Anyone get the Thailand STV?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Anyone get the Thailand STV?

Post by Multipox »

Thailand is lowering some requirements but increasing others.

The STV - special tourist visa, allows you to get 3 months in the kingdom and renew it for another 3.

Thailand is no longer requiring a "fit-to-fly" certificate before arriving at the airport. I think this means Thailand no longer requires a covid test document 72 hours before flying, but I don't know what an airline will require.

You must have 100,000 USD health insurance good for the 3-month visa period. Thai sites are offering this. My rough estimate so far comes to 70 USD a month.

They require all incoming people to spend 14 days in quarantine at an ASQ hotel. you get meals and testing every day. the cheapest option comes to around 800 USD for the 14 day period.

Then you can pick your own hotel. Some hostels are offering beds for 3 USD.

But the Thais require you give them "lodging confirmation" for the entire 3-month period of the visa. If you have to book and pay 90 days in advance, you cannot travel around Thailand or even change hotels. Unless, perhaps you get multiple reservations for different time periods. If you find you don't like a hotel, this could be a problem if you are locked into an agreement.

Hotel reservations would have to be coordinated with flight schedules.

This seems like the Thais are requiring tourists to line up a lot of ducks in a row. What if you have to show these documents in order to get the STV, but the visa application is rejected. You are therefore out any reservation money and any other expenses.

Lodging confirmation seems to be the anomaly here, since everyone has to sleep somewhere. It appears to be an anti-hippy rule they threw in so they could continue their steady climb to become the Switzerland of Asia.

Has anyone done this and can clarify this?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anyone get the Thailand STV?

Post by canucklhead »

Maybe try a Thai forum.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The STV is already being phased out, careful if you arrive late and still plan to extend in-country.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I wonder if they might rethink making the terms of the longer term tourist visas less onerous in order to kick start tourism when travel restarts. I know numerous people who were negatively affected by the METV changes a couple of years ago and they ended up spending less time and money in Thailand as a result, taking their money to neighbours such as Bali to name one. Not always easy to win back previously repeat custom you've succeeded in pissing off over time.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Alex wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 pm The STV is already being phased out, careful if you arrive late and still plan to extend in-country.
a post on thaivisa says it is ending 30 September

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121672 ... fications/

the program may have a sunset clause, but that does not mean it will not be renewed if it brings in more revenue
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

For a moment when I saw this thread I thought there’s a misspelling Thailand STD 😂
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

yong wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am For a moment when I saw this thread I thought there’s a misspelling Thailand STD 😂
easy there, partner.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

nope just the Thailand STD.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Only 2 members here like Thailand.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Multipox wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 am
Alex wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 pm The STV is already being phased out, careful if you arrive late and still plan to extend in-country.
a post on thaivisa says it is ending 30 September

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121672 ... fications/

the program may have a sunset clause, but that does not mean it will not be renewed if it brings in more revenue
See I guess that's the thing - the STV hasn't been a huge success for a variety of reasons. I don't think it will be renewed in its current form, but they might dream up something else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic