Medication Advice - Co-codamol

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Medication Advice - Co-codamol

Post by AndyKK »

Unfortunately I knew of someone close to the family, who got an addiction to Codeine and paracetamol, also chewed on some cold lozenges at the same time.
I was young at the time and didn't really understand much about drug related addictions. But sure enough he died of a related illness to his addiction.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Interestingly, Codeine and similar meds are on the ‘Do not take’ list for me, in connection with the previous cancer and associated issues, and subsequent surgery. Yet, I was ok with Morphine for a short time during post surgery, but that period of time was managed by the consultant. (Which is such a shame as morphine is wonderful.....). Maybe that is the issue- it’s harder on the system longer term if not monitored, and Codeine-based being a little less stringently controlled in some cases.

A good friend of mine is a very senior lecturer in Pharmacology, and he’s my go to when I have doubts about local prescriptions. (My Heisenberg) Especially for the kids. He’s corrected a few meds based on dose strength for the kids before- very adult doses issued for kids under 6!
There’s not the same level of caution, and cross referencing drug interaction and patient history in the kingdom as there is elsewhere.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 am
A good friend of mine is a very senior lecturer in Pharmacology, and he’s my go to when I have doubts about local prescriptions. (My Heisenberg) Especially for the kids. He’s corrected a few meds based on dose strength for the kids before- very adult doses issued for kids under 6!
There’s not the same level of caution, and cross referencing drug interaction and patient history in the kingdom as there is elsewhere.
Or just check out dosages, interactions etc on drugs.com
That's what the medics do.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 pm Esteemed CEO members, I won't bore you with the details, but I've happened upon some mischief and torn two ligaments in my shoulder. After resisting prescription pain meds initially and relying on paracetamol and anti-inflammatory medicine I could buy over the counter, the pain is such that I needed something a bit stronger. My doctor has prescribed 100 Co-codamol pills with one or two to be taken four times a day when needed. There is a chuffing big warning on the side of the box "CAN CAUSE ADDICTION - CONTAINS OPIOID". Have any other members used Co-codamol and have they had any issues as a result please? Many thanks in advance.
Speaking as a doctor, my advice is that you sell the co-codamol down the pub (highly sought after) and spend the money on alcohol for all your pain relief needs. Supplement with paracetamol during sober periods.

Hope this helps...
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

It is your decision to get addicted or not.

Just take a drug long enough to solve the problem then stop.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I've used co-codamol twice, both times due to dental pain whilst waiting for a root canal to be done. Its very effective at pain relief, but never even thought about using it once the pain had gone, not sure why you would unless you had constant pain a lot of the time

The last time I took it was 2019 when I took it for 4 days. There was no mention at all on the instructions ( read them twice to make sure) about no alcohol whilst taking it ?, & drinking didn't have any noticeable side affects at all ?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Do not drink alcohol with codeine.

The most dangerous side effect is called "resporatory depression", where you breath becomes shallower and shallower and your body receives reduced oxygen which then harms your organs.

Separately, Doing this for a sustained period of time will greatly increase chances or liver/kidney damage.

If for some reason you do take the two together make sure you DO NOT DRIVE.

I think any competent doctor will tell you not to drink alcohol when taking codeine.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Remember, codeine is a pro-drug. CYP2D6 converts it to the active metabolite morphine, mostly in the liver. About 5-15% gets excreted in the urine unchanged. Thus having a half life of about 2.5-4hr.

If you are an ultra fast CYP metabolizer, a lot more morphine comes out faster, with bigger effects. If you have bad kidneys, it circulates around longer. And because the active metabolite is morphine, there’s an inherent biphasic respiratory depression. Remember that narcotics hit the different opioid receptors differently, with different effects.

What does all this mean? Effects will be different for everyone. Some will be fast metabolizes, some have kidney or liver impairment. Alcohol is really bad with all narcotics. So are large amounts of Tylenol.

Proceed with caution.

And good luck!
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I find it very strange that the information leaflet with the box of co-codamol I bought from the chemist (in the UK) had no mention of avoiding alcohol when taking it ?

No idea why that would be
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I hate codeine, it's so hard on your gut. Ibuprofen is my preferred painkiller.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic