Philippines tells China to F&^% off

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Philippines tells China to F&^% off

Post by Freightdog »

Brody wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:20 pm
There's simply no explanation for these things, beyond the possibility that these days-

The best, most appropriate candidate for the job, simply wouldn't apply for the job (or want it).

Thread drift alert! For those who get sensitive about such things.

I was browsing back through history earlier at British prime ministers, (and without getting into a debate about class/aristocracy, etc). if you go back a hundred/hundred and fifty years, there's several repeat performers. Holding office more than once, but not necessarily consecutively. There's not so many doing that from the mid 20th Century onwards. Likewise in the US (though admittedly, the US has a little more history of voting out some of it's presidents in aggressive fashion)

So, what are we left with as leaders?
megalomaniacs, buffoons, chancers, etc.

The sort who seemingly talk the good fight, get in, and prove their worth by not getting a second stab at it.

Bollot papers with choices, not necessarily of your preference, but sometimes the least worst available option.
The highlight of Buffoon J's career being his cringeworthy stint on Have I got News for you. (my personal opinion). Ideal candidate, if you ask me, in the modern mememetwitterverse.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yobbo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm What could go wrong, we're on the winning team!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You can not win a war with long range bombing. (alone, or even mostly)
I reckon China will be ready to take casualties and loose ships - in numbers.

Not so sure about the West.
Recent history demonstrates the reverse. Risk avoidance is our over-riding current military dogma these days.
Bombing, missiles, drones and special forces. ie Hands-off warfare by proxy.
Very limited.

Will our citizens back home go into a full-on war footing, and take big losses, that may make the Vietnam effort look like a high school prom?
- especially for "some bum fuck countries on the other side of the planet" (not my term)
Let's see...

Nukes? Nukes did not defeat Japan. That task was already done.
It just avoided a relatively few more allied casualties.
(ps, historical research since the war ended clearly shows the "hand-to-hand fight to the death" would have been much weaker and shorter than was feared at the time. Their war machine was exhausted and totally broken by then)
The only way to win a nuke war with China would be with an all out planet-ending nuclear firestorm. A couple of Hiroshimas just won't cut it.

imo only, as i see it
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

China will take over those areas that are strategically importantto them, they basically give a fuck on the worlds opinion and some ruling from a court they dont accept. And nobody will give a fart about it or help the Phillies get those rocky areas back. A few sanctions here and there to show that the world is not completely indifferent..but thats about it.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duterte will/has found out that cuddling up with the Chinese and telling the US 'we don't need you any more' for lots of money and investment comes with strings attached. And one of those is that they will want control of those Phil atolls for 1. strategic control of the waterways, and 2. control of the fishery zones to feed their hungry nation.

He will regret that decision dearly I think.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

While comparing the over-all population of China against various countries one needs to remember who makes up the bulk of the armed forces.
Young men
I'm not sure what to think on that. Looking at what has been happening in Burma, it's hard to really comprehend (with a western educated mind) why the lower ranks en-masse haven't openly revolted against the treatment of what are ultimately people who might be their own family members. They aren't acting in defence of their country (from our perspective), yet there isn't yet a counter coup.
We'd need the honest thought of someone under that regime (Burma or China) not enthralled with their propaganda, long term mental conditioning. You'd be just as well off getting a rational argument about why both sides in Middle Eastern conflicts shout Alahu Akhbar having just obliterated one of their former neighbours/friends/family. The ideology and thinking are so alien.
Last edited by Freightdog on Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm You can not win a war with long range bombing. (alone, or even mostly)
I reckon China will be ready to take casualties and loose ships - in numbers.

Not so sure about the West.
Recent history demonstrates the reverse. Risk avoidance is our over-riding current military dogma these days.
Bombing, missiles, drones and special forces. ie Hands-off warfare by proxy.
Very limited.

Will our citizens back home go into a full-on war footing, and take big losses, that may make the Vietnam effort look like a high school prom?
- especially for "some bum fuck countries on the other side of the planet" (not my term)
Let's see...

Nukes? Nukes did not defeat Japan. That task was already done.
It just avoided a relatively few more allied casualties.
(ps, historical research since the war ended clearly shows the "hand-to-hand fight to the death" would have been much weaker and shorter than was feared at the time. Their war machine was exhausted and totally broken by then)
The only way to win a nuke war with China would be with an all out planet-ending nuclear firestorm. A couple of Hiroshimas just won't cut it.

imo only, as i see it
By coincidence I just listened to a review of a book just out. This is the link to what the book is about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_Mafia
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

nemo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm He really brought a lot of class to the office- all of it low.
The Hamberder King.
Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm Big Daikon wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Brody wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm
(Herr Trump, maybe take note)
He was voted out of office.
Gone but not forgotten.

Based on that photo, a precious memory with every bowel movement.
Yeah, teach us about class nemo.

I suspect this is a set up photo, maybe to appear to be a man of the people. I doubt that he tucks into shit fast food
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm
nemo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm He really brought a lot of class to the office- all of it low.
The Hamberder King.
Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm Big Daikon wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Brody wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm
(Herr Trump, maybe take note)
He was voted out of office.
Gone but not forgotten.

Based on that photo, a precious memory with every bowel movement.
Yeah, teach us about class nemo.

I suspect this is a set up photo, maybe to appear to be a man of the people. I doubt that he tucks into shit fast food
ImageImageImageImageImage
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

I have noticed that whenever somebody posts anything remotely negative about Amerika or Trump you have to come back with a reply. Trump is trailer trash with money. There was some news reports a few weeks ago at the expensive organic veg box deliveries to 10 downing street. Trump would probably call it "rabbit food" Why not just accept that trump stuffs his fat face with processed fast food cos he has no class, education, or style :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic