Australian Navy in 'hot water' controversy over 'twerking' dance troupe commissioning of new ship (videos)

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australian Navy in 'hot water' controversy over 'twerking' dance troupe commissioning of new ship (videos)

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Interesting or Inappropriate? Dancers 'twerk' during naval ship launch in Australia, triggers debate online

Sydney: A video from Australia went viral that has triggered a debate online about whether it is inappropriate or not. The Royal Australian Navy hired a dance troupe called 101 Doll Squadron to do a performance on commissioning ceremony of a new naval ship.

The performance was something that the audience was not expecting. It consisted of a lot of 'twerking'. Instantly, the video was captured on camera and shared on various social media platforms.

Take a look.

Looking at the performance, one might remember how this very dance style went viral many years back and they brought it back in vogue, for sure. The performance was followed by brass band performances, speeches, and the march past. Certainly, the dance stood out in a rather interesting way. This peppy addition to the programme caught the internet's attention for obvious reasons. It garnered 3,09,000 views on the microblogging site and counting.

However, the attention it received was divided. Several people on the internet deemed it 'inappropriate' as well as commented on the girls' clothing. "One does not simply....twerk," one user said.

Full: https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buzz/a ... 0'twerking'.

And now for Ozzy Man's review on it..

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Australian Navy in 'hot water' controversy over 'twerking' dance troupe commissioning of new ship (videos)

Post by Ghostwriter »

I guess people didn't have twitter these last centuries, wooden tits weren't an issue
ImageImageImageImage
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Australian Navy in 'hot water' controversy over 'twerking' dance troupe commissioning of new ship (videos)

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A well deserved turkey for the 'Pride of the Chilean Navy' - the torture and death ship Esmeralda

disgracefully docked at an RAN naval wharf
I toured this ship as a 7 year kid in NZ and was in awe.
Now i am amongst the many who would never again set a foot upon its blood stained decks.

Nevertheless, this forever cursed ship's terrible history and the Chilean Navy's continued denial of that, does not stop the local Catholic Bishop rushing aboard to bless this foul Devil's vessel as soon as it touches Australian shores on its fairly regular "good will" visits.

However it seems some people are more stressed about bubble butts and plastic tits gracing our sailor's docks these days.
(ffs, shoot me please)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

And that video differs from a standard Korean Pop Dance Video how?

Am I getting so old that I can no longer tell the difference between trendy and inappropriate?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Year 1491 - Sculpture on a wooden house, just in front of the region's cathedral. Inquisition. Not a peep from the church for 500+ years
Year 2021 - Hard boiled navy Australians, offended by...a twerk. Democracy. Instant retaliation
We live in truly weird times indeed
What would Jim say ?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Excerpt from original link:
Several politicians heavily criticized the dance as well. According to BBC, a senator named Jacqui Lambie called it an 'absolute shocker' and did not expect the naval leadership to make such a call. "Good on these young ladies for getting out there, but I tell you, being half-clothed outside a warship is probably inappropriate," she said.
I don't know but I suspect the Navy folk themselves probably weren't offended by the twerking troupe...more likely, once it got out via Twitter, do gooders like the politician above consider it 'inappropriate' for the armed services.

Didn't stop Cher in her 'barely there' outfit here:

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Quite inspiring indeed, a visionary one.
ImageImage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic