out.

True or not Maluku seems like a wild part of the world within a wild region and if you are up for it I think it will deliver.

Oh, same fella had tattoos that he said were mandatory for travel amongst certain tribes in the hills, that I did not think he was kidding about. He swore by that Ambon bit too.

Since you have experience there, how safe is it wandering about with a camera etc in the hills? Are head hunters active? Any tales to tell?
I'm no anthropologist, but I'm not sure there has been any head hunting through the islands since the Dutch arrived a few hundred years ago, and I don't know anything about a hatred for the Javanese. My tales of the area are limited to a seeing few remnants of Dutch history, a Pelni boat ride, some exquisite snorkeling in pristine waters and a few Bintangs. Oh, there was that one weird chick from Hungary. Sorry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic