What does true love look like?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

What does true love look like?

Post by StroppyChops »

Happy Easter, heathens!

Stay safe, be good to each other.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: What does true love look like?

Post by Samouth »

Amen. He saved us. Happy Easter
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Looks like someone forgot the "safe word"
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I don't see what the big deal was. Crucifixion was a very common occurrence back in Jesus' day. Why was his special? Because his was voluntary? It seems quite easy to be killed. Let's have a Jesus come down and live to be age 87 without ever having to compromise any of his principles like most humans have at times just to see how he deals with the daily grind of modern life. He can turn the other cheek all he wants. What if Jesus had a daughter and ISIS captured her. Would he turn her other cheek too or would he give her assailants a right good thrashing?

People have been similarly tortured, beaten and killed in barbaric fashion since day one. Check out some Syria/ISIS videos on youtube...it's still happening now. Some 140 students were brutally and mercilessly executed in Kenya a few days ago. I don't need a savior to show me how to be meekly slaughtered like a lamb and how that is all well and good and part of some divine plan.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

He is Risen

Happy Easter
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:I don't see what the big deal was. Crucifixion was a very common occurrence back in Jesus' day. Why was his special? Because his was voluntary? It seems quite easy to be killed. Let's have a Jesus come down and live to be age 87 without ever having to compromise any of his principles like most humans have at times just to see how he deals with the daily grind of modern life.
Just to throw the proverbial cat, someone (in clergy) recently suggested to me that a good antidote to the mainly catholic notion that suicide is an unforgivable sin is that Jesus knew he was about to die, could easily have prevented it, and chose not to - so technically committed suicide. I'm still pondering that one.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

For our idiom-living Khmer friends (and uneducated yanks): http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_th ... he_pigeons
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:I don't see what the big deal was. Crucifixion was a very common occurrence back in Jesus' day. Why was his special? Because his was voluntary?
This is what i have learned and been told. The reason that his Crucifixion was special, because he died for us (sinner). He had been crucified to save us from sin. His father (God) sent him to save us. His blood flow by being crucified saved us.

Then, when i had been told that Jesus is God. I was immediately confusing.
Last edited by Samouth on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

StroppyChops wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:I don't see what the big deal was. Crucifixion was a very common occurrence back in Jesus' day. Why was his special? Because his was voluntary? It seems quite easy to be killed. Let's have a Jesus come down and live to be age 87 without ever having to compromise any of his principles like most humans have at times just to see how he deals with the daily grind of modern life.
Just to throw the proverbial cat, someone (in clergy) recently suggested to me that a good antidote to the mainly catholic notion that suicide is an unforgivable sin is that Jesus knew he was about to die, could easily have prevented it, and chose not to - so technically committed suicide. I'm still pondering that one.
Doesn't seem any more a suicide to me than a soldier who follows the orders to go on a mission from which he knows he won't return. He neither took his own life nor was in a suicidal state of mind. He expressed fear and doubt, and in that fear begged he be spared his father's plan. But in the end, like a good soldier, he did his duty, and saved us all, if you believe that last bit.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic