Where to now?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Where to now?

Post by nerdlinger »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:34 pm I was huh-ing about people who feel suffocated by life in their home countries. Other countries also have rules and stuff.

(I have been become a bit of a travelbug in recent years as well.)
Douglas Adams wrote:Every being in the universe is tied to his birthplace by tiny invisible force tendrils composed of little quantum packets of guilt. If you travel far from your birthplace, these tendrils get stretched and distorted. This compares with an ancient Arcturan Proverb “How ever fast the body travels, the soul travels at the speed of an Arcturan Mega-Camel.” This would mean, in these days of hyperspace and Improbability Drive, that most people’s souls are wandering unprotected in deep space in a state of some confusion; and this would account for a lot of things. Similarly, if your birthplace is actually destroyed, or in Arthur Dent’s case demolished - ostensibly to make way for a new hyperspace bypass - then these tendrils are severed and flap about at random. There are no people to be fed or whales to be saved; there is no washing up to be done.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Next stop UK, for 2 months to get vaxxed up, see a few people, do some shopping etc.

Then Mexico for a month, thereafter south. I did plan Costa Rica, Panama and then Colombia, but with PCR tests required for all three, I might just head for Colombia. Total trip plan of 4-6 months, and perhaps a lot more.

I am keeping a very close eye on infection and vax rates for Mexico etc, and some places are doing much better than others. I wouldn't even be considering making this trip so early this year had Cambodia not deteriorated recently.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Colombia is a little sketchy at the moment mate I visited in 2008 and its top 3 country in world for beautiful woman IMO
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am Colombia is a little sketchy at the moment mate I visited in 2008 and its top 3 country in world for beautiful woman IMO
Yeah, Colombia got slammed by Covid, and their vax rates are still very low. This is surprising given it's #22 global ranking in healthcare and the probably the best in South America. They have also had some very draconian lockdowns, so I need to be very careful not to get trapped in an apartment in Medellin because of a 4th wave.

Mexico is huge and varied, so if I spent 3 months there and got my Spanish up to speed, that would be ok with me.

Colombia has beautiful women? I never entered my consideration factors at all...

Last edited by Doc67 on Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 am Next stop UK, for 2 months to get vaxxed up, see a few people, do some shopping etc.
I'm also heading back to the UK. The reason was primarily to get vaccinated and then return to Cambodia, but the more I think about it, the more excited I am at returning to some sort of normality, having been here in the KOW for several years now. I can't stop thinking of the simple things like being able to cross a road without the need to look when the man turns green, or easily ordering whatever I want off Amazon and having it delivered the same day... I'm starting to question if I'm done with Cambodia forever.

I wonder how easy it will be to get the vaccine, considering I no longer have a permanent address there and I'm not registered with a doctor?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I'm envious of those who live in a country allowing you to leave (and return). There is an exemption available for Australians to travel if departing longer than three months, however it's the returning that's the issue. If one was to find themselves in urgent need of returning for whatever reason, you're likely to find yourself being unable to as there are very small quotas of Australian returnees being accepted by the states.

Oh to be sunning oneself in Central America.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Anyone attempting to leave the UK without a good reason, ( "I want to go to Mexico" will not qualify) faces a 5000 pound fine.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Not from 17 May
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

I simply cannot stand to stay any longer so have given up on SEA and am off to Mexico in July. From there maybe on to other places further south.

I never saw myself leaving Asia so soon (well, it has been 20 years) but the situation seems hopeless and Im not getting any younger. Plus who knows maybe I can score a swarthy boy toy named Enrique?
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am Colombia is a little sketchy at the moment mate I visited in 2008 and its top 3 country in world for beautiful woman IMO
Yeah, Colombia got slammed by Covid, and their vax rates are still very low. This is surprising given it's #22 global ranking in healthcare and the probably the best in South America. They have also had some very draconian lockdowns, so I need to be very careful not to get trapped in an apartment in Medellin because of a 4th wave.

Mexico is huge and varied, so if I spent 3 months there and got my Spanish up to speed, that would be ok with me.

Colombia has beautiful women? I never entered my consideration factors at all...

I was referring to the deadly crackdown on the tax reform protesters not Covid
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic