400 bucks to fly to the uk?!?!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: 400 bucks to fly to the uk?!?!

Post by Freightdog »

Supposedly so- All travel required a COVID negative test prior to flight, within 72hrs of travel. However, there were several reports of arrivals via Seoul being tested COVID positive within what should otherwise be a 'safe period'.

Safe being a very subjective description. Given the, yes relatively few reports, I opted to travel a few days later by Singapore, as I couldn't risk getting caught up in enhanced quarantine treatment.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Cambodia is currently on the amber list.

Amber list countries and territories

What you must do if you have been in an amber country or territory in the 10 days before you arrive in England.

You should not travel to amber list countries or territories for leisure purposes.

Before travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:

complete a passenger locator form
take a COVID-19 test
book and pay for day 2 and day 8 COVID-19 travel tests - to be taken after arrival in England

On arrival in England
On arrival in England you must:

quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the ‘Test to Release’ scheme.

Click the link for a full list of green, amber and red countries.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... ng-england

Even if you just get a connecting flight through a country on the red list you will have to pay to quarantine in a government hotel.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:14 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am
alexvanlaar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 am Dubai NOT on the red list, only need PCR-test not older than 72 hrs. UK won't make problems. I checked it out, 'cause I fly back tomorrow for a C19 jab.
From BKK by the way via DXB.
If your travel agent told you this, sue them!
People look for Dubai and because they don't see it think it's ok. The UAE also covers Abu Dhabi so, Emirates (Dubai) & Etihad (Abu Dhabi) are both non starters for getting back to the UK from here. So too is Qatar (Doha) so all those new Arab airlines are no good.

In practice, for a one stop flight there is: via Korea - anywhere between $650 and $900 and via Singapore at $900. Singapore Airlines is the best option in terms of time, quality of airline and short layover of 2 hours, against 6+ in Seoul.

The flight times for Korean are also horrendous. Singapore Airlines will have you tucked up in your seat on the SIN-LHR leg before midnight - which is exactly the same time your Korean Airlines flight from hell is just leaving Phnom Penh. It costs a bit more but so what.

Also, Singapore Airlines arrives into Heathrow Terminal 2 where there is a testing station so you can get your Day 2 test on Day 0, which means 2 days less at the other end of quarantine.

As for your swab test, it has been covered in detail here:
ask-the-expats-questions-answers/swab-t ... hilit=swab
Sorry, I forgot to mention my final destination is AMS.
This morning I checked in already (online) with Emirates to DXB. Nopro! My flight is monday 1:45 AM.
They would NOT accept it if there was any problem, I guess???

Had to get another PCR today in BKK. They told me IF they find ANY!!! traces of Covid I can forget it! So lets hope.
Anyway the Netherlands are not as strict as GB.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s an easy mistake to make.
Over the road in Belgium, pretty much anything outside of Belgium, (save for a small number of places that have recently been on the UK red list, in which case they’re not) is on their red list.

I think it’s probably worth taking a year or two off while the world gets it’s shit together. Unfortunately, moon base arfa might end up being made in china.*

I’ll have to keep Amsterdam in mind, though.

Note. Little c, as they’re already too big.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic