If you're in the province and your visa expires in two months

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

If you're in the province and your visa expires in two months

Post by Kammekor »

I know predicting the future is extremely difficult, but I still would like to pick your mind. My visa expires mid-July 2021 and I can extend it without losing any time from mid June. But....

I have the feeling we're in the eye of the storm now. Lockdown blankets have ended, interprovincial travel is open again and provinces are advised not to quarantine anyone coming from another province. Following this the people quarantined in my village have been released today.

From where we are now, two things can happen. Things will continue as they currently are and we'll be facing triple digit daily cases. Everything will stay open and maybe regulations will be loosened even more. I consider this scenario to be pretty unlikely.

Another scenario is the virus is spreading across the country as we speak and we'll start noticing in a week or two. Followed by new travel bans, local lockdowns etc etc.

Currently I am indecisive what to do. Make the inconvenient and expensive trip to Phnom Penh to have my visa extended while it's still possible or wait for another two months accepting the risk of overstaying.

Your two cents?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: If you're in the province and your visa expires in two months

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'd wait until there is exactly one month left on it and then do it.
If the worst happens, you can send it to PP, can you not? Even in the full lockdown, trucks were making the trip.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 pm I know predicting the future is extremely difficult, but I still would like to pick your mind. My visa expires mid-July 2021 and I can extend it without losing any time from mid June. But....

I have the feeling we're in the eye of the storm now. Lockdown blankets have ended, interprovincial travel is open again and provinces are advised not to quarantine anyone coming from another province. Following this the people quarantined in my village have been released today.

From where we are now, two things can happen. Things will continue as they currently are and we'll be facing triple digit daily cases. Everything will stay open and maybe regulations will be loosened even more. I consider this scenario to be pretty unlikely.

Another scenario is the virus is spreading across the country as we speak and we'll start noticing in a week or two. Followed by new travel bans, local lockdowns etc etc.

Currently I am indecisive what to do. Make the inconvenient and expensive trip to Phnom Penh to have my visa extended while it's still possible or wait for another two months accepting the risk of overstaying.

Your two cents?
I'd put your passport in a taxi by itself, let the agent do the heavy lifting like usual and not think of it again. No need to go to PP personally for a menial job like that imo
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

As long as they don't test more than 7000 a day, the numbers are not likely to climb much above 1000. In a month or two many of the red zone will be vaccinated and their positives should decline. As long as they don't test to much in the boonies, the positives can't be counted to much (and worried about).

The fact they opened up with higher numbers than when they locked down implies the (government) panic is over, the important people are now fully protected and the rest can wait for their vaccine and take their chances in the meantime.

Unless hospitals are literally overrun with people carrying in very sick people and dumping them at the doors (like India) I think the government has made it clear what their strategy is; vaccinate as fast as possible while taking some basic precautions that don't completely destroy the economy, or the parts of it that they care about.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Thanks all. To be honest, I am pretty reluctant to send my passport by taxi. The nearest embassy if something goes wrong is in Bangkok. Could as well be on the moon. Losing my passport under current conditions is like opening a door to hell.

I think I agree with Doc about the changed paradigm. From full panic to 'let it run it's course'.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:50 pm Thanks all. To be honest, I am pretty reluctant to send my passport by taxi. The nearest embassy if something goes wrong is in Bangkok. Could as well be on the moon. Losing my passport under current conditions is like opening a door to hell.

I think I agree with Doc about the changed paradigm. From full panic to 'let it run it's course'.
Understand your concern regarding taxi and sensitive documents, yet never had an issue in hundreds of such experiences myself.

However, as it is; there is a J&T express in your province which does secure, trackable and insured deliveries. Basically a DHL/FedEx competitior. Worth bearing in mind
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic