Project: Free Cambodian moto guide

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Project: Free Cambodian moto guide

Post by AE86 »

Hello everyone,

To introduce myself "formally", my name is Akira and I am a 28 year old "veteran" of motorcycles. I have been riding motorcycles and rebuilding engines since age 11 and have an unhealthy obsession with machinery in general. "Professionally", I have worked in the automotive industry (mechanic, shop foreman, then owner of a small tuning shop) until 4 years ago when I made a move to Cambodia where I stayed until late 2013. I live in and still reside outside Cambodia but make frequent trips back because my wife is from Prey Veng and lots of the family is in Phnom Penh.

During my stay I encountered a sea of confusion regarding the motoring world of Cambodia and even went through a lot of rocky trials with encounters of fake parts, complete incompetence, being ripped off, learning how things operate here, crashing, etc etc. Needless to say, I wasn't terribly thrilled about the prospect of owning anything here and to be frank, even as a mechanic I still have trepidation regarding motos in general in the kingdom.

But one thing I've been considering is to try and share what I do know about mechanics and "tips" to having a moto in Cambodia in general, as well as maintenance and DIY repairs. All too often I see bad advice being passed around and offered amongst the expat (and Khmer) community, and that is something I would like to help change, if at all possible.

So in essence, I am interested in composing a basic free guide for the Cambodian expat community on moto ownership in Cambodia on the aspects of ownership and maintenance on motos to help take out the apprehension of what can be a very useful and also enjoyable experience of using a two wheelers as one's transportation.

This will be a work in progress and feedback from the community is always welcome in order to provide a better more useful guide as things progress.

So please, any question you have about motos (whether generic, maintenance, repair/troubleshooting, purchasing, etc.) please ask here, PM me, or if you are not a regular poster, email me @ [email protected]

I look forward to this upcoming project as I hope it can help those seeking moto advice and answers.

AE86 (Akira S.)
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Project: Free Cambodian moto guide

Post by StroppyChops »

Akira has already given me invaluable advice on the tuktuks and I'd encourage anyone else to take him up on his offer. His level of experience and knowledge is a very rare resource here in the Kingdom, and that's a very generous offer.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Cheers for the kind words, but I want to assure people that I'm not alone in what I know. There are plenty of knowledgable people out there, even here. I'm just one crazy enough to try putting what little I know into writing...

Either or:

Here is the general outline I have for the guide. Please feel free to add anything or suggest anything you might want to see or have questions about.

Basic walkthrough of riding a motorcycle:

Controls

Techniques

Basics of what is available

Types of motos: Automatic, Semi Automatic & Manual

Manufacturers and models available

General misc information (country of origin and manufacture, targeted theft bikes, safety features, etc.)

Basics of ownership

Explanation of documents involved with moto ownership

Registering a new bike

Registering a newly imported bike (used)

Purchasing process (ownership transfer)

Selling process

Basics of pre-purchase inspection

Basics of maintenance and repair

Maintenance intervals and explanations

Checking oil

Light bulb replacement

Brake adjustment

Front and Rear

Filling up tires and determining pressure

Adjusting the clutch

Adjusting the carburetor

Adjusting the chain

Spark plug replacement

EDIT Additions:

Road tax (and to add, different forms of tax such as import tax, VAT, etc.)

Difference between old and new license plates

Ownership card transfer
Last edited by AE86 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Changing an owner card?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Great idea Akira.

Perhaps you could eventually make a Table of Contents to deal with the various categories of information that may be asked. Like:
How to buy? Legalities, etc.
Regular Maintenance (in the tropics). How often? etc.
Buying parts, etc.

Me, I don't have a moto, but still it's a great idea.

Some questions from another recent post:
What do I need to know before I buy a moto here?

Particularly:
- What paperwork is required?
- What do I need for the transaction to be legit?
- Any special requirements for registration?

& any other tips.

Edit/update: Well having just read your latest post, it looks like you've already got a plan in place.

Good luck! :beer3:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Road tax - especially the difference between old and new plates
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Good ones and suggestions, added that to the outline post.

Thank you
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Dealing with bolie who pull you in for no tax, even though you have old plates!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I don't know how to ride that big motorbike. I only can ride the scooter.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:I don't know how to ride that big motorbike. I only can ride the scooter.
Samouth, can you place both feet solidly on the ground when you sit on a big bike? If not, you might want to think about finding another dream - it's not safe on the road otherwise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic